Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

41 - 60 of 3065 Posts

·
Registered
5,466 Posts
Putting good parts on a Walgoose is like hot-rodding an AMC Pacer. No matter what you put on it, it's still a Walgoose, it's still heavier than a bicycle has a right to be and it still has its inherent flaws, just with some shinier bits.
Now you are just getting carried away. You shouldn't really care what bike they are riding or how much they spent on it. Do what you want, and spend $$ on what makes you happy. Yes, it is a Wal Mart bike, and the stern opinions and feelings towards them is what drives the hate for the bike.

If your lbs had the exclusive rights to sell it, you would not hate it nearly as much. Not saying you wouldn't dispise it, but you wouldn't **** your pants with anger when you heard it's name mentioned.

·
bigger than you.
3,070 Posts
If my lbs started selling this kind of garbage, I'd find another lbs. At best, these bikes are poorly made to the point of being dangerous. I appreciate that they might serve as an entry point into fat biking, but they're so shabbily rendered, that in many, if not most cases, these bikes will be ridden a few times, then dismissed and abandoned as a pointless fad. As such they are more a disservice to our sport than a boon.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm def thinking about buying this, drilling out the wheels, upgrading crank/derailleur, and new stem and bars. I hope that its running a cassette but I know i'm just dreaming. I'd like to get it under 45lbs....think that's possible?

·
Registered
6 Posts
You can probably save 8-9 lbs. by just changing tires and tubes. With the other mods you've mentioned, the weight will likely be under 40. I believe it's a freewheel on the hub.

·
Perpetual n00b
1,785 Posts
Anyone pulled and weighed the cranks and BB yet? I bet there is a lot of weight to be saved there.

And before anyone lambasts me for upgrading a $200 bike, I have bins of parts that have long since been paid for.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'd probably be buying new parts but i figure it'll still be less than 500 total. I'm really surprised wal mart came out with a bike like this. The best part about it is you can actually upgrade things. I'm thinking bb7's some orgin8 fat bike tires, drilling the holes myself and maybe going tubeless. Should be interesting to say the least. I just can't justify spending thousands on a surly or salsa for a "fun" bike. Maybe if I had an unlimited income id splurge and get something like that.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Front brake started dragging. It was a quick adjustment to the caliper.
Front & rear discs are labeled 160 mm.

Dolo, rear brake.jpg

(orange cast is reflection from my coat)
Dolo, front brake.jpg

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Colour is nice.
Paint run just to right of center in the photo (top of down tube, very close to head tube, tucked in under the top tube). Otherwise, the paint is done nicely.

Dolo, colour, run.jpg

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
welcome

I figure it's important that anyone considering getting one of these knows what they're getting.

p.s.
I drive an AMC Eagle. The 258's been baked, re-centered, mild over-bore, balanced, wide-band high-torque cam, upgraded HO head, HD valve springs, upgraded carb, HV coil & ignition module, 8.8 silicone wires, large core rad. And a swamp-cooler for those long trips. :D

·
Registered
286 Posts
I can change the stem. I can't change my back.
I had back surgery back in '99 herniated disc so I doubt that your back is any worse than mine. I found that leaning forward over the bike makes my back feel better, not worse.
This set up that you have .. so much more straight upwards actually puts more stress (pounding) on the lower back going over a bump. I advise that you set the stem and bars properly and give it a try for about a month or more.

·
Registered
286 Posts
If my lbs started selling this kind of garbage, I'd find another lbs. At best, these bikes are poorly made to the point of being dangerous. I appreciate that they might serve as an entry point into fat biking, but they're so shabbily rendered, that in many, if not most cases, these bikes will be ridden a few times, then dismissed and abandoned as a pointless fad. As such they are more a disservice to our sport than a boon.
Yup ..

·
Registered
291 Posts
Some room to save weight for sure. But still just a hi ten steel frame and fork. Hit a few good jumps and that fork is done for. Also would be concerned with buckling at the top and down tubes and also at the brake side seat stay. Any gussets on there?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
kris7047th, Thanks for your suggestion, but my issue isn't a herniated disc, and the back is only one issue. Between the fat tires & sitting upright I can ride. Without them, two minutes is around the limit, and I pay afterwards.

41 - 60 of 3065 Posts