Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

141 - 151 of 151 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi im hoping to fit my burley trailer hitch to a used dd70 that is on its way . Super happy ! Is it as simple as buying a slightly7mm) longer back thru axel. So 204 mm roughly? What kind of tolerances are ok here ? Thanks

and if these pictures work ok can any one identify what is on the back axel ?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi im hoping to fit my burley trailer hitch to a used dd70 that is on its way . Super happy ! Is it as simple as buying a slightly7mm) longer back thru axel. So 204 mm roughly? What kind of tolerances are ok here ? Thanks

and if these pictures work ok can any one identify what is on the back axel ?
Is that a picture of the bike you bought or just an example? the picture looks like it already has a compatible axle. Not sure what kind of Burley trailer you have but if its like a kid trailer in that it mounts to 1 side like most kid trailers, the best option would be going with a Robert Axle Project axle (I believe the part number is KID215), I'm not aware of any other option. I used one for a kid trailer on mine and it was perfect to haul everything for a remote beach camping trip. I've since gotten a bob trailer which required a new axle to mount it since its very specific, and am selling my kid trailer and my 1st Robert Axle Project axle.

If the bike you bought does not include a compatible axle and you'd be interested in purchasing mine, I plan to put it up for sale this weekend.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Not that anyone has been clamoring for it but since my last update...

-I've added a dropper post, a Brand-X ascend 100mm travel I got on sale for $85 from Wiggle, it works awesome and cant imagine riding without one now.
-I have installed the 100mm bluto and it changes the bike so much (in a great way), I want to bump it up to 120mm but that will come later
-I got a cheap 29+ wheelset to use on pavement rides. They're Framed 29+ Pro-X wheels and WTB Ranger TCS Fast Rolling 29X3.0 tires
-I picked up a used bob ibex trailer, stripped it down, welded on new brackets for the upper shock mount, replaced the stock spring shock with an old rockshox air shock so its much more adjustable and smooth, and painted it satin black. Brainstorming on a rigid fender design that will allow panniers

I'm loving this bike in both fat and plus configurations so much, I may not get an SN04 frame, just add TRP Spykes and call it good. Any questions feel free to ask
IMG_20200223_121319.jpg

·
Registered
44 Posts
Not that anyone has been clamoring for it but since my last update...

-I've added a dropper post, a Brand-X ascend 100mm travel I got on sale for $85 from Wiggle, it works awesome and cant imagine riding without one now.
Is that an internally routed dropper post? If so, did you route the cable through the bottom bracket junction? Additionally if so, are you using the sleeve on the bottom bracket?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Is that an internally routed dropper post? If so, did you route the cable through the bottom bracket junction? Additionally if so, are you using the sleeve on the bottom bracket?
It is the internally routed version. I didn't run it through the BB, I just drilled the frame. I know some are completely against that but I'm not, in this case at least. It's a fairly small diameter (6mm) that I filed at an angle so the cable would lay closer to the frame. It also allows for a shallower bend than through the BB. Since I got rid of the front derailleur I ran it through the downtube
IMG_20200429_095842.jpg

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hi guys, Can anyone tell me of a Rear Rack that will fit the Felt DD frame please that's available?

Im from UK & only one i can see is the Topeak one https://www.topeak.com/global/en/products/224-Fat-Bike-Racks/831-UNI-SUPER-TOURIST-FAT but even this will require a mod as the attachments on this bracket requires the thread on the frame on outside, but our DD frames the thread is on the inside!

The other I've seen (but the company is in the States) is one called Fatback LCG Rack which is reviewed here: Rear Racks for Fat Bikes, List and Guide - BIKEPACKING.com (scroll down page to see it). But it is not listed on their website so no idea if they still make it.

I know Topeak also do the "Beam" type which just attach directly to seat post & nothing else, i do not want one of these as my luggage will be bouncing everywehre!!

So any ideas much appreciated!

Cheers!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi guys, Can anyone tell me of a Rear Rack that will fit the Felt DD frame please that's available?

Im from UK & only one i can see is the Topeak one https://www.topeak.com/global/en/products/224-Fat-Bike-Racks/831-UNI-SUPER-TOURIST-FAT but even this will require a mod as the attachments on this bracket requires the thread on the frame on outside, but our DD frames the thread is on the inside!

The other I've seen (but the company is in the States) is one called Fatback LCG Rack which is reviewed here: Rear Racks for Fat Bikes, List and Guide - BIKEPACKING.com (scroll down page to see it). But it is not listed on their website so no idea if they still make it.

I know Topeak also do the "Beam" type which just attach directly to seat post & nothing else, i do not want one of these as my luggage will be bouncing everywehre!!

So any ideas much appreciated!

Cheers!
I use this one, it mounts to my DD70 without any issue and my Ortlieb panniers mount without issue either. It has a lot of adjustment built in which makes it possible to mount on multiple bikes or the same bike with multiple wheelsets. In my case this rack works with both my 26x4 and my 29x3 wheelsets and looks like it has room for 4.8". It is cheaper in price but that does not show in the quality or sturdiness of the rack.

Ibera rack

·
Registered
88 Posts
I use this one, it mounts to my DD70 without any issue and my Ortlieb panniers mount without issue either. It has a lot of adjustment built in which makes it possible to mount on multiple bikes or the same bike with multiple wheelsets. In my case this rack works with both my 26x4 and my 29x3 wheelsets and looks like it has room for 4.8". It is cheaper in price but that does not show in the quality or sturdiness of the rack.

Ibera rack

View attachment 1917466
Hey buddy!

How does it attach? My wheelset uses Thrubolts, not QR skewers? Does it attach to the bike frame, and does ir work ok with disc brakes? Because description says for Non Disc Brakes?

Cheers!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey buddy!

How does it attach? My wheelset uses Thrubolts, not QR skewers? Does it attach to the bike frame, and does ir work ok with disc brakes? Because description says for Non Disc Brakes?

Cheers!
it mounts to the stock rack mounts on the Felt DD, the two bungs by the seatpost and the two bungs on the inside of the frame by the rear axle. if you zoom into the picture I posted, you can see the mounts by the seatpost and the mount to the inside of the frame on the drive side of the bike. It does not interfere with the disc brakes and doesnt mount to the axle in any way so thats not an issue. you could remove the rear wheel and leave the rack installed if you needed

·
Registered
88 Posts
it mounts to the stock rack mounts on the Felt DD, the two bungs by the seatpost and the two bungs on the inside of the frame by the rear axle. if you zoom into the picture I posted, you can see the mounts by the seatpost and the mount to the inside of the frame on the drive side of the bike. It does not interfere with the disc brakes and doesnt mount to the axle in any way so thats not an issue. you could remove the rear wheel and leave the rack installed if you needed
Brilliant, thanks :)

Ive just ordered one! ..the one it links to says "No Disc Version" even though the DD has discs, im guessing this version will fit ok?

141 - 151 of 151 Posts