Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 151 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a bit of info here and there about these fatbikes, but nothing centralized in one thread. So let's start a thread about all things Felt fatbikes. Mods that work, mods that don't work and things we like and don't like about them.

Here is a thread that was started specifically about the DD70, but spilled into the DD30 as well. It's been dormant. I'm putting it here because it contains useful info about the two models.

http://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/felt-double-double-70-a-947758.html

There are three models for 2016: the DD70 (black), the DD30 (blue) and the DD10 (army green).

I've owned a DD30 for a few months now. I really like it. To me, the bike is well spec'd at a good price.

I find the Deore brakes to have excellent modulation. The carbon bar dampens vibration very well. The 15x150 and 12x197 thru-axle hubs allow for Bluto and tire upgrades. The Jumbo Jim 4.0s supplied with the bike roll well, are very light and I find them to be great all-around tires. They will be replaced by a second set of tires for winter riding (Nates for the time being, but likely something bigger soon now that I own a fatbike that can take bigger tires).

I like the way it rides, and I like the way it looks.

11222159_10153621254128762_3889984761143620119_o.jpg IMG_20151031_082309-01.jpeg 1445812925341.jpg

I added a few purple parts to the bike. Straitline De Facto pedals, Salsa seat collar, Salsa stem cap, and some purple Duck tape on the rims for good measure:

2015-10-31 11.21.33.jpg

I went on a short bikepacking trip a few weeks back and tried fitting a rear rack to carry some of my gear. First, I tried to fit an Axiom Fatliner rack, but the rack does not fil properly, at least not stock. The Axiom rack sat way too high up, as high as my saddle. This is because the Fatliner rack is made to be attached to eyelets that are located where the chainstays and seatstays meet, right above the QR or thru-axle. The DD30 has eyelets that are located higher than that, on the seatstays, right above the brake calipers.

I found a rack that works well with the DD30, at least with my small frame: the Surly rear rack. It clears the 4.0 tire with a ton of room to spare. I bent the rack sides outward just a tiny bit (it's steel, so it's all good) so that I could attach the rack to the eyelets on the inside of the frame. I used V-brake spacers to fill in the gap between the frame and the rack.

The rack arms that came with the Surly rack were too short, so I used the Axiom rack arms instead (280mm long).

2015-09-25 16.59.50.jpg
2015-09-25 17.00.13.jpg 2015-09-25 17.00.02.jpg

I have a few questions for fellow DD owners:

- Has anyone gone tubeless with the stock rims?

- How do Bud/Lou or the Beists fit in the frame?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The DDs seem to be popular in Europe. I found DD threads on MTB forums in Germany and Finland. I can't read either language, but Google translate does an OK job. You get the gist anyway :thumbsup:.

Felt Double Double | MTB-News.de

Felt Double Double

I was going through the German thread and found pictures of a DD30 with Jumbo Jim 4.8s on stock rims (at p. 37) :

Fotor_143490117133042 (3).jpg Fotor_14349050107168.jpg

In that post, the guys says the JJs were mounted with tubes, at 14.5 PSI (1 bar), the tires measured 112mm wide, 755mm height. He said there is a slight chain rub in lowest gear.

This other guy (at pp. 38 and 40 of the same thread) put Jumbo Jim 4.8s on 90mm rims. He claims they fit well (no mention of rubbing), the tires were measured at 113mm wide and there was a 7mm clearance on each side of the frame. See for yourself:

1852884-bo3kfhc4m74i-wp_20150621_20_34_56_pro-large.jpg 1852886-sh6x78awmna0-wp_20150621_20_34_44_pro-large.jpg

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm 5' 7" with a 30" inseam. I ride a small. The DD has a long effective top tube. I tried a medium and it's too big for me, even with a short stem.

I agree, the paint job is striking.

I couldn't resist posting another picture from the German thread (at p. 35). Here is a DD30 with BFLs on silver Clown Shoes:

Fotor_143129213795382.jpg

·
Registered
77 Posts
We're the same height but 28" inseam. Do you have clearance? This is what worries me the most. I wished Felt would re-think on making XS sizes in their FBs.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have standover but obviously not as much as on some other fatbikes with sloping toptubes à la 9zero7, Norco, etc.

