Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 311 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been doing research on this topic and here's what I think the next 10 years will bring. Please post your thoughts as well about what you think the next 10 years will bring. What will the next generation mountain bikes be like?

Here is what I think the next generation mountain bike will be, which will be common within 10 years to the point that most quality mountain bikes and most people buying new bikes will ride:
  • eBike. All of these modern bikes will have an electric drivetrain. The bike makers will offer a smaller and smaller category of manual bikes.
  • Relatively light (between 32 and 40 lbs) with no range compromise. This will be achieved by advances in eBike engines, battery technology, and frame and component advances.
  • No derailleur: complete gearbox built into the electric drive as one unit with electronic, wireless shifting which may optionally be automatic. The automatic will have infinite gearing, changing 'gears' on the fly in relation to the torque that the rider is applying.
  • Not just torque, but heart rate will drive the pedal assist engine.
  • No visible cables. The brakes may be wireless or at a minimum, the cables will be routed starting inside the handlebars.
  • Regenerative braking, like on electric cars. So after burning some battery life on the climb, on your way down the mountain, you'll be charging the battery when applying your brakes. Regeneration may occur at certain speeds also without applying the brakes.
  • Sophisticated integration of software with the bike so riders can customize aspects of the electric drive, as well as the electronic brakes and even adjustments to frame geometry.
  • A more sealed off design when it comes to the entire drivetrain.
  • Adaptive suspension common: suspension that adapts to the terrain you're on, adjusting travel accordingly.
  • Sealed rear shocks where both front and rear shocks are digitally adjusted with software.
  • Integrated decent size screens built into the bikes with a host of information effectively operating like a smartphone in certain ways.
Some unknowns:

Frame geometry?
Wheel size?
Front and rear shock design?
Frame material? Expecting Carbon Fibre...

·
Registered
120 Posts
“Integrated decent size screens built into the bikes with a host of information effectively operating like a smartphone in certain ways.”

^^*Ahh, think of all the accidents that will cause.^^

Bike parks will be motos. They can just close down now.

People without motors will be discriminated against and called Fudds.

Grand tours that are over hundred years old will end or become test labs for PEDs.

I will be dead so I don’t really care how lazy the human race gets.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Regenerative braking will be quite a challenge with a mid-motor design. I had a hub motored bike that would do it but it was a very small effect, both in terms of charge and deceleration.

·
Registered
Keep things simple
390 Posts
The OP article should be more like the next 25 years.
Technological upgrades as mentioned could be expensive so my feeling is small bike annually improvements to entice/force consumers to pay a rising amount for a bike of any kind.

·
Cycologist
8,691 Posts
While the ebike market will grow, there will still be lots of riders who want to ride an actual bicycle. Just like how now there are still SSers and hardtail riders, not everyone is looking for it to be as easy as possible. And I definitely don't want to spend money for all that junk, keep it simple, that's one of the beauties of a bicycle. I do fear ebikes will change the trails (and that they will change in general) to be wider and smoother.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Well that would be pathetic if all bikes came with motors, how lazy can america get. I’m 48 and ride single speed most of the time because I want to challenge myself and get a fun workout. I love my geared, full squish bike but it makes me soft, never mind riding a bike with a motor.

Maybe when I’m 60 I will get a ebike, but I truly hope I am in good enough shape to still ride a normal bike.

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
6,877 Posts
You will need to somehow thrust a dozen completely different disciplines in industry
ahead by 50 years to get your 25 year superbike, futureman.

·
Registered
Mr. Incognito
3,544 Posts
The bike OP is describing would be harder to work on than my truck. No thanks. I don't want to have to buy an OBD3 diagnostic tool to figure out why my bike won't shift properly.

Also, people like regular bikes. This prediction is about the same as the people in 1995 saying we'd have flying cars by 2020.

·
Bicyclochondriac.
14,704 Posts
I don't see eBikes ever fully displacing real MTBs, at least not in the foreseeable future. I think they will continue to do what they are doing now: selling in addition to real MTBs. THIS is why the industry is pushing them so hard. They will likely eat into real MTB sales some, but the idea that all high end MTBs will be electric is absurd, IMO.

Also, is it me or is electronic shifting not taking off in the MTB world the way we were told it would? Seems to get a lot more buy-in on the Road side of things. I do think that what eShifting there is will continue along the lines the OP describes.

Folks have been predicting the demise of the RD on these forums for as long as I have had an internet connection. Alternatives have been around the whole time, and have never gotten beyond fringe acceptance. I'm all for it, but so far nothing has come along that really makes much sense to me as a better alternative.

I do not doubt that MTBs will continue to internally route more cables and hoses. It serves no practical purpose (just more work, IMO), but folks seem to like it, and it will continue.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I think bicycles will take back more market share in the future. E-bikes are loud, heavy, expensive, expensive to maintain, not green, and a lot of people ride for the fitness aspect and don't want to spend 6 hours getting a 3 hour workout. Actually I don't think e-bikes will last for six hours will they? These are my reasons anyway. The electric dirtbike scene interests me a hell of a lot more though, the KTM and YZ offerings look promising but still have a way to go.

1 - 20 of 311 Posts