Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

2261 - 2267 of 2267 Posts

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Anyone else care to weigh in on the 51mm fork offset vs “reduced” offset? Ordering a fork today for my inbound frame.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Anyone else care to weigh in on the 51mm fork offset vs “reduced” offset? Ordering a fork today for my inbound frame.
I tried both and prefer the 44mm. The 51mm felt like it turned in on me quicker if that makes sense.

·
Registered
7,736 Posts
I tried both and prefer the 44mm. The 51mm felt like it turned in on me quicker if that makes sense.
Just another data point but I don't feel over-forked or floppy with a 51mm offset Lyrik at 150. Bike is still a 29r and certainly doesn't steer like a smaller wheel size bike but certainly not twitchy. That's in the low setting and not xlow.

Odd but it's really when I'm off the bike HAB in some section that it won't track straight when pushing if that makes sense and is quick to turn. That said, I haven't tried 44mm either. And I can't really do Xlow except at bike parks and wide trails.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Just another data point but I don't feel over-forked or floppy with a 51mm offset Lyrik at 150. Bike is still a 29r and certainly doesn't steer like a smaller wheel size bike but certainly not twitchy. That's in the low setting and not xlow.

Odd but it's really when I'm off the bike HAB in some section that it won't track straight when pushing if that makes sense and is quick to turn. That said, I haven't tried 44mm either. And I can't really do Xlow except at bike parks and wide trails.
Good point, both experiences were with the bike in XLow and with 150mm travel. The 51mm did not feel twitchy at all. The quick turn in was not constant and I would say I didn't notice it for over 90% of my riding. But there are a couple turns locally that the feeling was very pronounced and repeatable. But I would not pass up a deal on a 51mm if you can find one.

·
Get Down Do you
432 Posts
I know sizing is often asked so I was able to throw my leg over a size small offering which says should fit up to 5'8" and unless you are coming from BMX that is definitely a no go. At 5'7" with riding shoes I felt like I was so far over the bars on a small it was ridiculous. Pedaling was great and comfortable but descending was weird feeling. The funny thing is the reach is longer than my current bike but something felt off. Hoping to throw a leg over medium sometime in the near future but we will see.

·
Get Down Do you
432 Posts
Riding a small at 5'7", and love the fit. Always test ride if able - different folks fit/prefer differently.
That is true and your Ape index can come into play also, ratio of wingspan to height, I just felt like I was too far forward on the bike when descending but maybe I am more torso than most at my height. My GF is is same height felt the same on the bike. I wish there was a medium to back to back with to really get a true feeling. My ape index I think is .9 if that helps but I have a short inseam.

2261 - 2267 of 2267 Posts