Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

901 - 920 of 930 Posts

·
Professional Amateur
446 Posts
Hey there- 2nd time El Mar owner here. First one was a pre-gusset steel frame with the Alternator droputs (sold it to fund a Jones experiment) and now I just picked up a 2014 Ti El Mar from Craigslist. I tried searching this thread and found some ideas but I'm looking for the best method to max out the tire size that can be fit into these frames.

It looks like there's plenty of room in the front with the Fox fork crown but the rear appears tighter. Seems people claim to be able to run 2.8s on 27.5 wheels but does that make BB drop an issue? Just stick with 29er wheels and live with ~2.4 clearance?

My new bike is running the stock Shimano wheelset currently, I might try and build up or purchase a wider rim set but wanted some input from those that have tried it before. THX

·
Registered
771 Posts
I don’t have a Ti el mar, but I assuming the clearances are the same...

I wanted to go 27.5 x 2.8 for awhile, but all of the examples I saw didn’t have great clearance. Tire rub in the rear triangle when lateral force is applied and whatnot.

I personally ran a 29 x 2.4 ardent in the rear with the alternator dropout slammed all the way forward and that was fine. Right now I’m running a 2.35 ikon and like it, but wish I could have something higher volume. Really wondering if a small volume 29 x 2.6 would fit back there.

Probably gonna run my current setup for awhile. 2.35 ikon out back, 2.3 forekaster up front. I’m gonna swap in a 2.6 rekon up front when the trails get dry and dusty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Professional Amateur
446 Posts
I don’t have a Ti el mar, but I assuming the clearances are the same...

I wanted to go 27.5 x 2.8 for awhile, but all of the examples I saw didn’t have great clearance. Tire rub in the rear triangle when lateral force is applied and whatnot.

I personally ran a 29 x 2.4 ardent in the rear with the alternator dropout slammed all the way forward and that was fine. Right now I’m running a 2.35 ikon and like it, but wish I could have something higher volume. Really wondering if a small volume 29 x 2.6 would fit back there.

Probably gonna run my current setup for awhile. 2.35 ikon out back, 2.3 forekaster up front. I’m gonna swap in a 2.6 rekon up front when the trails get dry and dusty.

Thx for that info. I think I am sticking 29er as well. I found some pics in another thread of a fat 27.5 up front and the tire was in the narrow part of the fork crown. It fit but looked odd. I think I'm going to avoid trying to make this bike something its not and just maximize what should fit in there naturally. Now I need to go reeducate myself on tire availability. In the past I was a fan of Panaracer Rampage for my AZ trails.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Thx for that info. I think I am sticking 29er as well. I found some pics in another thread of a fat 27.5 up front and the tire was in the narrow part of the fork crown. It fit but looked odd. I think I'm going to avoid trying to make this bike something its not and just maximize what should fit in there naturally. Now I need to go reeducate myself on tire availability. In the past I was a fan of Panaracer Rampage for my AZ trails.
Haha, that’s exactly the thought process I went through. Might as well just make it really good at what it was designed to do.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Would it be a correct assumption the top is a 2015 Salsa El Mariachi 3 (double). Ill be picking these bikes up in a few weeks and will know forsure then but doing research before hand. Feeling confident the bottom is a 2016 Salsa Deadwood

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
213 Posts
Those are some nice looking bikes you found there. I’m pretty sure you’re right about the deadwood. The upper looks to be set up single speed whatever it is.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yeah, it was definitely changed to a single speed and upgraded fork if it is a 2015 El Mariachi. The photo isnt the best but the color looks like stormy blue.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
269 Posts
Finally!

Finally got the El Mar where I want it!

Started life as a 2015 rigid SS......

Added a bunch of aftermarket parts and here we are!

Fox Float 32 Factory CTD
Descendent bars (690mm)
1x11 XX1 shifter and derailleur with a 11-46 cassette
XTR Brakes (front is still XX1, waiting on new lever)
Stan's Flow rims with Hope Pro 2 Evo hubs
Chris King BB
Crappy cranks
Crappy pedals

I dig this bike!!

Cheers!

El Mar_2019_garage2.jpg
El Mar_2019_garage1.jpg

·
Registered
41 Posts
DSCF1600.JPG

It has been awhile since this thread has had a bump, so I posted a pic of my El Mar in its latest configuration. Set up single speed with 27.5 plus tires and a Surly Sunrise Bar.
l

·
Registered
509 Posts
New to me, El Mar Ti. 29er

bike2.jpg

XTR shifters/drivetrain
Magura MT Trail SL brakes w/Hope rotors
Enve/240s/Sapim wheels
Thomson post/stem/Ti bar
Chris King HS/BB
Fox Factory 34 FiT4 120mm
RocketV Ti saddle
GORE ride-on cables
Maxxis 2.5/2.3

·
Registered
12 Posts
2014 SS El Mar (updated to 1x11) budget build

A few pics of my 2014 El Mar, I was lucky enough to find a like new frame and built it with parts I had around or that I purchased used or as bargain, some parts came from another bike being temporarily stripped for a repair.

Tires are a little bit of an overkill but that's what I had around, probably getting some bike packing tires (Surly Extraterrestrial 29"x2.5") or XC tires (Ikon/Ardent) later on.

