Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
121 - 140 of 186 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Alright, we all know that recently a lot of people have gotten involved in producing Fat Bikes and related items. The flood of new gear ( would I be safe to say 90% of the gear is new bikes, not new rubber, boots, racks, etc? wtf) has introduced the possibility of "owning" a fat bike to many whom couldn't afford the initial offerings.

I appreciate that everyone is trying to get a piece of that pie, but what 99% of new (sub $1k) fat bike owners won't be able to afford is all the gear required for multi-season adventures they see so many pictures of others enjoying, much less the repair and maintenance associated with what most would consider typical fat bike use (i.e. extreme conditions). Not only will they be put off my some of those prices, they might actually get offended when they walk into the shop (after that awesome fat bike river adventure) with a toased bottom bracket or trashed rear hub and have to put up anywhere from $50 to $xxx? to get it fixed, only to expect it to happen again the next time they venture off the beaten path (if they don't perform their own repairs).

Then winter rolls around and they want to utilize clipless....HOW MUCH!! wtf? Stick a tree branch through your bud, lou, or nate, and need a new tire after only 20 miles....HOW MUCH!! wtf?

While I do see a lot of people being able to afford the initial invenstment of the bike, I invision a lot of bikes staying in the garage, broke down, or left unused because it just costs too much to operate.

I had a friend who bought a nice used z06 vette a few years back, and showed it off to all his friends. Did monster burnout and launched that thing off the line every chance he could (which is fairly typical for vette fellas). When it came time to put new tires on the back of that piggy....he **** a brick. Found a pair of tires and quickly put that car back on the auction block. We wanted to play sooooo bad, but found it costs wayyy too much.
Who cares? I will still ride mine. Are you upset because the general cycling population is poised to co-opt that which was once cool to you because of its obscurity?

How many people out there own full carbon road bikes, with 28 spoke wheels and electronic shifting? Talk about expensive maintenance.

I have a friend who bought a vintage Italian track bike a few years back, because fixies are cool. He posed with it for about a summer, now it hangs in his garage because his knees can't take the strain. Sounds like he is as much of a tool as your Z06 buddy.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Fat bike bubble? What about the mountain bike bubble? I remember my first mountain bike back in the '80's. First time I went down a moderate hill with a paved trail while stationed in Germany, that thing darn near killed me with the rim brakes.

You can't walk into a bike shop without tripping over all the mountain bikes.

What about the cruizer bike bubble? Or the touring bike bubble? You think a fat bike can get expensive, check out the tag on a high end touring bike.

All bikes come with maintenance, just like all motor vehicles do. It's a cost of living with whatever you decide to drive or ride.

I say bring on the competition in the fat bike bubble! It will only force the manufacturers to build even better bikes to earn our purchase of their bike.

The best thing is,

These folks are out RIDING. Isn't that the reason we all got into this in the first place?

Maybe it's just that everyone is snowed in......???

Wait a minute, we got fat bikes, get out and ride!

See ya,
Rod

·
Registered
549 Posts
Fat bike bubble? What about the mountain bike bubble?
Oh its coming!

Same with the 650b bubble, the 29er bubble, the 26er bubble, the carbon bubble, the aluminum bubble, the dropper post bubble, the 142x12 bubble, the 15mm bubble, the 20mm bubble, the 2 x bubble, the 1 x bubble, the derailleur bubble, the tubeless bubble, the tube bubble, the short stem bubble, the medium stem bubble, the long stem bubble, the presta valve bubble, the shrader valve bubble, the full-suspension bubble, the hydraulic brakes bubble,...

;)

·
Registered
6,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #125 ·
Ironically, I don't even own a fat bike (yet), so it isn't like i'm feeling attacked.
I don't find anything ironic about you not having any experience with regards to fat bikes, but being more than willing to provide us with your profound knowledge. You fit the mold quite well in fact. You speak of the criticism around the fat bike world, but yet you are still on the outside looking in? I have never been critisized for my bikes (other then from Gianturds wife), in fact I have gotten at least four guys phone numbers because of my bike. They were all wearing expensive winter tights and seemed interested in how large certain parts of my bike were.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Oh its coming!

