Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

61 - 80 of 119 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,810 Posts
If it rode like a Specialized, we’d tell you to buy a Specialized, even then, which Specialized?

So no, it rides like a GG bike, supportive through the mid strike, plush initial stroke but not soft, fairly linear, my tuner called it digressive.

Find a local GG rider and get a demo.

Oh come on guys. I am asking a real question

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

·
battle stag commander
207 Posts
Does garvana rides like specialize bikes?

I cant speak to that as I have never ridden speshy bikes. There is a valid comparison here between two brands that use Horst link suspension. In some ways, GG bikes are more similar to the traditional FSR bikes like stumpy than some other horst bikes like transition or Norco. But that says very little about how the bike rides in comparison. I think the most direct comparison would obviously be the Speshy Enduro, which does look cool, and is aimed at a very similar buyer to the Gnarvana.

With all that said, buy a GG, save a good chunk of change, get an excellent bike, support an awesome company doing amazing things.

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
If it rode like a Specialized, we’d tell you to buy a Specialized, even then, which Specialized?

So no, it rides like a GG bike, supportive through the mid strike, plush initial stroke but not soft, fairly linear, my tuner called it digressive.

Find a local GG rider and get a demo.
What is diressive?

·
battle stag commander
207 Posts
you can always watch AndreXTR videos to understand suspension better. This is his rear suspension fundamentals video-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1dUV6pYztg.
The over-simplified version is-
-progressive means your suspension requires more force to compress the shock as you move into the travel.
-Linear means your suspension requires roughly the same force as you move through the travel.
-Regressive, or Digressive means your suspension requires less force as you move through the travel.

Horst link bikes range from mildly progressive to wildly progressive, but I dont think there are any examples of truly linear, and certainly regressive horst links. The GG bikes are mostly in the middle of the progressive zone for modern bikes.

Also check out Antonio Osuna's site Linkage Design (Linkage Design: Resultados de la búsqueda de guerrilla), associated with the Linkage software and Bikechecker.com.

·
Premium Member
8,810 Posts
What is diressive?

Sorry, digressive.

I think the tuner was differentiating between the more common progressive designs.

Even with an air shock, I don't notice ramp up, so it seems to be less progressive than most which makes sense since a coil shock works well.

It's really hard to compare suspension designs, rarely is one better than another, it's all personal preference, though if like one design you might find one that is similar ....

I don't think GG bikes are all that similar to Specialized, but then it's been a while since I rode a big S bike.

Within reason, any bike can be tuned to ride within a broad range of needs, so a GG bike could probably work well for most riders, though in my experience the GG bikes are more supportive than plush, and more damp than poppy.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I have a question on insertion length for the Gnarvana and the GG folks haven't answered me this week and I need to put in an order for a dropper post this weekend.

I want to get the dropper with the most "drop" or extension, but since I am at a point where my inseam and the standover height of the bike are close, I really want the dropper inserted all the way in, so the seat is as close to the standover height as possible. Assuming on a size 3 that this number is close to what it is on other GG frames, so wondering if anyone has this number?

BTW, the GG site has some info on dropper post sizing, but it is for recommended extension, which is silly because that is really not dependent on frame size or mfg'er at all. I like a 150-170 dropper on pretty much every bike I ride, but I also want to have my feet flat on the ground when I drop the post all the way and stop, so I go as big as I can with the dropper post fully inserted to the collar.

·
Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
2,867 Posts
I've got a 33" inseam and I measured my post in anticipation of a new dropper - I could run nearly 210mm of drop.

I'd suggest just getting an adjustable travel post like the OneUp v2. You could give a 210mm and shim it down to 190 if neccesary for maximum drop.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I've got a 33" inseam and I measured my post in anticipation of a new dropper - I could run nearly 210mm of drop.

I'd suggest just getting an adjustable travel post like the OneUp v2. You could give a 210mm and shim it down to 190 if neccesary for maximum drop.
Thanks, that gives me lots of options and room for error then. I dont need anything near that much total extension, I actually dont pop up as high as most people do when climbing due to a knee problem, so I will have no problems.

·
Premium Member
8,810 Posts
Once you go 200mm + dropper there’s no going back.

