Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

121 - 140 of 151 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Wanted to put this here just in case it might help someone else. Sorry its so long

I have a small frame '17 DD70, due to being a size small and the geometry of the frame I had a lot of trouble finding a frame bag that would fit the small space available. I had drawn the frame geometry per FELT's specs in autocad, scaled and overlaid an image of the bike, then started looking at frame bags and drawing them and laying it out. This allowed me to rule out MANY bags in a short period of time without having to spend 1 dollar. The ONLY bag I found that fit as if it was made for a small frame Felt DD was the Topeak Midloader 3L. Its not a full frame bag but it fits like a glove under the top tube. Short of making a custom one, this was my best option. I allows me to carry my repair kit, tools, and my Lezyne Micro Floor Drive XL Pump, with a little room to spare. Perfect for my needs.

I also went from 3x9 to 1X11. I was able lose a little weight (around 525g) and free up handlebar space by removing the front shifter, front derailleur, replace all 3 chain rings with 1 and upgrade my other components. Here's a list of the parts I used and a couple notes

Rear Shifter - Shimano SL-M8000-R XT Rapidfire Plus 11sp shifter Right Side
Rear Derailleur - Shimano RD-M8000-GS Shadow RD+ Medium Cage
Cassette - Sunrace CSMX8-EAZ-O 11sp wide range 11-46t Black Finish
Chain - KMC X11.93 11sp Chain Nickel Finish
Chainring - Absolute Black Oval 4x104/64mm 32t Black Finish

All upgraded parts were brand new and everything went on without a hitch, just take your time and find a few good youtube videos to follow. I already had some of the tools needed (chain whip, Park FR-5 cassette removal tool, and chain breaker tool) but needed to purchase a crank puller for the chainring portion so I purchased a Park Tool CWP-7 Compact Crank Puller. Having these specific tools made the job SUPER easy, they're not absolutely required but HIGHLY recommended as without them, there's a good chance you will mess something up (just get them).

I was going to replace the chainring anyway to get a narrow wide one so I went with the oval out of curiosity and cant see a downside as of yet, I'm happy. Going with this specific oval chainring, I didnt need to get different length bolts or need to use shims, direct mount with the stock hardware without issue.

Found contradicting info on this but the medium cage derailleur works fine and shifts like butter with the 11-46t 11sp cassette, no need for the long cage version.

I went with the Sunrace cassette vs the Shimano equivalent solely for cost reasons, it cost me roughly 30 grams in weight savings but I also got it in black which IMHO looks better than the silver.

If you've never adjusted a rear derailleur, find a good video on youtube and follow it to a T. Take your time and it will shift amazingly once it's properly set up. If you mess up, just start over and go over the steps again. This was my first time and I had to do that. Took a little time but in the end it shifts great and I can say I did it all myself, it made me more knowledgeable about my bike and the process of assembly and adjusting for the future.

Don't be afraid to try this yourself even if it's your first time. youtube and patience is your friend!

IMG_20190308_154445.jpg

·
Registered
521 Posts
Anyone crammed a 34t oval in yet? Just curious if it fits ok on a 3" chainline. By my measurements it looks real tight.

·
Registered
521 Posts
For the record, I put a 34t round cinch chainring with a standard 6mm offset on a RF turbine crank onto the Felt DD and it fits with room to spare. I'd hazard a gues that a 36 might fit too. Chainline is a tad off center towards the outside but I ride the smaller cogs mostly anyway so all good.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Two questions almost related.

Is anyone here experiencing rotor flex when turning? If so, is it with the original fork or a a suspension fork?

Anyone noticed play in their headset that is hard (or impossible) to get rid of without loading the headset bearings too much? Especially with a replacement fork. It seems the taper length of the steerer tube is not a standardized size

·
Registered
88 Posts
hi guys, i managed to pick up a brand new Felt DD30 frame at a knock down price of £120 posted so couldnt resist :D so decided to build it up for the mrs!

im not sure though which headset i need for it & also which bearings for the headset (or do all the fittings come with the headset?) ..ive pretty much built my own DD fatty from ground up, but ive never fit/replaced a headset!

