Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

881 - 900 of 930 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Update on 29x2.6 run on older El Mar's:

I have been running Nobby Nic 2.6's on Stan's Flow EX rims. The front clears with room to spare on a Reba, but have begun to notice some rubbing at the chainstays. It's pretty minimal and I put some helicopter tape on the frame to protect the areas of rub. When these tire wear out however, I'll probably just run a 2.4 in the back to avoid any issues. Excited about the new Bontrager XR 4 in 2.6

·
Registered
516 Posts

My SS EMT is getting frustrated about how slowly the trails are melting out this spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
New to me 2013 El Mariachi - new tires and 11-40t cassette plus a wash

Craigslist purchase from a pedicab rider in SF gets me my first modern mountain bike (other bikes are Rivendell Cheviot and Jamis Aurora - also both steel): 2013 17.5" El Mariachi 3:

ZZ8teqC.jpg
WQvsOdE.jpg
Wa3xsOV.jpg

I washed it and replaced the Trail King tires (oem style but they’d been replaced with the larger 2.4” that were worn nearly smooth) with X-King 2.4” front and Raceking 2.2” rear. Prior owner installed Ergon GP-3 grips (great idea but worn). I replaced the chain stay protection tape with new black fabric tape but will replace that with red skateboard grip tape later.

Replaced rear 11-36t cassette with Sunrace 11-40t, easy swap but requires a new chain. Well, not that easy, managed to bruise my rib when loosening the previously over tightened cassette lock ring - leverage and leaning over the wheel got it loose but I smashed my chest against the top of the tire, ugh!

One day I’ll replace the SLX crankset because there are a couple missing teeth and it’s well worn but shifts well enough for now. Any suggestions on a replacement crankset for under $100 (M590? M670?)? :confused:

Next I'll replace the shifter cables and housings, replace the brake fluid and hoses (pads seem fine) and true the wheels (the front is offset to the left for some reason?).

Heatgun helped clean off all the stickers other than the shock fork weight chart.

This is my first mountain bike since 1996 (then a Trek 930 without suspension) and I can't wait to get this steel beast out to Annandale State Park (Santa Rosa, CA) and Skylark Park (Napa, CA)!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Serval, Why don't you just replace the chainrings? Now would be a good time to swap it to a 1x if you wanted.
Much better idea, thanks! I’m not used to replaceable chainrings so didn’t even think of it. This is a stock 2013 El Mar drivedrain except a 10-speed 11-40t Sunrace cassette. What chainrings should I use as replacements assuming I choose to keep the 3x10 speed setup?
UPDATE: Got the SLX FC-M670 triple crankset (42-32-24t as the original FC-M590-10 crankset). $90 on eBay.

I’ll swap to 1x11 with 11-46t cassette one day, but want to ride more before deciding how to approach that. For now I like the wide range of gears and I’m new to mountain biking (used to slow touring road bike stuff).

·
Registered
572 Posts
Has anyone tried surly extraterrestrial 2.5” on an el mariachi?
I am willing to bet it works. I am using my El Mar as a monstercross commuter these days with Maxxis Hookworm 29X2.5's. This is a slick tire, but there is plenty of clearance, so even with knobbies, I expect it would fit (and the ET has a pretty low profile tread). My dropouts are all the way in, too, so there is still more room to play with.

·
Registered
213 Posts
@wahday thanks for the note. Another question what do you think of the hookworm on sand and gravel if you have tried it. I commute over widely varied surfaces on my Fargo and am looking for options.

·
Registered
41 Posts
2016 El Mariachi

First picture is a recent ride at Rose Hill Cemetery in Macon, Ga with factory tires & wheels. The second picture is today after the first single track ride on the 27.5 + wheels & tires. Velocity Dually Rims & Chupacabra tires, 27.5 x 2.8. Close in the back, but no rubbing during todays ride.

Attachments

·
Registered
519 Posts
First picture is a recent ride at Rose Hill Cemetery in Macon, Ga with factory tires & wheels. The second picture is today after the first single track ride on the 27.5 + wheels & tires. Velocity Dually Rims & Chupacabra tires, 27.5 x 2.8. Close in the back, but no rubbing during todays ride.
First bike I owned was a medium EL Mar and Everytime I see this thread it makes me kick myself for ever selling it, but it was one size too small. Sweet ride man, keep it going

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Updated El Mar/ Keep this thread going

6148CF4F-EAD0-48BD-B000-CAAFE2C68A75.jpg
Went with American Classic Wide Lightning. With Rekon 2.6 front, Ardent 2.4 rear (barely fits with wheel fully forward).

·
EXORCIZE
2,208 Posts
Went with American Classic Wide Lightning. With Rekon 2.6 front, Ardent 2.4 rear (barely fits with wheel fully forward).
Thanks - that's good to know about the Ardent 2.4 barely fitting with wheel forward. What are your impressions the Rekon 2.6 / Ardent 2.4 combo? Nice balance?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks - that's good to know about the Ardent 2.4 barely fitting with wheel forward. What are your impressions the Rekon 2.6 / Ardent 2.4 combo? Nice balance?
Highly recommend the Rekon 2.6. Nice rolling, grip. Good for those who aren’t ready to commit to a plus size tire. Wish I could fit this on the back.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Picked up this gem on Friday.

Though I haven't been able to ride any dirt as we are in the goo stage here in KC, I'm digging the hell out of this ride.

I've been full squish the past few years and am happy to get back to simple.

IMG_1942.jpg

·
Registered
213 Posts
I bought mine used about 1 year ago and the only new parts I have bought for it are a chain and a rear sprocket. The bags and tires are hand-me-downs from other bikes. But it’s neglect is not from lack of love. It is a great fast bike and the first bike that ever made me think about going full weight weenie. How fast could I make it? Here it is in its natural habitat yesterday on a 20km speed run. Single speed for the win.

·
Registered
771 Posts
First ride on my Light Bicycle RM29C07 (came in around 380g per rim). Got them laced up to XT hubs that I had, with some DT Swiss competition spokes. Wrapped with an ikon 2.35 rear, and a 2.3 forekaster up front.

Man did this liven up the bike! I was running the stock stans rapid up front, and the bike just never was precise through corners. Thing was a damn al dente noodle that I fought for far too long. Now it holds its line so well! It’s also way more flickable. Basically everything that I was hoping the wheel change would bring has been confirmed.

I need to pick up a SS spacer kit for the hub, so I’ll be trying that out soon. I’ll probably put the rigid fork back on for kicks with a rekon 2.6 out front.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

881 - 900 of 930 Posts