Same with the 650b bubble, the 29er bubble, the 26er bubble, the carbon bubble, the aluminum bubble, the dropper post bubble, the 142x12 bubble, the 15mm bubble, the 20mm bubble, the 2 x bubble, the 1 x bubble, the derailleur bubble, the tubeless bubble, the tube bubble, the short stem bubble, the medium stem bubble, the long stem bubble, the presta valve bubble, the shrader valve bubble, the full-suspension bubble, the hydraulic brakes bubble,...

;)
You forgot the ever expanding and contracting bubbles of wide and skinny bars...

·
Registered
729 Posts
I don't find anything ironic about you not having any experience with regards to fat bikes, but being more than willing to provide us with your profound knowledge. You fit the mold quite well in fact. You speak of the criticism around the fat bike world, but yet you are still on the outside looking in? I have never been critisized for my bikes (other then from Gianturds wife), in fact I have gotten at least four guys phone numbers because of my bike. They were all wearing expensive winter tights and seemed interested in how large certain parts of my bike were.
My comments were on the need for cold weather riding gear and the way people react to new bike sub-cultures. I ride all winter, including last night's ice fest. Fatties are on most group rides around here and some of my riding buddies use them as their year around trail bikes. So yeah, it is reasonable for me to offer an opinion on winter riding clothing and people's perception of fat bikes.

But it seems like you're more interested in trolling and than actual discussion so whatever. Damn, it seems I have been successfully trolled. You sir are a master of that. ;)

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
If your passion is physics then can you work on a more balanced low profile fat rim. I've been dreaming of such a product but I don't have the back ground to make such a project happen.
I'm still trying to figure out how my rims that are missing two holes 180 degrees from each other can even be ridden. I should have majored in physics.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I am not sure there is an end to fat bikes....I am poor. Okay I am cheap not really poor...but I always get stuff that was cool last year on sale. My bikes are awesome three years ago. I found a closeout on a necromancer frame. Closeout on Sheba rims. Discount on Larry tires... whole bike is in (new old stock 9 speed sram gears) under 1200 but has some nice high end parts. It rides great and I do not ride anything else on the dirt.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have ridden a Pugsley through two Michigan winters now (this current one has been a lot more fun than the last.)

I have to support the OP. Fatbiking, especially in the deep snow, is hard. It's easier to get hot than it is to get cold, sometimes, even when it is 7F out. Merino wool is extremely expensive, but it's the best cold winter base layer out there. In two winters, I've replaced my chain twice ($30 ea.), three sets of MWOD chainrings ($93 a set), a bottom bracket ($50?), brake pads ($25/set), and several Surly Toobs ($15 ea.). I've bought 2 sets of 120 TPI tires (almost $150 a pop), only to realize that there is no perfect tire for all snow conditions. I do all my own maintenance--it's really my favorite part, truth be told, but that would add up to a decent amount of shop fees if you paid for it. I can't tell you how much I've had to dick around with my front derailleur or stupid bb7 brakes to keep them running smoothly.

But what I keep coming back to is that riding in the winter (can be) hard. Doubled over, sucking frigid wind while shivering in sweat-soaked base layers hard. Wiping out a lot/making dabbing an art form hard. Realizing that frozen ground is also hard.

You can't get most people to ride a bike on a beautiful sunny day, let alone an overcast day in the fall. 7F? Not many takers. That's the real limit. I'm not trolling, and I don't think that means they won't sell more and more fat bikes. Just that I doubt how many will get ridden, at least in the winter.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Merino is not expensive. Stop buying what Rapha tells you to buy and go to Goodwill, I have a bomb proof Merino sweater I wear riding and even wore to my cousins wedding and I got it for I think 6 bucks? I had a different one before that I got for three.

Also, yes, fat bike maintenance seems expensive. I wanted to build a Krampug from a "deal" of a Pugsley ($800 used), but realized that building a wheelset was ****ing expensive.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Yes fat biking is hard in the winter, yes you wipe out more and dabbing with out missing a beat is an art form. This is what keeps me coming back, the challenge to clear it all, so what if I am cold, ride harder.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

121 - 140 of 186 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.