Any info much appreciated! cheers ;)

·
Registered
84 Posts
everything comes with the headset yes, it even includes the crown race which you press on the fork

you can measure the inside of the frame with a caliper to know the dimension of the headset you need i.e. inside diameter up and down as well as possible length of each cup (which you press in)

I do not know the dimensions so I can't help you there

otherwise contact felt for information

·
Elitest thrill junkie
34,995 Posts
Two questions almost related.

Is anyone here experiencing rotor flex when turning? If so, is it with the original fork or a a suspension fork?

Anyone noticed play in their headset that is hard (or impossible) to get rid of without loading the headset bearings too much? Especially with a replacement fork. It seems the taper length of the steerer tube is not a standardized size
Is it a QR fork? If so, that is probably the source of the issue, although with the massive amount of rotational mass and gyroscopic precession, even 15mm axle is probably not appropriate for a fat-bike at speed. They probably need to go to 20mm. I've experienced rotor flex and this most certainly a problem, although it doesn't manifest in every situation. A wider axle is inherently fliexier due to longer lever arm across the same diameter, add the massiveness of a fat-rim and tire and it's a recipe for flex.

·
Registered
84 Posts
It's a 15x150 axle. I replaced the original fork with a lauf fork but it keeps on flexing. The new fork comes with a new axle which I would have hoped was stiffer but have no proof of it either way. The only thing that hasn't changed is the wheel itself and obviously the hub.

I've ridden a Cube Nütrail (several actually) which features a Bluto fork and Sun Ringle Mulefut wheels (with 4.4" jumbo jim) and 15 mm axle , no rotor flex there so now that I think about it means I can start blaming the wheels/hubs

·
Registered
88 Posts
Cheers for reply guys regarding headset, think ive found the one i need! :)

but now another problem, kind of..anyone know where i can get a rear axle replacement for the DD10? ..same axle also fits on the DT swiss 2250 rims, but i need another as im building another fatty using same frame/wheelset but i need a rear axle, all i know is that its 12x197 but unsure which exact rear axle i need or where to get it?

cheers!

·
Registered
88 Posts
hi bjosep,

i dont think that would work as it looks different to the one in link below..

heres the exact one that comes with felt DD fattys: https://feltbicycles.com/collection...-parts-bike-spare-part?variant=22369931460726

but cant find it in UK anywhere! if i knew someone over the pond, i would give them the money & ask them to order it & post it to UK for me lol because the felt website wont let me order it as im in UK :(

·
Registered
88 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
just an update, i managed to find an axle: https://www.syntace.com/en_GB/produ...U4gekXzr9CMpXqR-0-hO5JsMb5tIE3OUnI5WFLgNm5rtE

Its very similar to the one you posted bjsoep except this one is 220mm in length! :)

Some parts have arrived in post now, rest of the parts should be with me by middle of next week except for the wheels as these are the DT Swiss 710's being custom built :) will start a new thread when i start the build \o/

·
Registered
88 Posts
another question!

Anyone here fit 120mm blutos to there DD?

I ordered some which are arriving tomorrow, but just wondering if anyone here has fit 120mm travel forks on there DD :) ?

·
Registered
88 Posts
hi again guys, anyone have any issues witt the rear brake disc being VERY close to the caliper mounts & adapter, i have about 1mm spacing between the brake disc and the caliper mount/adapter!?

·
Registered
84 Posts
I haven't measured the spacing but with the standard 160 mm rotor the clearance wasn't an issue but when I tried fitting an 180 mm rotor I found that to be more or less impossible due to the rotor grinding the pads more or less.

This was on an 2016 DD70 frame, don't know whether that is the same design as the frame you're building.

·
Registered
10 Posts
just picked up a 100mm Bluto RL with remote lockout for a steal, cant wait to get it installed...now I just need a dropper post and I'll be set...that is, until I bite the bullet on an ICAN SN04

121 - 140 of 151 Posts