Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Steel is real.
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is in reference to this post from the other day

This is Reilly

She was the daughter to very close friends of my wife and I but she lost her battle with an aggressive form of leukemia. She hadn't even made her third birthday yet. It was awful.

Reilly was amazing through it all but I will never forget all that I had seen during that awful time; awful things that no one, especially children, should have to endure and her loss has changed many forever.

While having a BBQ at my house about a year later, Reilly's father (a total non-cyclist) approached me and said "I want to do the Ride to Conquer Cancer. Can you come with me?"

I immediately said "Yes." of course but I knew the ride was 200+km over 2 days and he didn't even own a bike at the time. I wasn't sure what was going to happen so I let it go until he called out of the blue about 2 weeks later and said, "OK. I bought a Surly Crosscheck and I'm signed up. Get in there! I've started riding."

"Wow." I thought.

So, long story short, I signed up and we rode through wind and rain and cold. Our team raised just over $44,000 for the cause and collectively we raised just over 16million. It was one of the most amazing experiences of my life and I really felt like I was not only helping a friend deal with something that can't even begin to be explained (the loss of a child) but helping all those in attendance, all those not, those fighting, those who will be fighting and we were celebrating Reilly's memory in a big way.

So, this year, we're doing it all over again only in an attempt to get more attention I came up with the idea of The Fight Bike.

The Fight Bike is the bike I'll be riding this year for the event and I've prepped it in hopes that I can cover it in the names or in short messages from those who sponsor me. Basically, as donations come in, a name or a message will be added to the bike (of the sponsor's choosing) and will be in full view for all to see while I cover my 200+kms. I will add anything they wish; from their name, the name of someone they're remembering, a short message or whatever else they may choose. My goal is to cover the bike from front to back, top to bottom.

The signatures have just started but the bike is essentially a blank canvass right now. Fingers crossed though.

Anyway, for those that were curious, that's what the bike will be used for. I won't put the link to the donation page in the thread (unless honestly requested) because, despite being a great cause, I don't want this to look like spam. I just thought I'd share the idea about the bike. Maybe someone out there can use the idea for their cause as well.

We're ready to freeze again.
Cheers,
Steve A. (far left)

Attachments

·
Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
8,847 Posts
Awesome! I'd support a link, and even a sticky if the mods are cool with it.

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
What an awesome idea! Can you PM me some info on the race (date, place, etc...). If this is a nation wide thing, I would love to participate. If not, I would be interested in donating some.

Very cool thing you're doing here. Your friends are lucky to have someone as supportive as you to aid in dealing with such a difficult loss. :thumbsup:

·
Is my rear tire flat?
858 Posts
Thanks for sharing.

and I do hope you post the link. This is the kind of spam we can use a little more of.

Awesome idea on the signature bike and maybe it could be auctioned off at the end or something.

Thanks for being inspiring.

db

·
Steel is real.
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
pointerDixie214 said:
What an awesome idea! Can you PM me some info on the race (date, place, etc...). If this is a nation wide thing, I would love to participate. If not, I would be interested in donating some.

Very cool thing you're doing here. Your friends are lucky to have someone as supportive as you to aid in dealing with such a difficult loss. :thumbsup:
Thanks for the support guys. I'm happy that most people who hear of the bike like the idea. That's a good sign!

pointerDixie214: I'll PM you a link.

Although there are some who hammer through the entire route as fast as they can it isn't a race really. It's really intended to be a ride to raise awareness and show support. It's incredible. It's very well organised and heavily supported with everything from massage therapists to mechanics to all you can eat or drink every 25k to right-of-way over traffic and most intersections (police directing traffic) etc. It's mind blowing.

Last year I sat back with my buddy to help him out as he'd never, before that year, ridden farther than around the block maybe and I wanted to be there so he could draft or if he punctured or had some other mechanical issue out on the route in the middle of nowhere (again, he wasn't a cyclist at the time). He told me he felt far more comfortable with me around anyway. We had a lot to talk about and it's always nicer not to suffer wet and cold alone. It was great.

