Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Chris Bling
2,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So over the past weeks and months, i have been searching for the right bike for me. As far as my background, i only have the funds for one nice FS bike, so i want it to be tough, strong, stiff and take anything i throw at it. I am over 200 pounds with gear and enjoy the ups just as much as the downs. I understand that 6-7 inch bikes bob a little bit and i am fine with that. I am an experienced rider and expect a lot form my ride. I know these are on the heavy side, but that is not a concern. Legs get stronger:D

I am mainly concerned with longevity, strength, ride-ability and durability. I want the bike to be able to stand up to the abuse that i will throw at it for several seasons. The bikes that i have chosen are beefy and heavy and can take the abuse of aggressive all mountain and freeride.

I love technical climbs as well as the slow moving balancing act of north shore. On the flip side, i love the ability to see a random huck off the side of the trail and know my bike can take it. Its for this reason that i would enlist the help of my fellow riders to give me their valued opinions.

The 4 bikes that i have narrowed it down to are:

1.Kona Coiler/Coilair

2.Santa Cruz Bullit

3. Versus Blitz II

4. Canfield Brothers Can-Diggle

Thanks again

Dusty

·
Registered
359 Posts
Easy. Blitz 2. It is prefect for everything you described. I borrowed one for almost 2 months and would have bought one if my bank allowed for more than just a dedicated DH race rig.

The new one should be out kinda soon. Whos knows, but it is a pound lighter and has a 1.5 headtube.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Gonna go with the candiggle if you can afford it. The suspension is a notch above the others. I wont blither about the "quality" because I've never been a fan of the whole "OMG THE WELDZ IS BEUTIFUL," as long as the welds are done correctly I'm confidant of them, and theres nothing in the bikes you've listed I'd feel sketchy about. The CS however, is 100% the best with the bro's. Chris is one of the chillest people out there, and they're super on top of helping you with any questions.

I am a canfield whore after getting my lucky. Good luck with whatever you get

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,009 Posts
coiler or stinky and they can be had very cheap used.

they would be perfect for pedaling up because of the more upright position (FR). and they can handle the ruff stuff

·
Anti-Outsourcer
319 Posts
It wasn't on your list, but... Uzzi VPX = teh sexorz. And like Cable Guy said, you can find them used for relatively good prices, and I don't think you can actually break them... Like, ever...

As for the comment about Kona's being better for pedaling... uhhh no. There are two guys on Kona's in my usual group, and they're ALWAYS the last two up hills. They're pretty athletic guys, but they just b-O-u-N-c-E uphill as long as they can before they get off and walk. It's almost sad... Losers haha.

Also, I've seen a disproportionate number of Kona's with tube failure around the shock mounts. I don't know if it is because the quality is lower, or if Kona is just the brand of choice for all the knuckle-heads out there... Either way it doesn't say much for them haha.

Now that I think about it, I've actually seen a couple of brands experience tubing failure around the shock mounts, and the common factor is that stinky (pun intended) 4-bar style rear... Sooo, I would avoid that perhaps.

I'm not much of a single pivot guy for a couple reasons. But if I had to ride one, I would probably go for a Bullit. I've never heard anything bad about them, and they seem pretty sturdy... Not much to break, really.

Currently I'm on an 08 Nomad, and love it. The VPP really helps on the ups, but it's buttery smooth on the downs. I've done some riding on VP Free's as well, very nice bikes. Uzzi = VP Free give or take. I'm partial to the 135 spacing on the Uzzi's though, the 150 seems sluggish on the technical stuff. I could be imagining things, but I still prefer the 135 spacing.

I don't know a whole lot about Canfield frames, so I won't pass judgement good or bad.

LONG STORY SHORT:
4 bar = sketchy, Bullit = pros/cons, Canfield = ??, Uzzi VPX = teh sexorz.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
canfield

It is exactly what you are asking for. Bud just built one up for 35 lbs with a 180mm 66 up front. Pedals amazing and felt really good on the DH through (rock gardens and all). Price is above the others but worth it if you can afford it. And like William said, you will not find better service bofore or after than with the Brothers.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.