Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
2,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Italian company Trentasei is showing off their full carbon 36er bicycle here:

No posted weights but the setup looks to fit an average-sized rider.

There are also carbon 36er rims that have been available for a couple of years.

Things are progressing.

· This place needs an enema
17,703 Posts
I've built those Alchemist rims. They build fine, but tubeless setup is class C, at best.

Nextie now has 36"er rims. Haven't built them yet but they typically have a class A++ tubeless interface.

· Registered
2,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Got this info from 36polici.it.

- for sale in the USA we are talking to one of our contacts to see how to market our 36ers in your country;

- sales forecasts of our 36ers: we think we can start by the end of September 2021;

- for the cost, the geometries and other information we will publish all the information on our website www.36pollici.it always by the end of September;

- the weight of the 36er that you see in the attached picture with carbon frame and carbon rims is about 12.5 kg

-The version with aluminum and steel frame will be heavier, the data will be available on the website www.36pollici.it

- there will be a guarantee, we are evaluating a formula that is useful for the customer to fully enjoy our 36er.

· Registered
10 Posts
I've built those Alchemist rims. They build fine, but tubeless setup is class C, at best.

Nextie now has 36"er rims. Haven't built them yet but they typically have a class A++ tubeless interface.
Mike what do you think about the idea of Berd spokes that are twisted at the cross to improve stiffness? Maybe even bonded there like an old 'tie and solder' job. Can't imagine anyone else has more experience to speculate and answer.

· Registered
2,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow... wonder what the final weight would be for a wheelset with those + Berd spokes?
I was just thinking that... ;)

But first some laughs--Sam Pilgrim rides a pedestrian 36er much harder than he should ;)

If you watch the end of the video, the rear wheel visibly sways in a hard corner, lol

Berd spokes would be PERFECT for a 36er build. They're practically indestructible and lighter than anything else. By my estimates you could build an 1800g 36er wheelset, which is very respectable. The Italian build is about 27lbs and I think there's plenty of room for improvement.

It won't be long before we see a 24 lb 36er, following Ned Overend's rule for a raceable XC bike.

· Registered
1,098 Posts
We watch his videos pretty regularly -- that one definitely increased my interest in trying out a 36er. He's always enthusiastic about the bikes he tries, but you can tell the difference in him actually enjoying the 36er vs. something like the "bed bike" where it looked like it was terrible to ride and the thrill seemed to come from the combination of absurdity and danger.

· Registered
208 Posts

I have a pair of the Nextie 36er rims that I picked up through Walt. Seems he and a buddy of his are sitting on a supply of them. I mounted the Walt/Matt version of the Vee MTB tires on them prior to lacing them up. I had to stretch a 700c inner tube around the tire to get the bead to set. After, it formed a secure bead.

I'm waiting on a batch of custom titanium 356mm spokes to build them. I'm excited, looks like I'll save just at 5lbs of rotating weight by going tubeless, titanium spokes and ditching the aluminum hoops. Savings per my scale were: 553 grams per rim and 162 per rim for spokes, 453g per inner tube.

· Not 2 Tired!
15 Posts
I was out testing the new Nextie 36 inch carbon rim with the Trax Monster 36x2.25 trail tire. I have the all new hooked version of the rim, but it's only compatible with the TM tire, as the nightrider tire blows off at pressures higher than around 35psi. Apparently, the BSD of the NR is slightly over 787mm. Here's a short 1 minute video riding a local trail:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.