Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:p
Ahh, so this weekends race brought us to Eldora Resort for the 2nd to last race of the MSC's. Prerode on Friday. I would say that the course was anti-climatic form the week before at Nationals. I've definately grown accustomed to the anaerobic mountian climbs of the last 5 or 6 races. Being that this was at a Ski Resort, I expected the same. What we found was more like Battle The Bear or Nathrop. There were 2 courses-Green and Red. My course, the Green, was a 5 mile loop done 3 times. It went somethin like this-
Leave the start, to a short .2 steep climb up a fireroad.(sweet just the type of thing I'm good at) leveled out to a quick left up 2 more short, relatively steep climbs. Ride out another mile to the tight right hand switchback, do the fast downhill thing through some singletrack, and repeat... Essentially, a Short Trackers Dream Course.
Not too bad, actually, now I was worried, because where I excel (climbing) is now a non-factor. The hard part was the fact that there were a ton of loose rocks scattered all over the course. The only technical was the 2 mud bogs and 10ft steep rock wall. Which if ya stayed left instead of straight up... no problems.
So here's race day. Do my morning ritual of breakfast and Cytovol and head over to the course. Meet up with Tony B from Pedal Mashers and start our warm ups. He tells me he's a little tight, and wants to do one more climb. OK... lesson learned NEVER believe a Texan. At the start line, 30-39 is the second wave. I line up far left, and the front pack hits the gas. Being that this is supposed to be my last race as a beginner, I'm thinkin' bring it! Let's do this Sport style. Fly, through the tight right hand turn and hit the gas on the hill climb. See my competitor (Paul Mar-the guy that beat me my 19sec at Blast The Mass) drop his chain, and I'm thinkin' go time! (sorry Paul) Crest the first hill, look back... WOW... 5 of us dropped a Grenade on the hill and the rest of the back was hurtin... Nice! Within the first 2 miles we even catch the 20-29 group. As I'm going down, I suddenly hear a bike behind me. Look back to see the familiar Blue/Black Jersey of Pedal Masher's Tony Benson. Wait a tic, he's 40-45... he started a minute behind... Didn't he tell me that he was feelin tight... NEVER EVER believe a texan :p All right, I grab his wheel, pass a guy that I had been stalkin for a while and the race is movin. I lost wheel contact with Tony at the Mud Bog, but was still within eyesight. Make it to the first lap in 25:39. 2 more to go and I'm feelin good. Take a few secs on the flat section to fuel up and hydrate. As I'm comin to the line, Chuck B yells.."get out of the 2nd ring ya panzy..." Nice... time to go again, hit the hill for the 2nd lap, and it's feelin like a no chain day!!! Cruise the hill section and work my way towards the downhill switchback... and then the grenade gets dropped on my bike...
I was in 2 in the front and 2 on the back to cruise a short hill after a tight left switchback. As I crest, I shift to the big ring up front, and double shift the rear to # 4. Problem, the rear didn't shift. Now I'm cross chained, and the whole thing locked up. Jump off the bike hopin to free the gears by hand... no luck the rear derailuer is completely extended, there's no slack whatsoever on the chain, tons of slack on my cables, and now my drivetrain is toast!!! I spend a few more minutes and then Paul from my class, Bill and Tom from 40-45(they started a minute behind) and the slew of people we dropped grenades on, on the first lap, start blowin by! Thanks to Bill and Tom for offerin help... my day was done.
:mad: I suddenly went from having a "No Chain day", and the comin out party to Sport Class, to my first DNF in 9 races, and the first non podium in an MSC race since May. I was crushed. Walked/coasted the 2 miles back to the start. As I come to the hill Tony B from Pedalmashers is cresting with no one behind. His race is complete, and his last race as a beginner is a huge win. I also see Tom and Bill crossing the start/finish for their 3rd lap, and they too finish 2nd and 3rd. I've been racin with those 3 guys all season, and we have been fortunate to have shared our respective podiums all season. Congrats to those 3 guys!
I came into the race knowing that all I needed to do was finish, and I would have the Beginner 30-34 Championship locked up. Instead I, DNF, and will most likely take 2nd by a mere 30 points if Chris B shows up at Keystone.
Before the grenade dropped on me, it was a stellar day. congrats to the guy who did win my class. Way to ride with a good time of 1:18. To Tony, Tom, and Bill from 40+, nice job. It's time for us to move up and suffer, and see it from the spectator seats as opposed to the podium. Mark Bockman finished with an impressive 4th in Sport 30-34. Looks like he's got a lock on an MSC Championship podium spot, and first for his age division for CO NORBA rankings! I'm fearin that class next year. I've got some serious training to do! Katrina Prill, our MOJO's singlespeeder, won the State Championships, and most likely the lock on the MSC Women's Division. That girl has a ton of heart, and can put the hurt on many, many riders.
It's been a cool first season. Lessons learned... After 9 races, I still don't know how to shift :eek: NEVER trust a Texan. ;) Not learned, but my wife rocks for supporting me all season. The cycling community brings out some really cool people! The views at the tops of the climbs, throughout the states are absolutely incredible. Man-o-man, I'm gonna miss standing on the podium. It's been a fun season. Time to do some rock climbing for a bit, and then start training for next season! :cool:
-Ocky

