Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
121 - 140 of 299 Posts

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Haha, so the moderators moved this discussion to the "e-bike" safe space because motorbikes were getting flamed in the "General" forum.
I don't think that was why. /looksattitleandgoesuhyeahthisbelongsintheebikeforum

·
Cycologist
8,908 Posts
I don't think that was why. /looksattitleandgoesuhyeahthisbelongsintheebikeforum
The title was changed as well. Probably why it's kinda awkward now.

I'm sure in the next decade, ebikes will change a lot more than mountain bikes. They may actually diverge more as manufacturers design specifically for ebikes rather than just adding a motor to a mtb design and using mtb parts, just like how mtbs used to be designed more based on road bikes but it was realized that there are advantages of not doing that.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I hear this a lot as justification for ebikes. I'd argue that France, Switzerland and other countries in the Alps regions aren't a good indicator of anything. The Alps are some of the steepest terrain on the planet, and one of the few places I see ebikes making a lot of sense. It's more of a "right tool for the job" scenario and less an "ebikes are taking over, just look at France".
That's everywhere in France, Mediterranean, Atlantic. Nobody is buying non e bikes.

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

·
Registered
426 Posts
Yeah just writing it out is depressing to me. We are all way too hung up on what bikes are going to be like without thinking about where we'll be able to ride them. Ebikers think motors won't cause access issues. The bike industry doesn't care how increased traffic will affect access, they only want to sell more bikes.

MTB was better before apps blew up trails. Mountain bikes don't have motors period. As far as I'm concerned when you're talking about e bikes, you're not talking about mountain biking. Anyone that prefers riding with a motor that's none of my business. Have at it, just stop acting like every mountain biker is going to be like you on day. And don't stick your head in the sand over the impact your desire to have a motor will have on non motorized trail access.
Are you worried about your Strava times?

·
Registered
426 Posts
If I can't get the sorts of nonmotorized bicycles that I like, or the parts to maintain what I have, then I'll stop mountain biking. Riding an ebike is not what I want. Just like how I don't want electronic shifting. I don't want to plug my bike in just so I can ride it (assuming the batteries don't catch fire and burn my house down). If I get too decrepit to ride my nonmotorized bicycle in the mountains, then I'll stop riding my nonmotorized bicycle in the mountains. I'll ride it on flatter, smoother terrain. Things like paved greenways, or even just around my neighborhood. I'm not entitled to ride.

Honestly, I feel that if my health and mobility are not in great shape, then it's not responsible of me to go deep into the forest/mountains where a problem with my ebike means that I'm screwed. And before you go thinking that my health has always been in peak condition, you might want to take it easy. It most certainly has not been, and there was a time that my health was NOT appropriate for venturing deep into the forest. Would an emtb have allowed me to do so? An emtb absolutely could have taken me deeper into the woods than was safe or responsible for me to go. And it could have taken me at a higher speed than was safe or responsible for me in my health condition. Guess what I did during that time? I didn't ride my bike in the woods. For awhile, I pedaled on a trainer, exclusively, using a HRM to ensure that my heart rate stayed below a certain threshold (which was a surprisingly light work load - one which an ebike would have put me at speeds dangerous for me in my condition). Then, I pedaled on the streets in my neighborhood and on smooth greenways. Again, with a fairly light workload. Keeping speeds (and consequences) low were important. Higher speeds from an ebike for a given workload would have been very bad for me. And once my health improved to the point that I could get back on the trails again, I still had a lot to work on to build back my technical skills. An ebike would not have helped me there. Being heavier would have made it more difficult for me to work with. So no, ebikes don't democratize anything. There are still people who are excluded.

Sure, you can get e trikes and e handcycles and e quad bikes for folks who lack balance, mobility, or the limbs for a traditional 2-wheeled bicycle, but their wider footprint makes them inappropriate for certain places. and those kinds of machines get wildly expensive really fast. a lot of people who might want to use a nonmotorized one could never afford one. let alone one with a motor assist.

I see a place for ebikes for commuting, for cargo bikes, and for general mobility. emtbs can rot. Mountain biking is supposed to be hard. It's supposed to take work to do. certain places have fitness filters to reach. Mountain biking is a recreational activity. It's not about basic mobility. And ebikes absolutely don't democratize the sport. They make the price barrier to entry even higher and more out of reach to people with less money. Making the sport even more exclusive to wealthier types. Ebikes might benefit some people with some health conditions, but absolutely not all. ebikes are cheaper than cars, at least, and really the only way that they are "affordable" is if folks buy an ebike instead of a car.

Frankly, I think what's going to happen is that ebikes are going to hit a saturation point the way fatbikes did. and manufacturers will wind up shedding models from their lineups, like what happened with fatbikes. I think the current inflationary pressures are going to play a role in that. The prices are just going to keep increasing. I don't feel like manufacturers will reduce prices on bikes after they've risen them to adjust to the supply chain and demand troubles they've been experiencing for the past couple years. Certain dealers are going to learn that they over-ordered ebikes, and they're going to have to heavily discount stuff to get them out the door. If they have to do that, they're not going to order many more. They'll probably order fewer, so they can sell them all at full price.
Ok, Karen

·
Registered
426 Posts
Your bit about cost is totally incorrect. Non eBike mountain bikes are extremely expensive, and there are many models that are MORE expensive than eBikes. Rocky Mountain full suspension PowerPlays start out around $5500 USD and for Carbon Fibre around $7200 USD. These are expensive but there are many manual bikes that cost more, even north of $10,000.

