Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Halfway up JoyRide they cut out a very tricky corner root that was a good challenge in each direction.

I have no further comment, just bitching - I hate to see good tech removed. One less victory that can be achieved.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have never climbed Joy Ride, I think I need to try it! Noticed they took out a couple of small features going down it yesterday and OTG has no less than 6 new lines, ride arounds essentially, that have now become the main line, kind of annoying....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
About time. There’s a story about that section and why they did it. PM me and I will give you the details.

Sometimes trail sections just flat out don’t work and usually erosion makes it much worse.

Erik

·
Registered
56 Posts
Can you share the details with the community? I too get a little bummed when difficult features are essentially eliminated. I always feel if the section, however short, is too difficult for you, walk it until you are better or are ready to commit.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Can you share the details with the community? I too get a little bummed when difficult features are essentially eliminated. I always feel if the section, however short, is too difficult for you, walk it until you are better or are ready to commit.
This happened to me in OTG , two sections , that I eventually learned to ride, a blind drop with rocks, and another steeper drop both dumbed down, then a left tight turn with roots filled up.
Why are they doing this? cant they do a ride around instead?

·
Wierdo
3,190 Posts
Why are they doing this? cant they do a ride around instead?
When I was leading the effort at Paradise Valley, this was a constant, losing, battle. People are just entitled, lazy, unaware or all of the above.

Sno County was concerned about excessive trail braiding so we tried to block ride-arounds. I remember once blocking off a ride-around of a rooty section on one of the more technical trails and several days later came across a guy removing the blockage. When I asked him what he was doing he said "I like to take my young daughter on this trail with me and this feature is too hard for her". Whaaa?

·
I should be out riding
1,866 Posts
OTG, FR, and Joyride have all seen a major decline in fun due to lack of maintenance IMO. It's weird to see so much success in building new trail, yet so little attention on maintaining existing trail.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm not a fan of all the ride arounds and wildcat lines on OTG which could be called a maintenance issue (or not, depending on your perspective). For the record I don't lke them because in most cases they exist to route around a more difficult, slower line. Lame.

But I disagree on lack of maintenance for FR an Joyride, they seem like they are running good to me and in fact this particular incident is a case of too much maintenance, ie cutting out and removing a challenging feature that was not "dangerous" in the sense of exposure nor a wildly unexpected challenge level.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Yep, I noticed this one too and commented on it when I rode through. Would like to preserve a few things that are hard to ride here and there, but it sounds like someone hurt themselves there, motivating the change.

(EDIT: Was sad about the blasting of the rock outcropping on the Raging Ridge trail, too...)

·
Registered
253 Posts
Yep, I've been to the Snoq Valley Hospital ER three times after riding Off the grid. Time to close that evil trail! :)
Ouch! :)

To be clear, of course I didn't mean that any trail where someone hurts themselves should be changed.

Who knows what actually happened here, maybe it was trail work gone rogue. There's some of that angular blue rock in the Preston tread that I believe wasn't meant to be there (at least not like that)... :) :)

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If the story I heard was correct then it was deliberate, it was deemed too challenging.
To be fair, the specific sentiment was "its too challenging for the desired style of this trail".

Whatevs.

BTW I'm all for people keeping this thread alive for future use when they see dumbening happening.
I'll add one - climbing Grand Ridge from Issaquah, right before you cross the road when you go over the little wooden bridge and go up and take a hard right around a tree, there used to a little root there that you had to hit perfect to keep your mo'. Well, one day it just disappeared and now its another pedestrian bermed corner. That one annoyed me.

I'm not doing much digging these days, and I do believe in the principle of decisions get made by those who show up, but that's ironic because if they weren't trail working then these things wouldn't get removed !

·
Registered
54 Posts
Lots of dumbing happens at BDOS. Lower Beaver Tracks in particular used to have a root step up that I was working towards conquering and then one day, the root was completely taken out! Super bummed at that! West Side BDOS still has some challenging trails still, thankfully.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
358 Posts
This is the same story over and over again as Acree and P67 can attest to, its been going on for the last 25-30 years. Skills riding and trials moves are not in vogue as it takes a lot of effort. I get that people want to enjoy their vision of Mt biking but it brings us to the lowest common denominator in the end. Its a constant evolution of our trails, watch as Ebad and Predator become more mellower just like Preston from 25 yrs ago to today.
Reroutes and fill ins sprinkled with root removals and rock ramps in the name of sustainability.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.