Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That's the Injury Era: found out this morning, that after 42 months and three days, my left arm has FINALLY healed; I originally snapped both the Ulna and the Radius in half on January 12, 2001.

Since then, I've had three surgeries on it, including two bone grafts, and a total of four plates and 28 screws. Two plates are left inside, along with 14 full screws and 2 broken screws (from the first plate that failed).

Riding is coming back, skills are slowly but surely starting to return, and strength - while a fraction of my right arm - seems to be increasing. Yesterday, I even G'd out a pretty large (maybe 10 feet) drop that I unintentionally over shot the landing of and managed to land flat on, still holding on to the bars. Cool... :)

So hopefully, once things calm down a bit with Knolly, there will be opportunity to start posting pics and stories again, just like the old days. I think I hear the whop-whop-whop of helicopter blades in the near future...

·
Fart smeller
Paid to post this crap.
18,749 Posts
Fockin' a!

Man, that's a loooong time coming. Congrats!

Maybe time for a new camera? :D

fp

·
Banned
2,227 Posts
knollybikes.com said:
That's the Injury Era: found out this morning, that after 42 months and three days, my left arm has FINALLY healed; I originally snapped both the Ulna and the Radius in half on January 12, 2001.
Right on Noel.

Damn, I remeber when you realized that it wasn't fixed that day when we rode Whistler together, ages ago, with the boys in pink.

Congrats.

I've been having discussions with that peachy freak and I'm finagling something fierce to hit BC sooner rather than later.

The next beer's on me.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Monte said:
10 footers already? Awesome.

Glad to hear it.

Monte
Let me repeat - that part WASN'T intentional! I was aiming to air off the stump/ladder bridge on Upper oli can (typically, I do a little hop at the top and land about half way down the the ladder), but I had more speed than I've ever had before going into it. As I took off from the top, I realized I didn't really have a plan to deal with the speed, so I just hung on (hum - wasn't this what got me into trouble in the first place?). Anyway, I "landed" 50-50 - front wheel on the ground, and rear wheel on the ladder bridge, went for a bit of a sketch ride, then managed not to eat it :) Felt a little scary, but also pretty cool.

P-funk: thanks for the well wishes - Pete: let me know when you're coming up to BC: Whistler is freakin' great with Garbanzo, and there is a TON of riding around the Whistler area that's just awesome. Finche: ya, keep thinking I should get a new one, but I'm torn between saving for a digital SLR and buying something like the Canon Powershot S-1 pro thingy. I used to shoot a ton of sports while in University and keep thinking that I want to get back into it. However, there's something about carrying 10 pounds of lenses with an SLR body that is turning me off as well and just making me think about getting a pro-sumer compact camera. Anyway, with Knolly taking most of my spare time, I don't have the time (nor the cash!) to be checking out cameras - yet!

Monte: if you're interested, we're riding on Fromme every Wednesday evening - 6:30pm at the yellow gate. It's totally unplanned - just show up if you want to - we're heading up by around 6:40 and just plan what trails to ride on the way up. Sometimes there's two people and sometimes 12 - just depends on the day.

·
Woohooo!
5,104 Posts
Welcome Back!

I'm glad to hear that your healthy again! So when are you going to get back to CO to show of that bike of yours???

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Damn, I'm fully healthy and won't take 10-footers..i'm such a chickenshit! :p

hell, curbs scare me

·
i worship Mr T
5,543 Posts
congrats noel!

here's a deal for you: if you stay away from breaking your arm (and other injuries) i'll stay away from doing swan dives onto my head off of logs. :D

good to hear you're finally healed.

rt

·
Probably drunk right now
6,753 Posts
Welcome Back...

knollybikes.com said:

Since then, I've had three surgeries on it, including two bone grafts, and a total of four plates and 28 screws. Two plates are left inside, along with 14 full screws and 2 broken screws (from the first plate that failed).

Riding is coming back, skills are slowly but surely starting to return, and strength - while a fraction of my right arm - seems to be increasing. Yesterday, I even G'd out a pretty large (maybe 10 feet) drop that I unintentionally over shot the landing of and managed to land flat on, still holding on to the bars. Cool... :)

So hopefully, once things calm down a bit with Knolly, there will be opportunity to start posting pics and stories again, just like the old days. I think I hear the whop-whop-whop of helicopter blades in the near future...
Congratulations! Glad to hear that you're (finally) healed. Any trips to the flatlands coming up?

Ken

·
Registered
434 Posts
That's great Noel...

I would never want to have to go through something like that. It's great that you have kept with the sport through it all. Even at less than full strength you ride better and do more than I have the guts for.

·
Banned
824 Posts
cool

knollybikes.com said:
I think I hear the whop-whop-whop of helicopter blades in the near future...
We'll hope that's not a Dust Off helicopter. Good to see you're back on the bike, Noel.

·
Dazed and Confused
304 Posts
I was beginning to think that you were an urban legend...

Now I'm running into you all over the trails!

Glad to have you back, Noel.

Alan

·
Registered
145 Posts
Congrats....

Not off the bike nearly so long as you...but then again, I also didn't have the great "how did you do this to yourself" stories that you got to tell!

In any case, I lost every semblance of skills in addition to conditioning. But I must admit that every ride is a HUGE leap in confidence and skills....kind of like being a beginner again, but the rate of improvement week-to-week is even more profound. Hope you get to enjoy some of that intoxicating affect....

Oh, and watch out for those 10 footers! Geez, no wonder you go off and hurt yourself! ;)

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes, it is amaging how fast it is starting to come back: being able to actaully hold onto the handlebar the past month has made a huge difference :) I just need to spend way more time at the gym getting stronger - that would probably make the biggest difference.

Actaully, Whistler is good for this too, as you can pack in so much more technical riding into one day. From a reward perspective, it's not so great (the descents are so much better when you have to earn them), but from a training point of view, it allows for rapid growth in skills.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Best of luck! Hope it never happens again(the accident that is). Time to start stocking up on ibuprofen now for your later years.

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
Hey Knoll ( Sharon using Lees login...)

During the ripper a young guy nose wheelied down little smooth, intentionally! I hope you don't scare laurent by getting back 'into it'!

Lee and I have the S1, its takes great pictures! Uses a lot of battery, you can't turn the display off. We chose it over an SLR because of size and it has the 10X optical zoom which is amazing, plastic casing though. Pics of the rockies coming soon.

Will you be at whistler next weekend? We rode garbonzo yesterday, very nice. We're thinking of hiring a guide to do some alpine riding next friday or saturday if your interested.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts