Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Team NFI
5,303 Posts
I took my son and his friend out to Sunnyside last month, thinking it was going to be a hit. I have to say, with all due respect to the good intentions behind the project, the siting is a bit of a challenge. I knew going in that it would be a wee bit noisy sandwiched between 12 odd lanes of traffic, but what I wasn't prepared for was getting across lakeshore and then the cross-street from the parking lot with two 8 year-olds on their bikes. we were stranded for a number of minutes on that tiny pedestrian island half way through the crossing, and with the kids being their usual antsy selves it was distinctly dicey. Then to make matters slightly worse, both kids took one look at it and declared joyride was better. It didn't matter to them that it was a beautiful late spring day and no time to be inside (although i couldn't help noticing a comparative lack of shade on the site and immediately worrying about whether i put on enough sunblock). So we promptly packed up and drove out to markham. I can't speak to designs of the big jump lines, but as for the pump track which is all my son can ride anyway, the one down on the flats is significantly better. Not to mention the shade, relative quiet, and a great user vibe. Can't help thinking a more entrepreneurial municipality would have found a way to make the flats site work.
My mother in laws place is near Highland Creek and the Rouge. It is just such an exercise even by myself to get to Sunnyside that in the end it is not worth the time and effort. Easier to ride there or the Don.

·
Team NFI
5,303 Posts
Well that's quite a bit of money indeed. Have to ask the question, did the authorization for that expenditure come originally from the Miller government, or the Ford regime? I'm thinking the latter but don't have any specific knowledge of the issue.
My hunch is based on work I have been seeing in Highland Creek and what has been done previously in the East Don...specifically the section from Taylor Creek end. This will be done with flood remediation work and such to the channel. They have to build a route in for machinery so can do two things.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Well I'd forgotten about this thread, but I did just this season go in and take out that dilapidated old structure. Yes, the pavement is coming, and I thought it would be a nice gesture to the trca so they don't have to deal with it. Better yet, I salvaged some of the materials, so they can be recycled and the dna of that structure will 'live on' in another form hehehe.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts