Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a thread for discussion about time pedals.

I decided to start this thread after I bought a pair of used ATACs. They seem extremely heavy, Im not sure what year they are but the platform is grey and has ATAC in black letters and "extreme condition gear" in very small font. Im thinking they have to be 4 years old or something. However I have heard great reviews for ATACs. Are ATACs still heavy or did Time shed weight?

·
Vaginatarian
5,686 Posts
the older Atacs as well as the new aluminum and z control use the original ( and I say better) clip design . The 2 wires that hold your shoe are independant, the newer ones go through to the opposite side and when you strike the bottom they release you. In my experience the new style also didnt last as long
the older style is probably the best thing available for mud and snow conditions too.

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
dan0 said:
the older Atacs as well as the new aluminum and z control use the original ( and I say better) clip design . The 2 wires that hold your shoe are independant, the newer ones go through to the opposite side and when you strike the bottom they release you.
Yuk...good to know, that is why I quit using Crank Bros and got some Aliums

·
Vaginatarian
5,686 Posts
got these off their web site to show what I mean
looks like all of the X series are new style , makes sense if you look from the axle side the wires form an X from top to bottom

notice the bottom diagram the wires are 4 independant

Attachments

·
Vaginatarian
5,686 Posts
mtnbiker72 said:
Looks like the ROC ATAC's still use the independent springs as well...good info to know
yep, just the X series. I was a die hard atac fan, then I bought the xs and hated them. I thought they all were like that so I switched to Spds. which are great but not in mud or snow

·
Never enough time to ride
1,575 Posts
The ROC's look like where I'll be heading then. I had the old style ATAC and loved them, got some of the new ones and hated em. The traps wore out very quickly and if I struck a rock it was a good bet I'd release from the pedal. Had the same issue with Crank Brothers, not to mention I couldn't seem to keep bearings in the dang things. Been on SPD's for the last few years, and like them a lot, the newer traps work very well in mud and snow but not as well as Time's or Crank Brothers.

If your looking for the ultimate in bombproof pedal, you can't beat the ALIUM. They're bricks, and they're not real pretty by man can you beat the living crap out of them, and they keep coming back for more.

happy trails...

squish

·
Registered
810 Posts
No nipple comments but your pedals are in the 97-2000 range. I have one set of those and two sets of Aliums (old style) that have held up since 98 just great. Too bad I haven't, I shattered my ankle and now can't use clipins at all off road so I'm rocking BMX flats these days.

·
Photog Cyclist.
401 Posts
six foot sloth said:
Hey! thats my girl friend jerk!!! man Im so mad she took it with a nipple slip..
I don't mean to be rude but has she considered breast augmentation:D

I have various Time pedals (5 pair ) and have been using them for ever. I love them, The older ones are bomber but heavy and the newer ones are pretty light but have held well to. I have never had the newer one unclip when I whacked something--knock on wood.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.