Wheels....waiting for them to ship....
Seatstay kit.....couple week lead time
Short lower cup for the 29er...need to order
Tires.....need to order....

This is awesome!

·
always licking the glass
2,388 Posts
Yep :) for those with Smashes or Trail Pistols, it’ll be an easy conversion.

Anyone with 650b, just as easy but some extra wheels too.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Smash to Gnarvana

Yep :) for those with Smashes or Trail Pistols, it’ll be an easy conversion.

Anyone with 650b, just as easy but some extra wheels too.
So, will you be able to run the Smash shock at 230x60mm with the Gnarvana? Or will you need a true 230x65mm shock?

·
Registered
14,358 Posts
So, will you be able to run the Smash shock at 230x60mm with the Gnarvana? Or will you need a true 230x65mm shock?
You can always run a shorter stroke shock on a longer travel GG bike, but you'll lose out on some travel. With a coil shock you may be able to get away with one shock and a removable 5mm spacer behind the bumper.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would think you would be in the same situation like a short stroked Megatrail, just a bit of reduced suspension travel with the 60mm travel instead of the 65mm travel shock. Maybe make it a 15x mm travel bike.

·
Registered
34 Posts
You can always run a shorter stroke shock on a longer travel GG bike, but you'll lose out on some travel. With a coil shock you may be able to get away with one shock and a removable 5mm spacer behind the bumper.
So if you lose some travel, not sure the advantage over a Smash at 145mm if you are only going up to 155mm. I have a Push 11-6 on my Smash, but I don’t want to fully commit and have Push change it to 230x65.

Either way, very cool of GG to push the mod frame to another level of stoke!

·
Registered
14,358 Posts
So if you lose some travel, not sure the advantage over a Smash at 145mm if you are only going up to 155mm. I have a Push 11-6 on my Smash, but I don’t want to fully commit and have Push change it to 230x65.

Either way, very cool of GG to push the mod frame to another level of stoke!
For sure. I wouldn't upgrade to the Gnarvana from a Smash if I wasn't going to put the full stroke shock on it.

·
battle stag commander
207 Posts
I think this may appeal mega owners who can do a straight swap of the shock, but will need to track down 29 wheels/fork.

On the other hand, for TP and smash owners, they technically might not need anything new, just a new airspring for a longer fork, and a restroke of the shock to get full travel. That shock service is probably in the $150-200 range at a local shop with some experience doing full damper service. When I restoked mine, I just used it as an excuse to do a damper service. I was just going from 65 to 62.5mm (dpx2 uses 2.5 mm spacers, not sure about others) and after having some convos with Fox service and GG the conclusion was a revalve was not necessary. Valving might not be perfect, but will probably be fine. who knows? I agree that the real world differences between a 230x60 in this bike and a stock smash will be small-ish, and possibly not worth it. For obvious reasons, not my place to knock someone for tinkering with random crap to limited benefit.

·
Registered
4,443 Posts
Really cool bike, terrible name.

Both the Vital and Pink Bike reviews mention super long chainstays, 17.7 seems resonable to me for this type of bike.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
I was waiting for this to come out but dislike long chainstays so I'll pass. Maybe the New Sentinel will be better.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
I was waiting for this to come out but dislike long chainstays so I'll pass. Maybe the New Sentinel will be better.
I’m hoping too. You can soon buy linkage to make the OG Sentinel 155mm This new GG bike to too long for a aggressive trail bike

·
Premium Member
8,810 Posts
It was just a matter of time. Good on GG!

I like the idea that you can choose your weapon with either 27.5 or 29" wheels.

I swing toward the small wheels, but for some others this a cool ride.

I'd be curious to see how it rides differently than a Smash. I have ridden a Revved Smash and previously owned an aluminum Smash. I'm not a big fan of how the Revved Smash rides, but I love my Megatrail, so if this rides like a big wheeled Mega, now that would be interesting.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I wonder if your going to have to have a longer chain from the Gnar to a Mega with the longer chain stays?

·
battle stag commander
207 Posts
I wonder if your going to have to have a longer chain from the Gnar to a Mega with the longer chain stays?
I'd plan on it if you're making a switch, yea. I am glad to hear reviews that the bike is quiet. the longer the chainstays, the more potential for chainslap. seems the new guards are doing their job well.

·
Registered
77 Posts
A quick calculation gives me that a 60mm stroke shock will give 148mm of rear travel so close to the Shredd Dogg. However, it should be noted geometry is still a lot more aggressive so that may appeal to some people.

I am very tempted to run this rear end on my Megasmash as I really would like to try it with longer chain stays. Guess I could call it the MegaGnar.

·
a dad
2,910 Posts
Damn.. my Tellis seat post on my Smash makes the same noise.. anyone know if there is a fix.. or warranty issue?

·
No known cure
4,089 Posts
It looks fun, but at almost 50, I stay out of the park and find 140mm of frame travel just fine for both trail and enduro racing. I had to have a heart to heart with myself when I bought my Smash eventhough I thought I needed travel of the MT. Quality vs quantity when it comes to travel.

1 - 20 of 119 Posts