Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...or why every 14 year old needs an Evil Imperial and a supportive father.

Ok, so last December I went on a group ride in the Park and DWF (a regular on the CO Front Range board) brings his 14 year old son. I was impressed DW Jr.'s riding then, but I was blown away by his riding just 5 months later. What a difference a 7" travel hardtail a little skilz, and a supportive father can make :).

Dropping the line in the last picture.

Of course, I wouldn't lay all of the blame on his father. S1ingletrack showed him the line to begin with...

So anyways, a post with 130+ replys on the Front Range board led to a 19 rider group ride on Sunday ranging in age from 14 to (however old DFW is). I think everyone (with the possible exception of the walking wounded) had a good time.

Mtbkid just hours after his Prom. He had by far the fastest, smoothest line down this "trail"...

Sin dropping in. (Un)Fortunately I didn't manage a picture of him crashing on the notch steps. I hope the ankle is ok!!!

Rally Blue on the notch steps:

Rally Blue was the first to try what I would consider a very innovative line. Riding on an off camber face, he used the contour of a small depression as the entrance to a 6 foot drop. As you can see in this picture, he is about to land nose heavy, but what you can't see is his bowling for $$ crash in which he almost fell off a 14 foot cliff. I'm glad you were able to use those wrists as brakes Dave. Needless to say, Dave was the only person brave enough to attempt the line ;)

After that trail, we headed for other places. Here is S1ngletrack on a gap drop I haven't seen before.

There were way too many people there for me to catch everyone's name--sorry!

mcarples on the drop for his first time. A little nose heavy, but there is potential...

Another name I don't quite remember... He styled S1ngletrack's line though.

And here's S1ngletrack on the same line.

·
Cynical Bystander
6,770 Posts
That was a fun ride Kristian. Kinda weird how I'm standing in the backgrounds on half the pictures up there. :p We'll have to get a ride this size going again soon, or well... maybe the next one will be your shuttle ride. :D

·
Cynical Bystander
6,770 Posts
ironhorsebike1 said:
sweet ride and pics man. i wish i could have been there. killing me to talk to all you guys and not kow any of you (except keaton, tony, and rocky)
Rocky didnt' go surprisingly. You'll have to make it down for the next one Corbin. :)

·
Non Dual Bliss
6,240 Posts
Thanks for the great pics and for leading/organizing/shepherding the ride, Kristian, it's always great fun! I'll be sure to never show DW this thread lest I have to buy him a bigger helmet. He is 14, turns 15 in November.

I gotta' tell you that DW's progress is getting so fast it's scary, at least for me. A lot of the credit (blame?) for that goes to Josh (s1ngletrack) who's been teaching DW the finer aspects of approaching drops and technical challenges with "Nothing but visions of success!"

·
Rolling
11,120 Posts
DWF said:
Thanks for the great pics and for
I gotta' tell you that DW's progress is getting so fast it's scary, at least for me. A lot of the credit (blame?) for that goes to Josh (s1ngletrack) who's been teaching DW the finer aspects of approaching drops and technical challenges with "Nothing but visions of success!"
He's gonna be an old fart soon! fuuker! I am so envious!

·
Banned
1,724 Posts
Sweet pictures Kristian - thanks a ton. We're gonna have to man the camera for a bit next time, given that our fearless tourguide is conspicuously absent from every pic. :)

I like that pic of Mcarples, it's always cool watching someone hit something new and come out of it in good shape.

I was kind of bummed that Keaton (mtbkid) had to take off so soon - that guy is wicked smooth.

You better watch DW, Don - between his exposure to the darkside (FS) the other day and this thread (should he stumble across it) you'll have him trying to turn your house / shop into one gigantic double by May. ;)

·
:\ ping of death
1,092 Posts
I guess this guy on the left doesnt want to get hurt? Ironically he is missing the most important piece of armor to wear... :eek: Great pics though!

·
Banned
1,724 Posts
phoeneous said:
I guess this guy on the left doesnt want to get hurt? Ironically he is missing the most important piece of armor to wear... :eek: Great pics though!

Uh oh, you are absolutely right. I can't believe that Dave rode the entire day w/out his helmet on and none of us noticed. Hmmm, must've been the backwards cap he was wearing (in every other shot except this one) that threw us all off. Damn that Dave - always trying so hard to show off his hard, [email protected] BMX side by spectating without his full face. ;)

·
I don't do PC
7,401 Posts
Great shots Kristian and even better action! That was a lot of fun watching those guys hit those nasty lines, some very skilled riders and I agree that DW was impressive. The guy in the blue jean cutoffs and no armor was super smooth and hitting all the nasty lines too, I didn't catch his name either. Great time.

·
Non Dual Bliss
6,240 Posts
phoeneous said:

You realize that he took his full-face off while watching the action, right? Check out pics 8 & 9 for when he's actually riding....

Dave (RallyBlue) was really pushing it on Sunday!

·
Banned
1,724 Posts
rroeder said:
Great shots Kristian and even better action! That was a lot of fun watching those guys hit those nasty lines, some very skilled riders and I agree that DW was impressive. The guy in the blue jean cutoffs and no armor was super smooth and hitting all the nasty lines too, I didn't catch his name either. Great time.
I think that his name is Doug. That is the first time I've met him, he's a really good rider. I'm not sure if he is on MTBR.

·
Non Dual Bliss
6,240 Posts
rroeder said:
The guy in the blue jean cutoffs and no armor was super smooth and hitting all the nasty lines too, I didn't catch his name either. Great time.
His name is Doug and I think he posts under "dwj". He is a hell of a rider!

The kid on the orange ASX really impressed me. He was soooo smooth & fluid that you had to wonder if his wheels were ever really touching the ground. He needs a hardtail!

·
Non Dual Bliss
6,240 Posts
s1ngletrack said:
You better watch DW, Don - between his exposure to the darkside (FS) the other day and this thread (should he stumble across it) you'll have him trying to turn your house / shop into one gigantic double by May. ;)
Yeah, I can't remember who's FS bike he tried at Palmer, was it yours? After the ramp session at our house he told me later that he liked the Evil a lot better than your AC, so I'm safe for now. ;)

I'll be forbidding him riding any more FS bikes until he finishes paying off his current ride.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.