Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Disclaimer: These are preproduction samples.

Just measured the new Bonty Dry X TR 2.1.
The volume rivals the Nevegal and Rampage.
Bigger than the Exi.
Still under 650g.
Full specs are up on my site.

Gear Engineering Metal Iron Tread

For tread block size reference
Text Font Metal Cylinder Silver

·
Category Winner
6,091 Posts
shiggy said:
Disclaimer: These are preproduction samples.

Just measured the new Bonty Dry X TR 2.1.
The volume rivals the Nevegal and Rampage.
Bigger than the Exi.
Still under 650g.
Full specs are up on my site.

View attachment 256881

For tread block size reference
View attachment 256882
Maybe a dumb question (I'm full of them). Any chance I could find a set before a 24 hour race at the end of May? Liking that volume, weight, tread, and tubeless ready designation.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Haroldlikesbikes said:
How about a side shot? I wanna see tire height and sidewall.

Maybe mounted on a bike to see just how wide this thing is.
Not yet. This tire does not have the proper AR casing construction

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Law said:
From looks alone, I am not sure that it will hold turns much better than an exi, but if it is wider and lighter...:thumbsup:
I expect it to grip much better than the Exi in the corners.

·
wot no bike?
1,056 Posts
shiggy said:
This tire does not have the proper AR casing construction
What do you mean by that, do you mean they're unrideable samples to demonstrate the tread? What's AR casing?

·
Low speed, High Drag
946 Posts
Promptly send two of thiose tires to me, for some proper dry testing! If Arizona isn't dry this time of year, I don't what is. I'll test 'em out over rocks, sand, gravel, rocks, and whatever else I can bounce 'em off of!

All this new 29er stuff is killing my bank account, and it's only gonna get worse!

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Blahla said:
It looks like a pre z-max tire from ritchey.
Sort-of-not-really. Slight knob shape similarity to the Quad but very different knob size and layout. Sort-of-not-really like the Comp 3 BMX tire, too.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
pahearn said:
What do you mean by that, do you mean they're unrideable samples to demonstrate the tread? What's AR casing?
No, totally rideable tires. As preproduction tires they are not the final spec. These were mistakenly made without the AR (abrasion resistant) ply in the casing. I am not going to post a sidewall pic because of that at this point. The AR ply may add 30-40g to the weight and make the tire much tougher.

A couple of other minor details need to be finalized, too.

·
Schipperkes are cool.
4,164 Posts
Any of the Bonty tires that do not have the AR casing are incredably fragile!

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
shiggy said:
Sort-of-not-really. Slight knob shape similarity to the Quad but very different knob size and layout. Sort-of-not-really like the Comp 3 BMX tire, too.
The knobs are also similar in shape to a Ritchey Force. The size and layout remind me of an old Tioga that I can't remember the name of.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
grawbass said:
The knobs are also similar in shape to a Ritchey Force. The size and layout remind me of an old Tioga that I can't remember the name of.
Only the center knobs of the Force.

The Tioga is the Comp 3 (III) I mentioned. The most copied BMX tread ever.

But the similarities with the Dry X end there. The size, number, layout of the main blocks and shape of the edge blocks are totally different.

·
Registered
804 Posts
I remember a few early Jones XRs that were pretty wide, but they have been much narrower since. I hope this Dry X is more consistent when it reaches production.

·
In FTF We Trust
1,815 Posts
Any follow up to this tire? I don't remember seeing much more about it after this initial post.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts