Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

301 - 320 of 3065 Posts

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Do you have a local walmart that you can return it too? You may be better off finding a nice used higher end fatbike. Most of us who mod these bikes do the work ourselves. Having to pay shop labor adds a lot of expense.

Let's just say for argument that you were going to spend roughly $400 in upgrades. Combine that with the $350 purchase price and you have spent more that a bikes direct fatbike. Don't get me wrong, I have had a lot of fun with the mongoose fat bikes, but there is a limit to what makes sense. Especially if you have one that is worse than average. Bent forks are a concern...

These bikes are not very consistent. I built 2 Dolomites for my buddies boys. One of them rides REALLY nice, the other just ok.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #302
We can't tell what's wrong with your bike. You have the opinion of the LBS.
You likely need to find someone to give you a second opinion on the condition of the bike, be it for returning to walmart, or warranty repair or replacement or to know its true condition for selling locally.

To have a department store bike with those defects is all too common, as your LBS will be very well aware. To have a Dolo with all those defects, apart form extreme shipping damage, this is a first. The lack of grease is common, hence the advice to get everything greased. The front hub or others not be torqued correctly is known to occur, hence those things get corrected as part of the adjustment necessary after greasing. I've built a few wheels, so I'm now 'pickier than thou", but both of my Dolo's wheels came perfectly trued and have stayed that way so I have no excuse to play with them. Although from reports it would be a real anomaly for a Dolo, it is possible for the wheels to be exactly as the LBS says.

> Should I get my money back from walmart?
You can try. But you've modified the bike, and it's been out of your control, so Walmart/Pacific will want to know when did the defects occur: during manufacture, shipping, assembly, at the LBS...
You might put the original parts back on it, and return it to your local walmart for a refund, simply citing the defects (but not things like "doesn't fit a 9 speed freewheel"). Don't complicate things by mentioning the LBS.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #303
... Let's just say for argument that you were going to spend roughly $400 in upgrades. Combine that with the $350 purchase price and you have spent more that a bikes direct fatbike. Don't get me wrong, I have had a lot of fun with the mongoose fat bikes, but there is a limit to what makes sense. Especially if you have one that is worse than average. Bent forks are a concern...
+1000 on this advice
One's needs have to match this bike stock (and with a few basics like greasing, by you, friend or an LBS) or with a few user upgrades like a different 7 speed freewheel, etc., or else the Dolo just is not the bike for you. Some limited upgrading is fun, if you know how and want to do the work yourself you can do it economically, otherwise economically it just doesn't make sense. If you want a lot of upgrades, there are better places to start from. Combine upgrading with not knowing much about bikes, that just isn't going to work for you.

·
Registered
520 Posts
To the above trying to get his dolo upgraded..
I like that you are trying to upgrade your bike and make it your own, but your expectations dont seem reasonable.
You should consider yourself lucky that the lbs did not perform everything you asked, because you would have spent a fortune.
This Mongoose s a cool entry to fat bikes for people that will ride as is, or upgrade themselve from a parts bin. I recommend you look for a used Pugsley or something similar.
The bike shop did you a favor

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #306
Dolomite Gear Inches

I got curious about how to easily compare the various gear inch numbers I was calculating for the various chain-ring/freewheel combos.
So I charted the stock freewheel with the stock ring of 36T, then for 34T, 32T, 30T & 28T.
Then I added various 7 speed freewheels, including custom gear stacks, for the stock ring of 36T and a selection of 22T, 32T and 42T.

From the chart, you can see the improvement for either a 14-34T or a 13-34T 7-speed freewheel with the stock 36T or a 32T front. A meaningful improvement for the least work/cost.

You can also see the easier progression of the freewheel custom stacks, where a 28 is added to the xx-34T. Also shown, is subbing a 21 for the 20 on the 14-34T custom, or a 20 for the 19 on the 13-34T custom; makes for a smoother range, so if you've got the parts...

(now to see if it will load the chart...)

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #307
Well, the upload made it a little fuzzy, but at least it's readable.
Dolo Gear Inches, various cranks & freewheels -sm.jpg

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks to all for the advice about my bike. Walmart has agreed to take it as a return so I will just put the original parts back on and save for a better bike. Oh well, I tried. Again thank you.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #309
Good news!

For the money you paid for the Dolo, and the cost of the upgrades that you're fortunate the LBS didn't go ahead and do, you're awfully close to the low end of a "real" fat bike. One that likely already has one of everything you want, with perhaps swapping in a favorite bar or pedals down the road. There are even choices under $1,000, and a few options surprisingly near $500.

DO do some reading here on the forum well before you purchase so you understand what you will be getting. There are some threads covering bikes in the range you'd be looking. With some reading, you'll be able to understand what you can reasonably expect before you spend any money.