Turns out he'd done his miles before hand though and we were actually averaging a nice 27km/hr (almost 17 mph) riding pace. Our overall average was far less of course as we stopped often for food and/or refreshments or whatever but when we were in the saddle it was a very respectable speed for a guy who "didn't ride.".

So much happened over that weekend I can't even begin to mention. So many incredible stories and people; I had to be there again. It helped my friend cope too so I'm in from now on. It's just something I feel I must do. My buddy and his wife need support and we all give them as much as we can, as often as we can.

No one should have to live through something like this and I always think that it might be that one last dollar that we raise that will make that a reality.

Here's hoping.
Thanks again. :thumbsup:

·
Basura Blanca
1,793 Posts
If you're not gonna post a link, then at least send it to me in a PM. Thanks for sharing that follow-up. So often when friends are hurting, we don't know what to say or do. How very cool that you're able to demonstrate your support in a real way that also fosters conversations that need to happen. Good luck to you both on the ride, and be sure to share a pic of the bike once all the donations are in.
- Joe

·
Steel is real.
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the kind words everyone. I suppose with the interest so far, here and through PM, I'll give in and post a link. I'm grateful that folks are interested in at least checking into it. Thanks so much for that.

So, if you're interested in learning more, here is the link.

Thanks again,
Steve A

·
Registered
156 Posts
Holy *****. I'm the last person people would call a puss but I'm shedding a damn tear at work no less.

I have a 4 year old daughter and a 5 year old son. Sign me up. I'm sponsoring.

·
since 4/10/2009
32,547 Posts
I'll chip in, too. Thanks for the link. Two new friends of mine have been taken by cancer in the past couple of months.

·
Truly Doneski
541 Posts
What a great bike idea. I can't wait to see it filled up with names! You're a great friend, and I'm glad to hear that you've gained so much helping out a close friend.

This is the LAST thing I would call Spam! I hope you guys really enjoy your ride

·
Registered
189 Posts
Very awesome. thanks for posting the link. I lost 2 grandparents to cancer, however in the 10 years since we lost my grandmother, both of my parents were diagnosed with cancer. This was a few years ago, and they are both with us and now are cancer free.

I know that its donations like this that help with funding that make it possible for me to have another Christmas with both of them.

·
Steel is real.
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
slim2none said:
Holy *****. I'm the last person people would call a puss but I'm shedding a damn tear at work no less.

I have a 4 year old daughter and a 5 year old son. Sign me up. I'm sponsoring.
Yes, for sure, those of us with children are more sensitive to these types of stories, and, sadly, there are many. I'll never forget, as long as I live, the depth of silence in the children's cancer ward when someone was lost. Normally you can hear nurses talking, families talking and other random sounds you'd hear in a hospital but on that floor, when a child was gone, everyone was quiet. As soon as the elevator doors opened I'd know right away if it was a particularly bad day.

As recently as last week, my daughter asked when Reilly was coming over to play again. "I still have her elastic ball daddy!"

She is missed.

·
Steel is real.
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
NateHawk said:
I'll chip in, too. Thanks for the link. Two new friends of mine have been taken by cancer in the past couple of months.
I'm very sorry to hear that NateHawk. My thoughts are with you. I know all too well what this topic means to you. I followed your very personal experience with cancer as well.

We're hoping that all of this fund raising will someday get us nothing but happy endings in the future.

·
Steel is real.
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
skrap1r0n said:
......This was a few years ago, and they are both with us and now are cancer free.

I know that its donations like this that help with funding that make it possible for me to have another Christmas with both of them.
Awesome......:thumbsup:

·
Registered
259 Posts
Ride on!

Great work, bro! Lost my beautiful cousin, Kimberly, to leukemia when I was just a kid. Just gave a little in her memory.
:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts