Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another wheel build question.I'm on the fence about carbon rims...mainly price...big surprise.Disclaimor I've never ridden carbon rims.Another factor is this wi;; probably be my last high end wheelbuild so the temptation to go all in is there.
That s aid as far as weight many high quality alloy rims are only slightly heavier then carbon so it comes down to how they actually feel.
I realize the whole build(especially tires) not just rims will influecne this.
Price point would be sub $500...NOX,Whiskey,Derby etc.
Here again are specifics.Bought a new Salsa Cutthroat.For those who are not familiar ...drop bar ,rigid,carbon fiber 29er.
I weight around 155.Riding is mainly mountain fire roads ranging surface...smooth to rutted,chunky jeep trails.I live in central PA so everything is up or down many climbs close to 1000" f/b long descents.I occasionally do singletrack that can be somewhat rooty at times.I classify myself as a more conservative rider.My days of feeling invincible are over.
Although I don't classify myself as a weight weenie per se...last week on one of those long climbs/in the heat/bleeding from a couple horsefly bites ...those moments I am one.
Also one of the most important parts my tire size currently is 2.2 but may increase slightly 2.3.
So thoughts on different rims/even ones to stay away frm.
Thanks.

·
Always in the wrong gear
3,330 Posts
Light Bicycle, Nextie and CarbonFan have proven their reliability time and time again not only on this forum but others as well. They come in well under your $500 budget. You might get BOTH rims for that price depending on what you want.
True, there is no lifetime warranty with these as there might be with others, but these are shady, cheap, ‘never-know-what-you’ll-get’ Chinese junk.

I would probably steer clear of anything on eBay that’s from a small nameless shop.

I’ve beat the hell out of 2 sets of Nexties and I have 2 friends on LB hoops and none of them have broken yet, going on 5 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Formerly of Kent
13,153 Posts
Why are you starting a new thread as opposed to posting in the thread with thousands and thousands of posts in it?

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
^^^ Probably because the other thread has thousands of posts? We could put all posts in all forums into a single thread, but that would make things hard to find and discussions hare to follow.

·
Always in the wrong gear
3,330 Posts
You said it yourself.

Nox and Derby are excellent -- both in quality and post-sale support.
LB, Nextie and CarbonFan all have solid, long established reputations for being a quality rim.
Some of those companies actually post in MTBR, and are reachable by email on a personal level, not just a 'customer service address.

That was a very unfortunately timed typo that you chose to sharp-shoot based on your personal biases.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Been riding cheap Nexties for several years now. I am husky and abuse wheels and have had no problems even while running low pressure. I would have fatigues the spoke holes of any alloy rim in that time frame.

·
turtles make me hot
11,673 Posts
I've built a bunch of wheels with Light Bicycle rims for customers. Haven't had any come back or heard anything bad.
They build up nice too.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I've built up a few sets of Light Bicycle for myself and friends with great results and no problems. Trying a set of BTLOS for my new build, haven't laced them yet but they appear to be every bit as nice as LB, maybe even a tiny bit nicer. Better pricing and exactly the spec I was looking for. I have high expectations for them, too. There seems to be little risk with the established brands of Chinese rims these days.

·
No Clue Crew
7,638 Posts
I personally prefer aluminum rims for my riding, but of all the carbon wheels I've owned, the LBs were my favorite from a toughness and ride quality standpoint.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I am talking about the wheelset with the I9 101, hard to find a better deal.

Yes you are right, the rims alone are more expensive than LB and others.

The warranty alone is worth the extra money, no question asked and they replace them.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.