Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
3,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
any of you fatbike fans been enjoying the epic crusty goodness the last month or so?

go anywhere riding. no trails. point and shoot through the forest.

got a 3 hour crust cruise planned for the morning here in york. nowhere near aggie:)

rog

·
Ride and Smile suckas
593 Posts
Yeah its like moon riding (well what I imagine that would be like). I am currently woods riding with ribbon so I can lay out new trails in these rare conditions. Go get it if you have a fatty. 3-4 psi and your off and blasting where no biker has gone before!

·
Banned
3,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah its like moon riding (well what I imagine that would be like). I am currently woods riding with ribbon so I can lay out new trails in these rare conditions. Go get it if you have a fatty. 3-4 psi and your off and blasting where no biker has gone before!
ha, i just mentally laid out a trail that will complete a zone that i've been working on. prefect conditions for it. nice thing about the fatty when putting in new trail is that you only have to mark, clip, and pull dead fall. no raking as the fat tires will pack the trail right in. so much less work.

rog

·
7,758 Posts
No, we have deep snow here in central VT, I sink about 2' in if I step off my snowshoe'd path. Even my 40 pound dog can't walk on the surface. Enjoy!

·
Registered
329 Posts
Right on Rog, crust fatbiking is the ultimate. Londonderry, NH area has been just crustable for 2-3 weeks, late nights or am or whenever cold enough. A foot of powder under 2" crust. Areas that had been sunny then froze were best, now shady areas more likely to work. I'm feelin' your frustration trying to explain it to others, too. Non-bikers and snow-chickens roll their eyes so hard ...

·
Registered
107 Posts
Here in the mtns of Maine, it has turned to ski weather. We received 12" of snow a couple of days ago, and the warmer temps are making the snow a bit too soft. Although as always, the weather can change here drastically in a few minutes.

·
Banned
3,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
And when the temps go down to 7 degrees tomorrow night at the coast, the crusting all day Monday with a high of 25 will be distractingly overwhelming:)

Amen brothers!!!

rog

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Central NH is still soft snow to deep (waist high)to ride just anywhere. The snowmobile and hiking trails have been great tho. I hit up bear brook Sunday, that was good too

image.jpg

·
cranktankerous Mainer
610 Posts
solid & icy mornings, great spring conditions.

·
Banned
3,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
nice todd! i like to wait a bit till a nice soft layer of corn sits atop da crust. just got in from a lovely loop in an area that i've never ventured before from the house. didn't quite know where i was goin, so on the return i had to keep 95 to my right. conditions were perfect soft corn on glacial base. one long hillside was so open i just zig zagged the whole way up between the trees and bank turned down a natural halfpipe down the north side. was a good 3-400 vert.

tomorrow morning rinse/repeat:D

rog

·
Registered
335 Posts
Skis have 4000 years of evolution on snow, I have 60+ on snow--what you can do on snow with skis/snowboards can not be matched by bikes on snow- you can ski crusted/uncrusted/pow, steep and deep, even in your back yard...But ,hey go bike, it's all fun...

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Skis have 4000 years of evolution on snow, I have 60+ on snow--what you can do on snow with skis/snowboards can not be matched by bikes on snow- you can ski crusted/uncrusted/pow, steep and deep, even in your back yard...But ,hey go bike, it's all fun...

Not sure what your trying to say, you're an old cave man?

I like slaying a pow stash as much the next guy or gal, but I'm not a big fan of skiing or boarding trees when it's all crusted up. Riding my fat bike on it is very fun!

·
Banned
3,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Not sure what your trying to say, you're an old cave man?

I like slaying a pow stash as much the next guy or gal, but I'm not a big fan of skiing or boarding trees when it's all crusted up. Riding my fat bike on it is very fun!
ya mang. these have been many weeks of the most rare epic daily crust. so much faster with more ground covered on the fatty vs any kind of skis. plus try skiing down the paved road sections from yer house to the trails and back or from network to network on skis. skis=very limiting. fatbikes=not limiting:)

rog

·
Registered
335 Posts
Old Cave Man here. Depends on where you live--I live in the mountains (Thornton,NH), always have, Colorado & NH. Deep snow with no crust. The only fat biking would be on packed snowmo trails or hiking trails that have been packed by snowshoers/hikers. I would rather be skiing, others would rather be biking, others snowshoeing or hiking--as long as everybody is having fun outdoors is what counts. I am a backcountry skier at heart but that is an iffy proposition in New England with the very variable snow conditions--so I enjoy 50 miles of groomed xc trails at Waterville Valley, 15 minutes from my apartment. And you can bet that as soon as I can get on my bike I will be all about biking. I usually can ride Franklin Falls in early to mid April - two years ago on March 21 it was low 80's at Franklin, no snow,ice, or mud--this year will be mid April at best. Which brings up this thought, sure to bunch some undies: the more snow is packed, the more it becomes ice--ice is a whole lot harder to melt then snow, just look at alpine ski trails or snowmo trails in April & May, ribbons of ice with bare ground on either side. Will the snow packing of singletrack trails for biking, especially in deeper snow years, cause a later melt out of those trails in the Spring, maybe delaying good trail conditions for a week, or two, or more. I am a trail adopter at Franklin and will note if there is any difference this year from what I suspect was an increase of trail use there this Winter.

·
Banned
3,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
thornton?^

i spent some time living in a sweet little chalet/cabin up johnson brook road in the early 90's. whole place was 300.00 per month including utes! nice country up your way.

killer crust this am, still:)

rog

·
Registered
218 Posts
Damnation, I'm with you - can't beat skiing when the snow is good, or even fair. We've had a ton of snow here (Ascutney area) but rarely has it been skiable. Snowmobile trails have been great for fatbikes, but I find it as exciting as roadbiking on a really bad day. For the past week we've had breakable crust on 2 feet of snow. The weather won't co-operate and make corn (except for about an hour on only the perfect aspects that get full sun). But the conditions Rog describes are special. It only happens every few years that you get big temperature swings for several days, followed by intense cold. The resulting crystal concrete is amazing. The last time we had it - a few years ago - I headed out on studded tires and had a blast. It's like the entire countryside is paved - no need for trails - the world is a giant skateboard park. But, my tire went flat, and I forgot a pump. My shoes wouldn't grip or break into the icy surface, and I couldn't stand up. I ended up crawling the 2 miles home.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts