Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am at a loss for words:

"Originally developed inside Harley Davidson, Serial 1 spun off into their own brand within the legendary motorcycle's corporate family. Check out our interview with Serial 1 president Jason Huntsman for more on their story."

Guessing next year they will announce the internal development of an echair, to be spun off into its own division.

I am no Harley fan (prefer my fancy European bikes), but this just screams sad desperation from a company that is losing its customer base and unable to get new customers (not for a lack of trying, they developed that Vrod, which was actually a good bike, nobody bought them).

·
Registered
6,443 Posts
It is like an April fools joke...

·
Registered
ya like dags?
5,848 Posts
I have a Harley. I've built Harleys. I've loved all of them. The company has fallen so far from grace so fast that it's actually confusing. They catered almost 100% of their business to a crowd (boomers) that not only won't be around much longer, but is also notorious for hobby hopping every few years. 10 years ago everyone over the age of 50 had to have a bagger. Now the dealerships are basically dead when I stop by, with the exception of a few of the leather vest goatee clad folks that are left over. That generation seems to have collectively lost interest and moved onto something else (RVing if paid campsites are any indicator).

I rode over to the dealership recently to check out the new Pan America, and decided I'm pretty much done with the company. They won't show you prices online any more, and they won't hardly discuss price. They only want to talk about payment, which is not how I do business.

This bicycle is also really stupid. It looks like they're trying to come up with something they can sell to the old people who lost interest in their motorcycles. "Hey guys, I know you don't ride your Street Glide anymore, but check out this bicycle you can strap to the front of your RV for cruising around the KOA site".

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
17,937 Posts
Do you guys know that 94% of all Harleys ever built are still on the road?

The other 6% made it home.

=sParty

P.S. Sorry if you’ve heard me tell this before within MTBR’s hallowed halls, but it’s been a while and… whatever.

·
Cycologist
16,853 Posts
View attachment 1942456

LOL. This is freaking funny AF. It looks so lame and is totally at odds with the Harley Davidson image.

I have a hard time picturing a dude all tatted up, beer belly, and dressed in leathers with a doo rag and a big beard riding around on this sissy bike.

How out of touch can those who run HD be?
When I first saw what you posted, I thought it was an old kid's bike that licensed the Harley Davidson name (I didn't notice the disc brakes). Wow, that is bad, I don't think an ebike is what they should be going after but they could have done a lot better job with it, I've seen ebikes that looked a lot more HD than that does.

·
Premium Member
8,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have a Harley. I've built Harleys. I've loved all of them. The company has fallen so far from grace so fast that it's actually confusing. They catered almost 100% of their business to a crowd (boomers) that not only won't be around much longer, but is also notorious for hobby hopping every few years. 10 years ago everyone over the age of 50 had to have a bagger. Now the dealerships are basically dead when I stop by, with the exception of a few of the leather vest goatee clad folks that are left over. That generation seems to have collectively lost interest and moved onto something else (RVing if paid campsites are any indicator).

I rode over to the dealership recently to check out the new Pan America, and decided I'm pretty much done with the company. They won't show you prices online any more, and they won't hardly discuss price. They only want to talk about payment, which is not how I do business.

This bicycle is also really stupid. It looks like they're trying to come up with something they can sell to the old people who lost interest in their motorcycles. "Hey guys, I know you don't ride your Street Glide anymore, but check out this bicycle you can strap to the front of your RV for cruising around the KOA site".
I never got past them acquiring Buell only to kill it off.

·
Formerly of Kent
14,154 Posts
View attachment 1942456

LOL. This is freaking funny AF. It looks so lame and is totally at odds with the Harley Davidson image.

I have a hard time picturing a dude all tatted up, beer belly, and dressed in leathers with a doo rag and a big beard riding around on this sissy bike.

How out of touch can those who run HD be?
Substitute leathers for insert-brand-here knee pads and you're describing most mountain bikers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
ya like dags?
5,848 Posts
I never got past them acquiring Buell only to kill it off.
I had an 1125R and absolutely loved that bike. I actually got to do a meet and greet with Erik also. Super cool guy. I was pretty bitter about that whole thing too. They killed it off and then stopped supporting it, which is insane. Most companies that discontinue at least continue to support stuff.

Luckily for most of the bikes that used the Evo motors the parts were still abundant. With the 1125R being a Rotax it was way harder to find parts after HD cut the cord.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
My eight-year-old self would be right at home with that. Banana seat and sissy bars. Just needs a playing card and clothes-pin in the spokes.
Yeah, but my very slightly more recent eight year old self wants a BMX and knows that anything with a banana seat is a girl bike

Reactions: Cary

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
The frame profile with the straight line from upper headset to rear axle definitely looks like a cruiser. But the seat and handlebar setup is all Stingray. They really lost the plot.

This is obviously not Harley's first foray into bicycles or small motorcycles. They had a bike in the postwar period with a little 2-stroke engine design stolen from Germany as war reparations

1 - 20 of 98 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.