Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
I think I need to Upgrade
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pads are cheaper than an ER visit, and they can make falling or going over the bars fun sometimes!

Get the armor!! your body will appreciate it later in life. Your wife will appreciate it also when you don't come home broken.

·
Will Guide for Beer
727 Posts
Over the past 6-months, I have been riding harder lines and more difficult trails. As with any issue, every riding partner I have has a different opinion: To get pads or not to get pads?

A good friend and riding partner from Flag has been giving me the buisness about my next purchase of some good armor: "I saw a TOOL on Thumper last week who rode up Raptor with his armor strapped to his Camelback, and then he put the pads on for the
Thumper/Lime Kiln drop back to Deadhorse. The TOOL had a 6" travel
Kona. Don't be "that guy"."

And of course, my wife says, "Exactly what kind of trails are you now riding that you would need this armor?"

Then there is another riding partner from Sedona: "Dude, I can't believe that you don't already have armor!!"

I've always riden technical trails and done some decent hucking/step downs, calculated and clean. Never really missed having the extra exo-skin. Now that I am stepping it up, I feel that the armor would give me a boost of confidence. It's been many years since I've pushed the envelope, so the question goes, keep on riding clean and perfect or bust out some armor?

:skep:

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
"I saw a TOOL on Thumper last week who rode up Raptor with his armor strapped to his Camelback, and then he put the pads on for the

TOOL.

get pads. it sucks taking your buddies to the er for stitches. pads are cheap.

·
parenting for gnarness
6,251 Posts
get armor!

i was in the same boat as you, rode National 50 times without armor, but once i got my 6inch bike and started going harder, i feel naked without it. I probably fall less, but the consequences are higher.

Try them on, realize that anything will feel bulky and hot in the shop. You can go expensive with the 661 Evos at about $100/pair, or look for deals. You can always sell or trade used ones and recoup some money if you don't like em. I found some Rockgarden shorties for $15 online from BlueSky, hated em, but they saved me from 2 falls which was worth the price. I have been using some Roach Rally full knee\shins for 1.5 yrs that are just too bulky for long enduro days, so i bought some 661 Tomcats as a complement for trails I dont expect to fall on -- my gawd i have armor upgraditis! Falls aside, my most common injuries are banging my knees into the top tube climbing rocks, or smacking myself carrying my bike up hike-a-bikes -- pads take a lot of the bruising out of that. Shop smart and you will be out for less than $100 knees and elbows.

The last bad fall I had was on Hawes on an "easy" section I've ridden hundreds of times, small bike, no armor, 3 stitches. Its enough to make you wear your stuff all the time.

Oops

·
PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
4,325 Posts
Rode Bootleg last week with just elbow pads and knee pads. Ended up taking a shot to the back by my seat. Where was my full armor.....in the car of course!

I would at least pick up some 661 kyle straight knee guards, they have saved me numerous times.

·
Something goes here...
2,066 Posts
I'm in the minority. I can see the need for armor but I don't own it and probably never will. I've ridden Goat Camp, National and any other trail w/o it. I've had my falls so maybe I'm lucky so far...or maybe I know how to fall...I have no idea. But armor just isn't my thing.

·
Will Guide for Beer
727 Posts
6 for 6

OK, so it's like a 6 out of 6 votes for armor. Much like Chollaball, my last bad wreck was xc, light bike and resulted in cracked ribs. Not going for chest protection or full face at this time, especially when riding xc :eekster: . I guess mountain biking is a contact sport, no matter how you look at it.

Leaning toward TLD Combat knee/shin protection, still wondering about elbow vs full forearm protection ... Too many choices. I really just want something that will stay put without moving.

Cholla - Nice rash shot. I'll have to send that to my buddy in Flag. :p

·
Registered
765 Posts
Crash_FLMB said:
I'm in the minority. I can see the need for armor but I don't own it and probably never will. I've ridden Goat Camp, National and any other trail w/o it. I've had my falls so maybe I'm lucky so far...or maybe I know how to fall...I have no idea. But armor just isn't my thing.
Yeah, but you weigh like 105lbs. Have you ever seen a feather hit the ground hard?:p

·
pedaller
2,400 Posts
I can't wait until Durtgurl posts on this thread! :thumbsup:

How do you protect your scapula anyway? :confused:

I don't own any armor but I should.

I would never ride without a helmet, right? Are my limbs not equally as valuable?

Something else to add to my Xmas list! :thumbsup:

·
lurker extraordinaire
270 Posts
zul said:
A good friend and riding partner from Flag has been giving me the buisness about my next purchase of some good armor: "I saw a TOOL on Thumper last week who rode up Raptor with his armor strapped to his Camelback, and then he put the pads on for the
I'm wondering what's so "tool'ish" about that? :confused:

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
Armor. Wear it, love it.

When I started DH'ing, I wore all the armor I could find, got a little nutty actually.

Then stopped wearing any, except for knee pads.

Now, I'm back to a pressure suit and knee/shin guards and a DOT helmet. Getting a leatt soon too. I'm going faster than I was and taking more risks = serious potential for injury. I'd rather save my money than have to pay for stitches when I could have just worn pads.

Most important point - find armor that's comfortable and stays in place. Everyone is different. I used a RockGardn jacket - great product, but did not fit me right. Bought a 661 pressure suit - awesome fit. Same thing with my knee/shins, bought a set of AXO TMKP guards - best guard I've ever worn, they didn't move even after a whole day of shuttling and a crash. So try on all you can and find the armor that works for you.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Armor gooooood-shattered kneecaps baaaaad

I have used knee guards and elbow guards for many years when riding rockier terrain. Years ago I used some roller blade knee guards. Now there are lots of choices.

I prefer armor you can use the entire ride. Seems like you fall in stupid places where you don't expect it. You plan on putting on the armor at the top of the climb, and do a small downhill in the middle of the climb, and next thing you know you're on your face.

I am using the Dainese 3X guards now, and they fit really well with good protection, are relatively cool, and don't interfere with pedaling at all.

·
Something goes here...
2,066 Posts
kendogg said:
Yeah, but you weigh like 105lbs. Have you ever seen a feather hit the ground hard?:p
HA! Good on Ken, but you're 43 lbs. off my friend....actually, I've been kind of lazy lately and haven't been working out as much as I should so I'm up to a whopping 152! :madman:

Still riding the Redline?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.