Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
King Of Tooth Tarter
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to tempt people to join me on a very intense ride near the solstice on June 23rd, Saturday. We meet at 6am at Hunting Hollow Park in Henry W. Coe Park. Let me know if you are interested and we will look out for you. You will need spare inner tubes, dependable lights that can be attached to helmet or bike. It is a very steep and intense ride that could last 12 hours. Not for the feint of heart.

·
M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
8,585 Posts
I was planning on doing this ride, but then realised I have an XC race on the 24th. :eek: Guess I’ll be hooking up with you all in October for the biggun instead.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Having participated in the pre-ride, I highly recommend this ride - some trails you'll never otherwise get to ride and some you'll never ride in the direction indicated :)

And for the Strava addicts, some KOMs to be won...

·
loopy counter
869 Posts
Not for the feint of heart.
Drift Fence? I was out on Wagon road yesterday, entertaining the thought of riding this particular forgotten one, hoping it was on the route and grass had been trampled down by the pre-ride. But my hopes were crushed. No signs of use, it is truly forgotten.

·
M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
8,585 Posts
Ok, you've got my attention: What do you ride for an XC race? I would love to see you take your 40 lb big wheel bike with the truck horn there and win :D :thumbsup:
LOL I guess I need to explain myself. :rolleyes: I rode a “lightweight” 30 pound hardtail for Napa Valley Dirt Classic earlier this year, but decided to ride my 38 pound fatbike for Sea Bagger Classic in silent protest against the sandbaggers that plague Cat 2. I have a 29er (steel, 6 pound frame, LOL!) I am building up at the moment, just waiting for the Project321 wheelset and Cannondale Lefty fork on. Should be under 30 pounds, which would be nice.

Oh, on a side note, at Sea Bagger 2012 I managed 30th out of 68 entries on the fatbike… now, take note—this was with a 2x1 drivetrain—32/22x17, since I was waiting on a rear wheel build from the shop. The singlespeed rear wheel was all I had available. Had I been using a standard 11-32 cassette in back I could have been in the top 15 somewhere in theory, as I got dropped on most of the flat sections. Made amazing ground on the uphill sections though. Looking forward to doing it again in 2013! :thumbsup:

·
King Of Tooth Tarter
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Drift Fence

Sorry Knobs. I remember Drift Fence Trail every time I pass it. It has been on previous Solstice Rides though. Time to put some tracks on it sir.

·
King Of Tooth Tarter
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
3d

Is it just me or does your poster seem to have a 3D effect?
It's a stereogram. Look at it for 30 minutes with your eyes crossed and you will see a tiny city with intricate details and tiny people wearing conical hats and scottish terriers with hand carved dog tags with the words "love and peace" tattooed on their shaved tails and man-servents with drinks on trays beckoning you to have a seat at one of the tiny tables and buttered scones that taste out of this world and even smaller people underneath their toe-nails that seemed to be obsessed with toothpicks and doing the most incredible things with them as they balance on a series of dressers that have mirrored pictures that wobble in such a way that you can just about see, yes, see infinity like you have never been before and they have small crumbs in the corners where the glass is held in place that have even smaller people on top of these crumbs that like to sit on chairs with ottermen and their legs reclined not on the ottermen but on a series of small mexican hairless cats that don't seem to mind the weight of the legs since they aren't that heavy because of their smallness.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Towards the end, Blue Tank Trail is should be included as it is truly one of the forgotten ones. As you know, it's a pine cone alley.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Really hoping to make it to one of these group Coe rides one of these days. But 6am start is just too early for me coming from Oakland. I could camp out there the night before I guess...

Where is a good place to find some gps tracks for some of these Coe rides? I just got an Edge 800 and am ready to explore some new terrain with it?

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Really hoping to make it to one of these group Coe rides one of these days. But 6am start is just too early for me coming from Oakland. I could camp out there the night before I guess...

Where is a good place to find some gps tracks for some of these Coe rides? I just got an Edge 800 and am ready to explore some new terrain with it?
mtbguru.com - rides by plymmer, skyline35, dirk, mudworm, ratpick

Most of us post to Strava too, so you can explore for routes on there.

Many ride recaps here on mtbr too.

If you've never been to Coe before, find a group to ride with the first time. Or carry an official map. And remember the "Coe factor" - everything is 1.5x harder than elsewhere.

·
I'm a "she".
936 Posts
I'll admit it. I'm skeered!

Roy, you put out a scary poster, and now you ask why everyone is scared? :rolleyes:

We meet at 6am at Hunting Hollow .......You will need ... dependable lights ...It is a very steep and intense ride that could last 12 hours.
It's not adding up. On Summer Solstice, you can still see at 9pm. If you need lights for a 6am start, that means you are looking at 15+ hours out there. And you say "12 hours". Pffffft. Sandbagger!!!

·
I like mtn biking, too
3,205 Posts
I guess the 6am start is to spend at least part of the time out there in a cooler part of the day. It sounds tempting, just not sure I'd be able to keep pace. :) Certainly you would need to carry 2 3 liter bladders at least. Not sure what the water situation would be.

·
I'm a "she".
936 Posts
I guess the 6am start is to spend at least part of the time out there in a cooler part of the day.
Oh shame on me. I just woke up from a nap (today is a rare day off from work), and I read this sentence as : "I guess the 6am start is to spend at least part of the time in later part of the day around a cooler." I was going to point out that you were being optimistic.

A water filter is a must on rides like this, and it helps to be efficient at it because water filtering is a time consuming process.

·
I like mtn biking, too
3,205 Posts
Oh shame on me. I just woke up from a nap (today is a rare day off from work), and I read this sentence as : "I guess the 6am start is to spend at least part of the time in later part of the day around a cooler." I was going to point out that you were being optimistic.

A water filter is a must on rides like this, and it helps to be efficient at it because water filtering is a time consuming process.
lol! Start a big ride off with a couple of cold ones... that would be interesting! :D

Yeah, I have brought a filter there before, trick is finding water sometimes - but you guys are pros!

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Plant Dude,

I finally got to ride the new Sierra Vista Trail last weekend with imtnbike and it is a great route! I mentioned to Plymmer that sometime we ought to ride it twice for a 10k. I also proposed riding Lake Sonoma twice as another 10k. These would be warm-ups for the Coe 10k.

I saw Blazing Star flowers out there on the Sierra Vista Trail on the most exposed areas. These are very nice.

Tomorrow I hope to ride Canada Del Oro on SS's with my wife.

I did a dry run of the 10k with Plymmer, Ratpick and Fattire400 (mtbr lurker) a few weeks ago and the course is absolutely ludicrous in a few sections. I bailed out after 8k claiming common nonsense as the reason. My alibi this year: I won't be around on the 23rd.

The OSA rocks! When are we going to be able to ride around in the Palassou?

1 - 20 of 60 Posts