Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally made the jump. After two years of riding the Gary Fisher Tassajara around our local trails in the Canadian Shield - I made the jump to the 2007 ETSX-50. And so far its been frickin' awesome!

On the hardtail I'd bounce through the roots and rocks trying to absorb everything with my legs thinking that the hard work is all a part of mountain biking. And while I did enjoy it - the ETSX puts a smile across my face as I plow through the little bumps.

The ETSX is sooo much quieter than the Tass when plowing through obstacles. No more clanking from chain slap. I clear rocks a lot easier where if I tried it with the Tass I would have hit cranks against rock. And the fit - the more upright fit of the bike is sooo much more comfortable.

Anyway thats my story. I'm going riding everyday from here on out this season. :thumbsup:

·
ups and downs
15,599 Posts
Welcome to the cult... er... I mean, club. They really do ride very different from any other FS bike I've ridden or owned. The only "downside" will be that you'll likely find that you get more vegetation ingested into the rear cog. That's the only aspect of the elevated stay design that I found a bit frustrating. :thumbsup: Lots of BB clearance, terrific technical climber, what's not to like. :D

Attachments

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'm still waiting for my 2008 but the etsx-70 2007 that has been put at my disposition (for free) by my LBS is such a sweet ride that I don't mind waiting. The etsx is really a super fun trail bike especially if you get a fork with adjustable travel. I might even install a gravity dropper on mine.

·
Registered
57 Posts
My etsx is about to arrive next Friday if everything goes according to plan. Ufortunately I won't be able to ride it any time soon since some blind driver mowed me down yesterday as I rode my bike to work. :madmax:

·
Registered
126 Posts
I haven't had the opportunity to ride the ETSX yet but there is a Rocky Demo out here this weekend so hopefully they will have a few of them out to try. After riding the Trek Fuel EX9.5 I have been absolutley sold on getting a FS bike (currently riding a done up Vertex). Would you guys say the ETSX is in a similar ballpark to the Fuel EX in terms of riding characteristics? I had been considering an element because I race from time to time but I think overall I would want a little more cushy ride from ripping in the trails.

·
ups and downs
15,599 Posts
The ETSX is a very unique feeling ride, it has lots of BB height compared to an Element, and it always to me like it feels like the front wheel hovers forward on steep technical uphills. It never feels like the front gets light, it's feels like it hunkers down like it's leaning forward to strain to climb. I used to have a 3" travel Instinct and went to the ETSX because I wanted more travel and was pleasantly surprised to find out how nicely it handles technical surfaces, especially uphill. Try it, you'll like it. :D

·
Registered
11 Posts
The ride is great, I use the 4.5" in the rear shock, it much more stable, but althought I like the bike, I am very disapponted from Rocky mountain, its about 8 mouths I own the bike I had so many failures, since day one the rear suspesion bolt opens, every few rides the back suspension start dancing, I am sure the body is not well aligned, bolts open, the 3rd rear gear keeps jumping when rear suspension is working, , I AM VERY VERY DISAPOINTED, and stupid me, paid US $5500. I had to ask my money back after the first month, but LBS told me stories, we have a solution, they have replaced many parts but bolt keeps opening,

I lost the joy or riding, I always have failures, climbing a technical mount,I find my self fighting with the rear gear, since the third gear jumps, and many more stories.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Well I just got back from the Rocky Demo. I had intended on trying an Element and an ETSX but due to getting a little lost in the trail I only had time to test the ETSX.

Unfortunately I require a 19" and it was out when I got there so I had to make due on an 18" ETSX 50. The ride was so buttery smooth, I was amazed at the fact that the bike doesn't really bob even with the rear shock is wide open. I only once tried using the propedal and it was good too but the ride is sooo good with the rear shock open. The Talas or w/e fork is on the bike up front was really nice as well as is expected with Fox. The main issue I had with the bike and this is only preference is that I use dual controls with rapid rise and going back to rapid fire was really messing me up and made me have to walk a few hills because of it.

The terrain was twisty hilly single track for about 10 kms with everything from log crossings to steep switchback and drop offs so the bike was really put to the test.There was even a few kms of gravel road for good measure.

I think I was sold on the bike when I encountered a downed tree that I would normally dismount to get around on my vertex. With the ETSX I said meh lets do it! I just lifted up the bars and the bike sort of floated over it. That is definitely where the elevated BB comes in handy, I didn't have to worry about bashing the chainring too bad (plus it was a demo bike :p )

Anyway all in all excellent ride and I will have to pick one up soon.