I'm very happy with the Firestarter Carbon fork, wasn't a fan of the black fork but I'm starting to dig it...

IMG_4193.JPG

IMG_4195.JPG

IMG_4197.JPG

IMG_4200.JPG

·
Registered
516 Posts

2011 el mar ti still in frequent rotation. My best climber by far. Wish it had alternators though.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I still am madly in love with my with my 2015 single speed el mariachi and have been toying with the idea of going full weight weenie with it just to see how fast I can make it. Besides the obvious (and expensive) Salsa Firestarter forks does anyone have suggestions for a good carbon fork for a El Mariachi. Thanks in advance all.

·
dirtbag
1,507 Posts
I still am madly in love with my with my 2015 single speed el mariachi and have been toying with the idea of going full weight weenie with it just to see how fast I can make it. Besides the obvious (and expensive) Salsa Firestarter forks does anyone have suggestions for a good carbon fork for a El Mariachi. Thanks in advance all.

The bike is only as fast as the rider in the saddle. That's not to say replacing everything with carbon won't put a smile on your face and lighter wallet!

Enve forks are pretty pimp. Come with a nifty cable management and fender.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I’m as fast as my 43 year old legs can go. But it’s still fun to dream and shop for new shiny bits for ones bike right.

Now could I stand to loose 10 pounds. Yes. But do I wanna give up beer or scotch to do that. No.

·
Registered
48 Posts
All right decided to give this a bump. I don't post too often here; mainly post on a thread about a bike I was unsure how to work on and find parts for (Cdale Prophet). But I've been an EM owner since 2016 and have had 3 of them in my house (2 for me, and my wife got one). I sold my 1st one a few years back to fund a plane ticket to a cool place for my wife and while I didn't regret it, I did feel the itch for another El Mariachi after that.

Here are some newer pics of what we have and some background.

But now I have a FS in addition so I've decided to keep mine set up as a TRIPLE (gasp!) as it meets our needs as mixed trail/adventure bikes and there's something so good about all day climbs I can do with it. Anyway I'm posing because there's a few things I've experimented with because I never saw it explicitly done or talked about on here:

1. A 27.5 conversion for the rear (NOT a 27.5+/650b+ conversion. Just regular sized 27.5). My wife wanted a wee bit more standover on her small. I decided to throw a 27.5 wheel on the back and see how it performs. It obviously slackens the bike out a bit (and the stance is exagerated in the pic I posted bc her seat post is a little low and we have massive riser handlebars on). But so far no reports of it worsening the geometry for her riding style. In fact, it may have improved her flickability. She still has very good acceleration and in my opinion better cornering. While she isn't as aggressive of a rider as I am, she hasn't had any pedal strikes (this lowered the bb by about 1/2")

I have used a 2.4 Nobby Nick on a 19mm internal width rim for this. This has plenty of clearance and stands exactly at 27.5. I'm thinking about experiment w/ a full 27.5 front/back (again, not plus) to see how it handles. I just need to get the right fork and I'll report back.*

2. Reverse seat collar. My dropper post prohibits me from using the collar in the correct (slots in collar line up w/ slots in frame) position. I've reversed it and have seen no bad effects on my frame. I'm a bigger boy (220lbs).*There's a lot of opinions about the correct way to do it. Just want to report I haven't had issues.

3. Alt bars on this bike are where it's at. I hate the salsa salt flats and have never used them.*I've used risers, but now that I put the Surly Sunrise bars...it's suave. I understand some people don't like them(and I understand that when riding agressive cross country) but these are sweet in 90% of what I ride. All day gravel and climbing? Perfect for hand and back comfort. Cruising? Check. Great in descents and are super stable in rock gardens.

Just wanted to report in. Happy riding!

IMG_20200505_143715.jpg IMG_20200505_143226small.jpg IMG_20200505_143326small.jpg

·
Expert Crasher
6,356 Posts
A few pics of my 2014 El Mar, I was lucky enough to find a like new frame and built it with parts I had around or that I purchased used or as bargain, some parts came from another bike being temporarily stripped for a repair.

Tires are a little bit of an overkill but that's what I had around, probably getting some bike packing tires (Surly Extraterrestrial 29"x2.5") or XC tires (Ikon/Ardent) later on.

I'm very happy with the Firestarter Carbon fork, wasn't a fan of the black fork but I'm starting to dig it...

View attachment 1328303

View attachment 1328305

View attachment 1328307

View attachment 1328309
Nice setup. Are those 17deg bend bars? Also, very interested in the Garmin mount.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Nice setup. Are those 17deg bend bars? Also, very interested in the Garmin mount.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Previous generation Salsa rustler carbon, a little narrow for my taste (they're 740mm and I really like the 800mm on my Fugitive) but they were the best carbon bars I could find for the price.

The Garmin mount is a K-edge adjustable stem mount, a little expensive but I was too far deepdown the rabbit hole to back up from the red anodized theme...you can find knock offs for cheaper on Amazon, but they may not be adjustable and their fit may not be the best (I had to grind a gopro stem mount that I sourced that way because it was too much of a tight fit n the 1 1/8 steering tube.

901 - 920 of 930 Posts