Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 478 Posts

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Met up with lunamoose and freeskier46 to roll some new (to me) singletrack just about in my back yard. A few people asked how I would describe the trail...

It's got something for just about every skill level. Beginners could tackle most of this trail, yet there are enough technicals to keep intermediates and advanced entertained. This trail is incredibly scenic, offering stunning views of the Superstition range. And although you never climb particularly high, the climbs the trail does offer are a challenge and lift you to some really sweet view spots. Hardly is there a stretch of this trail that is straight; rather, it's a sinuous meandering ribbon of singletrack that winds and twists through drainages, around vegetation, over boulders, through somoe of the healthiest lower Sonoran Desert this side of Saguaro National Monument. There are technical moments: some of the climbs out of some of the drainages will test your climbing skills; sitchbacks on boulders are unexpected and force you to pick clean lines; frequent curves (really, this trail meanders like the Mississippi River!) will put your cornering skills on the line; and once on Lost Gold Mine Trail, well, there is the occasional hiker and horseback obstacles, along with some pretty gnar sections of jaggedy volcanic tuff. And the views just keep coming.

That it is this close to the Valley AND this under-utilized is a blessing as much (if not more) than baffling.

I hope you get there and give it a spin, let me know if I got it right..in the meantime, hopefully this photo album will give you an idea. Thanks for a fun day guys, look forward to riding with you again!

·
It's a slugfest!
742 Posts
I'm going to have to put this trail on my list. Thanks for stopping for all of those pictures in the slideshow. I know that pic taking kills the flow. Thanks for taking one for the team.

-SS

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
RandyBoy said:
Looks like a fun little ride there, based on the video clip. Thanks for sharing. Would this be worth hitting on the way back from Picket Post?
RB, I'd recommend it. Bear in mind that it's about 10 miles total as mapped, and I know that AZ Trail from PP can leave you...thirsty. I've ridden this twice now, and having ridden AZT from PP, Hawes, MMP, SoMo, etc., I highly recommend this one. It's got it's own flavor for sure, think you'll enjoy.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
SlowbutSure said:
I live in San Tan Valley so this trail is close for me. Where do I access it from? Thanks
SBS, you'll take US-60 E to left on Kings Ranch Road (5th traffic light, Walgreens on the corner). Drive approximately 2.4 miles, and look for unnamed pullout on the right that ends at a locked pipe gate (there is also a pole-mounted wooden sign over the entrance, but I don't recall that it says anything). Climb over the pipe gate, and follow the dirt road in, crossing a wash or two, when dirt road veers left, look for small cairn on east side of road. This is the beginning of the trail. Note that the trail will cross a few quad trails along the way, the trail is well-marked on either side with cairns.

Have fun!

·
Registered
285 Posts
Thanks for the directions. I get my new bike Tuesday and may hit this trail up Friday. If you are available I would be happy to ping ya. Thanks again

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey all--so today after work, I went in search of the "Quartz Ridge" section of this trail system, and I found it in a round-about way. Holy cow, riding this section counter-clockwise is for masochists (but hey, it's me we're talking about...). Views just as stunning, very technical, very steep climbs, and a lot of the trail is "dug in" to the schist bedrock which makes picking your lines extra critical. I had a ball, and as soon as the Garmin site is back up, I'll post the gps data from today. Lunamoose, how familiar are you with this section? And how about we organize a few trail days to do some maintenance, repairs and restoration work? In any case, the more of this system I am discovering, the more fun I am having!

·
Registered
285 Posts
Okay I have informed the wife I have to go on a scouting expedition on a new trail to see if it is a good one for her to ride. That means Friday is looking good. I will update this thread on Thursday. I am very excited about picking up my new bike tomorrow and will be riding as much as possible this week!

·
Banned
7,930 Posts
Hey all, I tried to do a review of this trail last Friday, as it looked so promising. I was hoping for a ridealong with Gila, but alas, I sent my PM to him too late. Next time I get out that way, I'll try to get in on a sunset ride, which BTW, last Friday was simply amazing! I had to get down to Tucson for the AZT Jamboree ride Saturday Morning. Now that was another stunning ride.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
RandyBoy, my sincere apologies, saw your post too late. I'd love to roll the Gold Canyon trails with you anytime, weekday evenings after 6 (better as the days get longer) and weekends are my best times. I am glad you had fun on the Jamboree, which group were you in, thee 8 or the 10 o'clock shuttle?

·
Control Freak
326 Posts
We just finished this trail a few hours ago and it was a blast...Parked down away from the trailhead where you come out from the actual trail and rode the street up to the trailhead and then according to my GPS was 10.22 miles. Whoever made that trail is one hell of a person.

This was by far one of the most amazing trails I have ever been on. Of course I have been doing this for 7-8 months now..LOL The in and out of the washes was fun..I left this trail with a HUGE smile on my face. I will be back for more! I have pictures I took on my phone...the scenery is awesome!

Tim

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Cool, Tim, it always leaves a smile on my face. You'll have to throw in the Quartz Ridge section next time. mtbikeaz has a good map of both, "The Crazy Eight."

Chaseco, man, I would love to today, but I'm home sick and up to my elbows in my washing machine trying to fix the water pump (for reals, skinny-tire!).

·
How much further ???
2,371 Posts
hatedg said:
We just finished this trail a few hours ago and it was a blast...Parked down away from the trailhead where you come out from the actual trail and rode the street up to the trailhead and then according to my GPS was 10.22 miles. Whoever made that trail is one hell of a person.

This was by far one of the most amazing trails I have ever been on. Of course I have been doing this for 7-8 months now..LOL The in and out of the washes was fun..I left this trail with a HUGE smile on my face. I will be back for more! I have pictures I took on my phone...the scenery is awesome!

Tim

ssshhhhhh It sucked. No one should ride it. Ever.

1 - 20 of 478 Posts