·
Registered
11 Posts
3rd gear

Hi Tungsten,

Thank you very much for your feedback, but unfortunatelly I don't understand very well your question, Saying "Stays" do you mean stuck in when it goes down?
no, it doesn't get stuck, I am saying it is mis-aligned since the bolt keeps opening, I think due to the motion while forces from the side, there is a force that tightn the bolt, like a pipe wrench and after a while the bolt gets open, but I can't confirm.

My LBS already replacedin order to fix the 3rd gear that jumps, Crank set, from Race Face Deus X-Type to Shimano XT, and Cassete. I didn't like the change, I consider Race face lighter then the XT but, I had to accept it since they said, its much more reliable and better then the Race face.
In order to fix the lower bolt issue, they have replaced the rear suspesion bolts twice, and swing arm once.

nothing solved the problems. it just keeps opening, when Rocky mountain were involved they said, we will ship a new swing arm with all related parts.
I really don't know what to do about it.
maybe someone can suggest how to force Rocky Mountain to take responsibility on their product, the time pass, my warrenty will expired in 2 months, then they will say, sorry but your time is over. :confused:

thanks guys.

·
ups and downs
15,599 Posts
bennamer said:
I really don't know what to do about it.
maybe someone can suggest how to force Rocky Mountain to take responsibility on their product, the time pass, my warrenty will expired in 2 months, then they will say, sorry but your time is over. :confused:

thanks guys.
Your ETSX has a 5 year warranty, its only limited to 1 year on pivot bushings and bearings.

·
Banned
553 Posts
bennamer said:
Hi Tungsten,

Thank you very much for your feedback, but unfortunatelly I don't understand very well your question, Saying "Stays" do you mean stuck in when it goes down?.
By "stays" I mean the whole welded assembly that connect the rear dropouts to the link arms.

·
Registered
45 Posts
5 years and counting

I have a 2003 model. I really love the bike. It's fast bike (but not quite XC race) and super durable. I have ridden in the snow, mud, sand, rock gardens and even bushwhacked through AR races. This bike is incredibly versatile.

After living in New England I thought that the bike was ideal for rock gardens and sloppy trails. 2 years in Los Angeles demonstrated to me that I also had a very stable bike for fast and loose SoCal singletrack. I just moved to Colorado, I cannot wait to take my rocky mountain to the rocky mountains! :D

The fit is a little different than I expected. It took me 2 years to find the right stem to be comfortable. I'm 6' with long arms riding a 19", I probably could have bumped up a frame size. Maybe others could comment on their fit. I solved the size problem with a 15deg 130mm stem.

Still riding the original Rock Shox SID rear. I replaced the rear bearings once. During the bearing swap I noticed a little rubbing in the swing arm pivots but, it's never been a problem riding.

Last fall, I thought it was time for a new bike but instead I picked up a Raceface Deus crank set and performance carbon handlebar. Dropped over 1 pound from stock parts. I could not be happier.

Great bike, sad to hear that it doesn't do the trick for everyone.

·
SamIAm
2,038 Posts
i just rode one last week at the RM demo and im sold. ive been looking at a trail bike for a while but i hadnt found anything that climbs so effortlessly while being so aggressive and fast.

it was going to be a stumpy, but i dont think so anymore. 08 etsx 70 here i come!

·
Registered
264 Posts
SamL3227 said:
i just rode one last week at the RM demo and im sold. ive been looking at a trail bike for a while but i hadnt found anything that climbs so effortlessly while being so aggressive and fast.

it was going to be a stumpy, but i dont think so anymore. 08 etsx 70 here i come!
welcome to the club buddy! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
8 Posts
i have recently just purchased a etsx-30 unfortunatly i haven't been able to ride it yet im kinda stuck in afghanistan for a while but i am comming home on leave hear soon and i plan on riding it evey day i am back.

·
Registered
264 Posts
sniper1121 said:
i have recently just purchased a etsx-30 unfortunatly i haven't been able to ride it yet im kinda stuck in afghanistan for a while but i am comming home on leave hear soon and i plan on riding it evey day i am back.
why did you not bring it? loads of hills there, but watch out for the snipers!! :p

1 - 20 of 24 Posts