With a 28" inseam at 5'7", you must have a long torso. IMO, you'd fit well on a small DD, but the only way to find out is to try one out! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
244 Posts
I have a few questions for fellow DD owners:

- Has anyone gone tubeless with the stock rims?

- How do Bud/Lou or the Beists fit in the frame?
1. Tried several times to go tubeless with the stock rims - failed both times because of the silly little bead seat that is on this rim. It is narrow and rounded - so while at high pressure (15 psi), it will pop onto the seat and stay on - the tire literally falls off the bead as you lower pressure < 10psi.

The solution was to buy a set of DT BR2250 wheels. ;)

2. This guy fits a lou on a Nextie 90mm rim and still has clearance.
IMG_6457.jpg

There is even more clearance in the fork.

I love my DD30. Bought it in Feb 15 and ended up riding it all summer. I've added BR2250 wheels, a Jones loop bar and a Chinese carbon fork.

I've weighed many of the parts, but have the listing at home. Off the top of my head:
Bars: 175g
Fork: 1400g (with steerer for XL frame)
Front wheel: 1450g
Rear wheel: 1600g
and my JJ 4.0 tires are just over 1100g each.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Scot, I'd seen your post on the Fat Bikes FB page last night and thought it'd be great to see your input here!:thumbsup: Nice upgrades you've done to your bike. What's the fork like? Is this an Ebay find? It'd be great if you could list the other parts you've weighted when you get a chance. :)

So, based on your experience, it's possible to run the stock wheels tubeless, just not a low pressures... Which kind of defeats the purpose, doesn't it! What techniques did you try? Did you try it with the JJs 4.0 or with other tires? I've read about a guy on a French Mtb forum who was able to set them up ghetto tubeless, but there was no mention about running low pressures...

Good to know that Lou fits in the back. There's no issue running Bud up front, the stock fork is so wide! A friend of mine runs Bud and Lou in the winter, I'll see if I can borrow them for a few days to try 'em out when we get snow.

·
Registered
244 Posts
The fork was $180 from a supplier that posts in the FB fatbike forums - but I'm not ready to recommend it just yet. It's built well except I don't like the axle they sent with it - its diameter is slightly smaller than the 12mm axle that comes with our forks - and the thread is different. This bugs me because it leaves a little "slop" between the axle and hub interface which makes it necessary to rely on the clamping load of the skewer to keep the front wheel tight. The axle has a weird / clunky / delicate interface that seems like it could break easily if it was over-tightened.

With respect to running tubeless on the stock wheels - I don't know if I would trust the tires to stay inflated when I rode it. I only had tried it with the Jumbo Jims - but I currently am using the rims to hold a set of snowshoe XL's while I stud them. I was going to take a video last night while I pulled the valve core and the tire deflated to see if it fell off the rim as it deflated. If I have time tonight, I'll give that a try to see how the Vee Rubber does. :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the info! For the time being, I replaced the tubes with extralight Q-tubes (made by Kenda) at about 250g. each. The rest of the bike is stock.

How did the Snowshoe XLs hold up? Did you have better luck than with the JJs?

Are you happy with the DT Swiss wheelset?

·
Registered
244 Posts
I haven't run the XL's yet - waiting for snow. :)
My JJ's are still doing awesome and don't show much wear for ~500 miles of use.

Super happy with the wheelset - noticed an immediate difference in how the bike rode, but to tell you the truth, the OEM wheelset is still pretty sweet - and tempting me to build another bike around them. :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
hello all, here is my DD10, had it since october and i love it. only changed the grips and pedals so far, the four mudguards are from various places including the rear which i made myself. pictured here on a local wildlife reserve a couple of days ago

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I was able to borrow Bud and Lou for a few days, great fit on the stock rims. No rubbing at low pressures (about 4-5 psi). It was my first experience on 5" tires. Needless to say, it was very positive! :thumbsup:

I also added a basic KS eTen-R dropper post. I like it. It works well so far all the way to -10C. It slowed down for me at -15C, but it still worked.

Here is a pic taken this morning in Gatineau Park, Québec.

SP_20160102_121251.jpg

1 - 20 of 151 Posts