I’d take 250mm if I could get it 🙄

Reactions: Paul in CH

·
Say Car Ramrod!!
1,819 Posts
Well I am going to get the gnarvana. Used but still going to be rad!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
248 Posts
Anyone go 29/27.5 on this? And does it cost more?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
If you are looking to go 29F and 27.5R that is referred to as the megaSMASH. I think it is 40$ (or was it 60) more than if you speced a stock SMASH (remember the front triangles are all the same across their lineup just different seat stay kits, so you can run up to a 170mm 29er fork on the front no problem).

check out video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=617N2bH6N4k&t=614s for a rippers thoughts on the megaSMASH

Since I am just someone on a message board I will suggest you contact Nikki over at GG and talk with her about that and any other questions you may have have.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
If you are looking to go 29F and 27.5R that is referred to as the megaSMASH. I think it is 40$ (or was it 60) more than if you speced a stock SMASH (remember the front triangles are all the same across their lineup just different seat stay kits, so you can run up to a 170mm 29er fork on the front no problem).

Since I am just someone on a message board I will suggest you contact Nikki over at GG and talk with her about that and any other questions you may have have.
Good to know thanks.

·
2,867 Posts
Yea the Gnarvana would end up with a very low, almost too-low bottom bracket it were ran as a mullet.

The MegaSmash (Megatrail with 29er front end setup) would have a slightly higher than stock BB, but otherwise pretty close to the most "purpose built" mullet design.

·
always licking the glass
2,388 Posts

check out video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=617N2bH6N4k&t=614s for a rippers thoughts on the megaSMASH

As a BAMF, I'll answer. You're correct :)

This. Basically, you need the Megatrail stays to run a Megasmash. I believe the Gnarvana already has the 230x65 shock, so you'll just need the stays.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Got an update email from GG, my Gnarvana was ordered on May, they are doing final painting now. I was told it would ship in 3-4 weeks, it's coming up on 6 weeks tomorrow. They say they have some supply chain issues and so some delay in the build process. Thankfully I am just getting a frame only and so it wont be much longer for them to put suspension pivots on and pack up/ship to me...

·
2,867 Posts
Here's how to look at this:

With larger companies, they order hundreds of frames all at once, and the factory builds them in the big bulk shipments for pennies on the dollar. They are shipped in a container by the hundreds, then arrived and are distributed to dealers right about the same time the brand announced "THE ALL NEW 2020 SPECIANTORCRUZEETEEDALENCAL!"

That allows the consumer to rush out and buy them immediately only hindered by stock.

Buyers of GG product need to remember that in reality, they manufacture more similarly to a custom builder. They don't want to pay to build a bunch of bikes they can't sell.

You order, they weld/build. If you happen to order at the same time as 20 other people, that's going to create a backlog. The same time as 50 other people? That'll create some supply chain issues (especially right now with COVID.)

Only once the backlog/waitlist is filled do they start to make some extra stock for immediate order fulfillment and warranty stock. Until then, it's a first-come-first-save basis.

I know this pisses off some folks, especially when GG claims a 3-4 week wait, then changes it to 6-8 weeks. I waited 11 weeks for my Trail Pistol because I ordered when the big rush happened in 2019. I just reconciled that with the fact that I'm getting an American made, welded by ColoRADans, affordable carbon bike that is in demand.

·
Registered
683 Posts
YAY, my Gnarvana frame shipped today and should arrive on Saturday. Can't wait to build it up.

I know I need to supply the 8mm mounting kits for the shock, but I assume that GG supplies the bolts, is that correct?

·
Say Car Ramrod!!
1,819 Posts
Loving it!!!

Ribbon coil 160 (no 170 yet)
X2/mrp hazzard
Aeffect R 165mm cranks
Sram xo 11 speed
150 one up dropper
Hope tech 3 e4
Hope 35mm stem
Enve m9 bars
One up pedals
Spec roval sl wheelz
A seat
Michelin Wild enduro tires
Weight ????

·
Registered
683 Posts
FedEx rang the doorbell nice and early yesterday so I had a good chunk of time to get the build going. All bolted up now, just have lines to trim, fine tuning and one glitch, wrong chain ring came from Wolftooth. Off to the LBS now to see if they have a SRAM DM in stock which will do with a SRAM chain until I get the WolfTooth HG+ ring tomorrow afternoon.

XTR 12 speed, Mezzer fork, 2021 DHX2 shock, TRP EVO DH brakes, SRAM X01 DUB Cranks, OneUp 210mm dropper, EIE Carbon i30 wheels w 28h DT 240 hubs, going to be a nice ride.

Gnarvana1.jpg

61 - 80 of 119 Posts