DO find an LBS who is already familiar with Fat Bikes.

http://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/moto-bikes-direct-fatbikes-875900-74.html
Save Up To 60% Off Fat Bikes and Fat Mountain Bicycles from bikesdirect.com FREE Ship 48 States
http://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/budget-fatbike-recommendations-901539.html
http://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/battle-cheap-fat-bikes-904837.html

Do some searching, do some reading.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Also shop around to your LBS shops. Some are fantastic, some not so much. Some are there because they love bikes.

Some are there because they sell fancy polo shirts, and when you walk into their stores they seem to size you up based on the thickness of your wallet. If your not a cardiac surgeon they have no time for you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Good news!

For the money you paid for the Dolo, and the cost of the upgrades that you're fortunate the LBS didn't go ahead and do, you're awfully close to the low end of a "real" fat bike. One that likely already has one of everything you want, with perhaps swapping in a favorite bar or pedals down the road. There are even choices under $1,000, and a few options surprisingly near $500.

DO do some reading here on the forum well before you purchase so you understand what you will be getting. There are some threads covering bikes in the range you'd be looking. With some reading, you'll be able to understand what you can reasonably expect before you spend any money.

DO find an LBS who is already familiar with Fat Bikes.

http://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/moto-bikes-direct-fatbikes-875900-74.html
Save Up To 60% Off Fat Bikes and Fat Mountain Bicycles from bikesdirect.com FREE Ship 48 States
http://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/budget-fatbike-recommendations-901539.html
http://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/battle-cheap-fat-bikes-904837.html

Do some searching, do some reading.
He ended up charging me $160 for Grips, bar/stem, and red platform pedals. ahhh I love bikes.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #312
... the cost of the upgrades that you're fortunate the LBS didn't go ahead and do...
He ended up charging me $160 for Grips, bar/stem, and red platform pedals. ahhh I love bikes.
Parts cost and the time of someone who knows what they're doing.
If we want the LBS to be around when you need them, expect to pay them enough that they can stay in business, and hopefully make a living wage.

Now imagine what the charge would be for a 9 speed rear, including a new hub that fits it (along with new spokes (they don't know the stock spokes so would be unlikely to roll them if they're long enough)), new derailer and a new shifter. Then for reliability and no service problems, new cables that they know. New brakes are straight forward, and they'd likely recommend new levers too (and their cables).

Now you start to see the benefit of something "off the shelf" that has one of everything you want.

While not as nice as a 9 speed rear, now you see why those of us with Dolos like that we can swap in a $10 to $15 7 speed freewheel with a greater range, a compatible shifter for $15, or a great bearing for the bottom bracket that's <$10. For those of us who like to tinker, have limited funds, or want to see how much can be done for as little cost as possible, it can be done. Just don't expect it to perform like a "real" fat bike (nor be safe for all of the same rides/conditions), nor experience the joy of riding a bike with great quality components. But you do get the Fat Fun...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello everybody. I tripped across this thread and registered. I've been mountain biking for a few years now. I just bought a Dolomite after seeing a picture of one. I picked it up at Academy for $250 - this thing is a bargain IMO. I spent the weekend riding it up and down the beach. Tonight I mount a better seat (OUCH!) and tear it down for the post-beach cleanup. I can't wait to hit the trails with it this weekend.

goose.jpg

·
Registered
1 Posts
What's up guys I also run in too this and I wanted at first to buy the beast but after some resource I wanted to get the dolomite it jest looked and had better upgrade from the beast so I looked online and found the lowest price and shipped to Cali and must say I'm very happy and looks dope but the seat was killing me lol I upgrade that quick lol and may do some mods but I wanted to ask you guys do you know we're I can find fenders for these bad boy or what other mods would you recommend and thanks in advance well talk soon I well post the link here hope this helps someone same money late.

Academy - Mongoose® Men's Dolomite 26" 7-Speed Fat Tire Bicycle

·
Registered
74 Posts
Stumbled upon the Dolomite on accident looking for 4 bikes for my family last weekend. Bought the wife and kids bikes and ordered a Dolo from blains. I'm very happy a fat bike exists at this price point. Ive got plenty of other hobbies(restoring an FJ40) that require my pocketbook.

Bike comes tomorrow. I stopped down at my lbs and bought the Mega Range freewheel and rapid fire shifter. looking forward to hitting the trails this weekend.

·
Registered
1 Posts
What's up guys I also run in too this and I wanted at first to buy the beast but after some resource I wanted to get the dolomite it jest looked and had better upgrade from the beast so I looked online and found the lowest price and shipped to Cali and must say I'm very happy and looks dope but the seat was killing me lol I upgrade that quick lol and may do some mods but I wanted to ask you guys do you know we're I can find fenders for these bad boy or what other mods would you recommend and thanks in advance well talk soon I well post the link here hope this helps someone same money late.

Academy - Mongoose® Men's Dolomite 26" 7-Speed Fat Tire Bicycle
Thanks mucho for the heads up. Ordered one, stay tuned for mods.

301 - 320 of 3065 Posts