Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I would like to know what makes the SJ EVO's head angle 67 vs the regular SJ FSR ...68 deg.
I know the fork is 150 mm instead of 140 -

but 10 mm fork is not enought to make such a diff. head angle!
what else? the FSR LINK?
the frame itself?

thanks!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The swing link is different.
I accually took a caliber and measured from all kinds of places and the EVO EXPERT link looks and measures exactly the same as the regular elite(did the check in the 2011 models EVO vs. elite, the 2012 models are not here yet in israel..)

the rear shox were brain vs. rp23 but both had the same "inner leg" length and only the stroke is different: in the elite 7.75x1.9" vs. the EVO's 7.75x2.0"
the comp 2012 in the specialized spec in the web is same as the EVO 2012/2011.
so what I can think of is maybe there's a change in the frame itself?

(the evo models will take alot of time till they get here..
so I want to take a Comp FSR 2012 which will get here in 2 weeks hoplfuly , and open the front rear shox to maximum of 150.. put on some fat tires and get a compt evo in the near future - hand made by me :)

am i the only crazy one who thinks about it???

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nah there's a few of us really interested in putting the evo rp23 on the regular stumpies and if that makes the warranty blow up or not. Interesting read.
I dont see the problem... the rp23 has the same stroke and length as the triad so no big deal. warranty will blow up if u put a 160 mm fork yehh...but rear shock that fits? no..

I have a friend who make shox work like heaven (has a shox workshop) he makes tunes, mods and shox services for a very long time. in his opinion (and I kind of agree with him):
the triad is better because when u ride on open there is a little to almost no compersion that affects the shock.
in the rp23 even i the low settings of compression there is pretty much alot of it still working.
it's nice if u want a firmer feel at clims BUT feels much worse when u want to get the most plush feel and better ride when the going gets tough..
he said u can get much better results with the triad tuned insted of the rp23.

enjoy

·
Registered
479 Posts
What worries me is what a 44 inch wheelbase on a medium does to the maneuverability of the stumpie. Head angle and travel are essentially what gives you that enormous wheelbase so is it a tank on tight switchbacks?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
size M did feel a bit long, but at size S for me at least, feels tight very manuverable, not close t oa tank..
(i'm 1.71 met. )
accually The Stumpie has a pretty short CAINSTAY (420 mm) so it feels pretty nimble to me during technical riding, also in tight places.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.