Spec for spec manual bikes will generally be cheaper today, but in 10 years with a lot more sales prices will improve.
I actually think that in 10 years non e bikes with be more expensive, because there will be so much fewer being built.

·
Registered
828 Posts
I see the tread has been moved and the title changes since I posted, making half of my text off-topic.

Anyway, to be on topic, I believe e-bikes are at their early infancy and will change drastically. Lighter, slimmer, more power, more range. Design, geometry and components might also change to cover specific needs (already happening with ultra short cranks). I agree that over time they might become very different beasts to regular bikes. On another note, I actually like that EWS-E include a technical climbing stage in their races.

I don't own one and I probably won't in the future unless my situation changes a lot (esp.financially, haha). I rarely shuttle, prefer to ride to the top. I can see the benefits of both pedal assist and shuttling/lifts, but the reasons I ride don't align with these practices. I'm not a fan of the "more" mentality (more trails, more laps, more pr's). I also dislike having to charge devices before going out. Finally I hate "greenwashing" passionately, and e-bikes, unless they replace a car, are anything but "green", esp. their batteries.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I don't own one and I probably won't in the future unless my situation changes a lot (esp.financially, haha). I rarely shuttle, prefer to ride to the top. I can see the benefits of both pedal assist and shuttling/lifts, but the reasons I ride don't align with these practices. I'm not a fan of the "more" mentality (more trails, more laps, more pr's). I also dislike having to charge devices before going out. Finally I hate "greenwashing" passionately, and e-bikes, unless they replace a car, are anything but "green", esp. their batteries.
This is where I am at. But if why work situation ever changed to where I was working from home or had a commute where I would die twice a day if I tried to bike it, I'd totally buy a Surly Big Easy or something similar to partially replace a car.

That does point to the one thing I'd love to see more affordable cargo e-bikes.

·
climber
346 Posts
In regard to enduro E racing at least, you need it all - fitness, skills and mental toughness
Check out the " power stage" concept - even the top pros are still learning etc.
Gesture Font Competition event Team Advertising

And it looks like the mainstream OEs better get their act together ha ha

·
Bicyclochondriac.
14,749 Posts
In regard to enduro E racing at least, you need it all - fitness, skills and mental toughness
Check out the " power stage" concept - even the top pros are still learning etc.
View attachment 1948693
Ebike racing may be the lamest thing in cycling I have ever heard of.

·
Registered
3,778 Posts
View attachment 1948693
Most the top Pros do not race the Ebike series or if they do it's just to get more practice for the real race. They only have the ebike events at a few rounds also. While I love ebikes, ebike enduro racing hasn't quite caught on on the west coast anyways. The classes are usually really small, and my group of friends usually makes up most the racers as well.

·
Bicyclochondriac.
14,749 Posts
I know I'll regret asking, but why do you say that? You don't have to like the category of bike/motorcycle, to acknowledge the sport or racing.

I want nothing to do with horses or race cars, but I don't think their sports and races are lame.
I don't know enought about race cars, horses, or motorcycles to express an opinion about what is and is not lame in those worlds.

·
E-Moderator
871 Posts
Some of what the OP said is already true! I have wireless shifting and dropper seat post! I experience the some the best shifting ever no matter what the condition are. The dropper post works awesome and I love the easy actuation.

I ride a Levo & there is already a HR driven mode! Set your HR average you want to keep and it’ll keep adjusting the wattage to match what you set.

I’m looking forward to smaller/lighter motors putting out class 1 power and batteries getting smaller and gaining WH.

I think it would be neat a drive train gearbox design like the Rolf hub, but inside the motor case.

I’d say smaller displays, but Specialized display is already top notch, but the other brands needs to get more compact.

I love that we already have a choice to offer people a lighter weight and less power ebike. I think those are going to also keep getting lighter.

I’d be happy when a class 1 ebike is between 40 to 42lbs.

I think min travel on an ebike should start off with at least 150mm. I’m a big fan of mullet bikes and I like slack head angles!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #139 ·
Some of what the OP said is already true! I have wireless shifting and dropper seat post! I experience the some the best shifting ever no matter what the condition are. The dropper post works awesome and I love the easy actuation.

I ride a Levo & there is already a HR driven mode! Set your HR average you want to keep and it'll keep adjusting the wattage to match what you set.

I'm looking forward to smaller/lighter motors putting out class 1 power and batteries getting smaller and gaining WH.

I think it would be neat a drive train gearbox design like the Rolf hub, but inside the motor case.

I'd say smaller displays, but Specialized display is already top notch, but the other brands needs to get more compact.

I love that we already have a choice to offer people a lighter weight and less power ebike. I think those are going to also keep getting lighter.

I'd be happy when a class 1 ebike is between 40 to 42lbs.

I think min travel on an ebike should start off with at least 150mm. I'm a big fan of mullet bikes and I like slack head angles!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Awesome. Yes a chunk of my predictions are true today. It's about reaching critical mass and getting costs down. Question for you: after riding the eBike you do, has it changed the way you look at non eBike mountain bikes?

For me, having all of this technology in my bike and how effective it is at increasing performance makes me look at non eBike mountain bikes as antiquated. I still like them and I have a second bike that is a non eBike but it's like going back in time in certain ways. Thoughts?

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
eBikes will become passé when memory implantation helmets become widely available. You can enjoy the memory of that ass kickin' ride with no effort at all. Call it Total Recoil.

121 - 140 of 299 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.