Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
....here are some preliminary findings on the Fox DHX 5.0....

First the "GOOD":
this shock feels very, very good! Just did a short 1 hour ride on my usual local XC (steep, rooty, rocky, twisty- ST).....it was funny at first, similar to the "brain" shock, my pro-pedal adjustment did nothing & was bobbin' like a mutha in granny! Somewhere in the middle of the ride it kicked in & never had another issue. It really reduces pedal input resonance to nill. Also, it doesn't feel "dead" like the 5th Element. Very lively like the RC for J-hops & such...while the rear still sticks (tracks) very nicely. I definitely could feel a good bit of difference from the Romic. Very plush on the small stuff & incredibly Firm under pedalling power.

the "BAD":
there was no manual included with the shock & it was my impression that there are none available yet.....gonna call Fox tech in 5 min.

the "UGLY":
OK, here's where things get dirty. Coil removed....full compression of shock & there is definite contact with down tube (enough to gouge the powder coat) with the volume adjuster (bottom out) full out. Adjuster half way in/ out allows for ~1mm of clearance. Granted, this is with foam bumper fully compressed & last night (with coil installed) I could not get it to touch by jumping up & down attempting to bottom it with my weight ( I can usually do this on all my bikes). I actually prefer the feel with the adjuster set @ half way so no real biggie.....however, it is still a bummer to have to deal with the situation all together ( I mean, you ultimately want a perfect fit).

.........more thoughts as I get more time. It seems to keep getting better as the break-in period progresses.......

.....also, the 500# spring feels good (I need a 600# on a regular RC setup) w/ 150 PSI.....still need to get Fox's recommendation for Psi
<!-- / message --><!-- message, attachments, sig -->

·
mad aussie
1,129 Posts
Any chance of a picture?

Thanks for the review! Is there any way you can post a pic with the shock on the bike? I have always liked Fox, and this might persuade me to go for an upgrade if my Romic ever spills it oily guts.

·
mad aussie
1,129 Posts
For some reason I thought it was a RFX.
OK, I'm getting a little old and a lot senile!
Maybe I need to swap my 'spot for a scooter with a basket on the front!

(actually wombats dont have great vision, they have pretty acute smell and hearing, being primarily burrowing animals)

·
Brass Nipples!
2,006 Posts
Manual's online.

Go to the Fox website, go to the manual section and the 2005 rear shock owner's manual is online as a PDF. They don't have any info on their main page.

I'm playing with my DHX 5.0 now, we'll have to compare notes. The adjustments seem to have a huge range of effect.

·
Registered
6,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bob the Wheelbuilder said:
Go to the Fox website, go to the manual section and the 2005 rear shock owner's manual is online as a PDF. They don't have any info on their main page.

I'm playing with my DHX 5.0 now, we'll have to compare notes. The adjustments seem to have a huge range of effect.
....yours on a Spot?........

·
Brass Nipples!
2,006 Posts
Naw, an Ellsworth Moment.

I have a couple of threads going on the Ellsworth page. There is a shot of the shock in the "first pics" thread.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Interesting post by "Elsworth Bicycles" over on the Ellsworth board that states the Fox DHX 5.0 is a no-go on the 5 Spot. The reference was made while comparing the Moment to the 5 Spot. Hmmm.
It appears as if the DHX is definitely a viable option with the proper adjutment right? Do you think this shock will work with all sizes of the 5 Spot or will the small front triangles be a problem?

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
Dave in Driggs said:
Interesting post by "Elsworth Bicycles" over on the Ellsworth board that states the Fox DHX 5.0 is a no-go on the 5 Spot. The reference was made while comparing the Moment to the 5 Spot. Hmmm.
It appears as if the DHX is definitely a viable option with the proper adjutment right? Do you think this shock will work with all sizes of the 5 Spot or will the small front triangles be a problem?
I'm just as curious as you. I just wrote up a long post so that maybe Turner would comment, but there was some kind of error when I hit the submit button. I'll re-post when I have time, unless someone beats me to it.

·
Registered
6,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dave in Driggs said:
.......no, the dhx is not going to be recommended for the spot by Turner or Fox.

·
Registered
6,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ozlongboarder said:
Is that due to clearance issues or some other reason?
...clearance. I have a large frame...so the others will only be worse. It is going to be fine for me & I made it work, but officially it is not recommended. If you are willing to peen the down tube, you could easily make it work on a medium or large :D . I decided that the shock is worth it! It clears easily in the configuration I need, so I am definitely holding onto it. If you like a real linear shock setup....it may not work for you.

·
what a joke
2,280 Posts
jncarpenter said:
...clearance. I have a large frame...so the others will only be worse. It is going to be fine for me & I made it work, but officially it is not recommended. If you are willing to peen the down tube, you could easily make it work on a medium or large :D . I decided that the shock is worth it! It clears easily in the configuration I need, so I am definitely holding onto it. If you like a real linear shock setup....it may not work for you.
Hopefully I will have a little more room with my XL frame. The feed back I have heard about it says its a VERY good shock. Larry, got time for that pic yet :D

·
Registered
6,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
.......not really sure why the edit post option is now unavailable.......however I wanted to edit my original post to clarify my error concerning the fit issue. Because my initial test was FLAWED as Pete discovered, my prior conclusion regarding the fit was incorrect. Upon applying the proper method for testing (using the spring retainer ) the DHX 5.0 actually fits a LARGE 5 Spot just fine with 2mm of clearance under full compression & rubber bumper the thickness of a dime:p Sorry for any undue confusion!!!!! Large owners rejoice!

·
Registered
850 Posts
jncarpenter said:
.......not really sure why the edit post option is now unavailable.......however I wanted to edit my original post to clarify my error concerning the fit issue. Because my initial test was FLAWED as Pete discovered, my prior conclusion regarding the fit was incorrect. Upon applying the proper method for testing (using the spring retainer ) the DHX 5.0 actually fits a LARGE 5 Spot just fine with 2mm of clearance under full compression & rubber bumper the thickness of a dime:p Sorry for any undue confusion!!!!! Large owners rejoice!
Ok, so im not the only one who cant edit posts?. Cool.

I also re did my test. This isnt such a good pic, but you can see it is much better than my first round..

I reduced the amount of bottom out also(screwing knob out) I might keep the knob off just to be on the safer side. I think theres plenty of room to the valve, and maybe ill call to see if that valve is easily replaced. If it is there shouldnt really be much risk in trying to shave a tad off it. Biggest concern would be bunging it up so you couldnt put air in with a shock pump.......

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
jncarpenter said:

Man, where would this forum be without Pete here to correct us? It's a good thing we have a guy like him to keep boobs like us straight.

·
Registered
6,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
...an update from Darren Murphy @ P.U.S.H. Industries:

Darren Murphy said:
Oh, yes, the infamous DHX. Can't give up all the information just yet, but we've had a couple of these units since Sea Otter and have been testing them over the summer in a controlled enviorment. Couple of notes:

1. Reservoir fit issues. We're making a new end cap that will still be adjustable but offer a lower stack height. ie 5 spot downtube issues.
2. The stock shock is awesome, repeat awesome out of the box and with a few tweaks, can be tuned to exceed your expectations.
3. We hope to have all of the DHX tuning components by the second week of September.
4. DHR meets DHX, what a match up. If only someone new how to make a remote verison....

Later,

Darren Murphy
Push Industries
:D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts