Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 1709 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I’m hearing a few of rumours that there going to be updating the Hightower in spring 19, now I have an OG and tempted to buy an LT but don’t want to get 9 months down the line to see a new version come out. Anyone eles heard any rumours ?

Cheers

·
SS Pusher Man
7,623 Posts
9 months is an eternity....if you wanna new bike, buy one. Waiting almost a year for something that may or may not come to fruition is a waste. I’d rather be riding my new bike for the next year.

Reactions: firevsh2o

·
Registered
6,926 Posts
Yes I have heard multiple rumors of new bikes. Something supposedly released around Sea Otter (Bronson or HT/LT) and another new bike later in the year (Bronson or HT/LT). Bronson is the oldest bike in their lineup right now I believe so it makes sense that they would release that first, but 29 and especially long travel 29's are hot right now so they may move that up. Will be interesting to see if the new bikes use the old style suspension design similar to the existing HT/Bronson or if they go to the new linkage like the Nomad. My guess is that the Bronson and HTLT replacements will get the linkage while the standard HT gets the older setup.

No matter how you look at it, all is speculation right now unless you are either a factory rider or work in their development program. The current LT is an amazing bike and I think they will go toward the Capra 29 end of the spectrum with the replacement. If that is what you want then wait, but if you like the flexibility of the current platform buy it now.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Lots to think about, cheers salespunk.

The rumour was there were using the old nomad frame but as you say until it comes out.....

It’s very easy to keep buying new models but especially here in uk the 2nd market is rubbish so can easily cost you 2k every time you change a bike.

I’ll be patient this time

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
It might be a optical illusion but that linkage looks different where the shock mounts to it, the tab where the shock mounts does not seem anywhere near as big as on the LT. I think its fitted with a 210x55 metric Super Deluxe shock and a different linkage.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Yes I have heard multiple rumors of new bikes. Something supposedly released around Sea Otter (Bronson or HT/LT) and another new bike later in the year (Bronson or HT/LT). Bronson is the oldest bike in their lineup right now I believe so it makes sense that they would release that first, but 29 and especially long travel 29's are hot right now so they may move that up. Will be interesting to see if the new bikes use the old style suspension design similar to the existing HT/Bronson or if they go to the new linkage like the Nomad. My guess is that the Bronson and HTLT replacements will get the linkage while the standard HT gets the older setup.

No matter how you look at it, all is speculation right now unless you are either a factory rider or work in their development program. The current LT is an amazing bike and I think they will go toward the Capra 29 end of the spectrum with the replacement. If that is what you want then wait, but if you like the flexibility of the current platform buy it now.
Would they do a refresh/update to the HTLT when they just released it five months ago? I am a little new to the MTB world and how the manufacturers work, but it seems like it would make sense to refresh/update an older bike instead of a recently released bike. Unless there is something glaringly wrong with the HTLT that needed to be fixed.

·
Registered
8,564 Posts
The LT shares the same front triangle as the regular HT so it seems to me that it is just an interim measure until they release the final version.

·
Registered
6,926 Posts
Would they do a refresh/update to the HTLT when they just released it five months ago? I am a little new to the MTB world and how the manufacturers work, but it seems like it would make sense to refresh/update an older bike instead of a recently released bike. Unless there is something glaringly wrong with the HTLT that needed to be fixed.
As @travisbickle said, the LT was just a new rear triangle which represented the shortest time to market as well as the lowest cost option. It allowed them to respond with a very good bike, but also not take away funds from developing the long travel 29 they really want to build. My guess is that we will see a 160 setup with the Nomad linkage and updated Geo.

·
Oh, So Interesting!
5,872 Posts
I'm surprised they don't have a replacement already. I'm sure it's their top priority as they have nothing to compete with Slash, Rallon, Wreck, Capra, Sentinel, etc...

·
Ride Fast Take Chances :)
3,669 Posts
As @travisbickle said, the LT was just a new rear triangle which represented the shortest time to market as well as the lowest cost option. It allowed them to respond with a very good bike, but also not take away funds from developing the long travel 29 they really want to build. My guess is that we will see a 160 setup with the Nomad linkage and updated Geo.
+100
It would be crazy for them to not introduce a nomad/v10 style LT ASAP. I think this is there number one priority, even if the new bronson should be the next new bike.

edit:
And please give it a longer rear stays to go with the front center. The new bikes in XL and XXL don't handle right with the super short rears.

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
I'm surprised they don't have a replacement already. I'm sure it's their top priority as they have nothing to compete with Slash, Rallon, Wreck, Capra, Sentinel, etc...
I could see them rolling out a competitor to those bikes but I'm not sure it would be the Hightower. I think a huge part of the appeal for the HT and HTLT is they make great all-around bikes. I think it would make more sense for them to add a new model that's basically a Nomad 29er. Maybe consolidate the HT and HTLT into one 150mm bike.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
From what I have heard as well, they have been developing a LT 29er that is not a "Frankenbike" so to speak. It will replace the HTLT. Yes, as was stated, they quickly did some testing on the new rear triangle with the linkage and combined it with the Hightower front triangle. Because they have their own R&D carbon composite making capability in SC, they can quickly create parts for testing. The HTLT was a quick rush into a big growing segment they were not part of. So far it has paid off. I will say I was very pleased with the HTLT and the shock they chose for it.

There is new one on the way, could even happen this year, who knows, but the HTLT is so good go for it now and sell it later. Why wait? Tomorrow may never come. Besides, there will always be something new.

·
Oh, So Interesting!
5,872 Posts
I could see them rolling out a competitor to those bikes but I'm not sure it would be the Hightower. I think a huge part of the appeal for the HT and HTLT is they make great all-around bikes. I think it would make more sense for them to add a new model that's basically a Nomad 29er. Maybe consolidate the HT and HTLT into one 150mm bike.
I agree, it's not a Hightower unless they discontinue the old one but it makes sense to keep it for more of an all-around choice.

It could be a Nomad 9'er, maybe w/ 10mm less travel...

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
I don't know. When you have models like the Rallon that honestly are great enduro sleds but make for great all around bikes as well I think that is where they will aim. The two Hightowers are already there. They just need updated geos. A slacker head angle, more reach, and a steeper seat tube angle to offset that for climbing and the linkage and rear wouldn't even have to change. That said they'll probably also slightly improve the linkage.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 1709 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.