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Chain too short?

Bummer man! Sounds like another short-track Lakewood type race.... Anaerobic in a different, flat out sort of way (for me typically, anyhow).... I too had bike problems in the race down here, which wrecked a chance at doing well. No more tubes for me! 3 pinch flats, and a broken chain.

Was your chain jammed somewhere, or just too short, so as it shifted it locked everything up due to tension? I've found that when installing a new chain, I run it around the big ring and the big cog, and go to the nearest length link that leaves just a bit of slack...... then break the chain, install it through the derailleur and pop on the "master link" (SRAM). Never gets jammed due to tension..... although riding in the big.big combo is bad due to the crazy chain angles! None the less, suck for whatever reason it jammed up for you, sorry to hear about it.

Anyhow, looking forward to a 100% effort at Keystone in a few weeks. Any idea what the course is like there? And how were the reports of the longer Eldora course? So many questions, so little time..... great write up, I look forward to meeting you and hearing more reports!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The red pill (course)

The Sport and above course was just under a mile longerwith a steep climb at mile 2 that we didn't have. Otherwise not much difference. There were definatelly some crashes on either course whether due to loose rocks or picking the wrong lines on the mud bogs, which would otherwise provide you with a fund handlebarflip into soft mud. Did see a broken nose, and some scratched up knees from some falls on the rock.
Interesting that you mentioned my chain. A few months ago, the mechanic took a link out because it was "too long." Same shop, different mechaninc says, "...man I think your chain is too short." Arrgh :mad: Oh well, Like I said, after 9 races I still don't know how to shift ;)
Keystone, Keystone, Keystone... having a slight problem with the wife and Kestone. Her cousin, who was a bridesmaid in our wedding, is getting married on that Saturday. Who gets married on a holiday weekend!? :mad: So her wedding is at 6pm in Sacramento. In the last week or so, I have been desparately trying to find a 1030 pm flight out of Sac straight to DIA and then catch the shuttle to Keystone. Problem is, the airlines want a few hundred bucks for the change. So I'm working on it! In any case, I am preparing myself for the pain of Sport at Keystone! Looks like Bockman is in contention for top 2 if not the top spot. I am also strongly considering Mammoth Championships as I got the approval last night.
Decisions, decisions. So do tell with your race report. If I can afford it, I would love to get some Crossmax Tubeless for next year. Lightweight, and no flats. All be it I lucked out and haven't had any this year. There's an interesting question--- Upgrade to FSA Carbon Cranks or upgrate to MAVIC Crossmax UST's. If you could only pick one?
-Ocky

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
OdaNelli said:
Upgrade to FSA Carbon Cranks or upgrate to MAVIC Crossmax UST's. If you could only pick one?
-Ocky
Wheelset, in a minute!

The top of the line crossmax wheels for rim brakes are sweet; stiff, light and strong! Keep in mind you can mount regular tires on 'em too..... save a lot of weight!

As for Keystone, sounds rough! Late night flight and so on, then race the next day? Ouch! If you can though, it'd be cool. Otherwise, put the added airfare $$$ in the wheelset account!

·
Preemptive Revenger
867 Posts
...an alternative to Keystone...

...would be "King of the Rockies" at Winter Park next Sunday...you could try sport there instead of at Keystone...

·
trail waggler
1,425 Posts
If that happens again...

Just drop the wheel out of the dropout (alittle quicker with disc brakes), and you can free up your driveline.

Sorry to hear about your mechanical :( Did they have a DH race?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good news, bad news...

Good news... I figured that out.
Bad news, ... after it was too late.

The DH/MX race was cancelled a little over a month ago. Evidently EXCEL eas putting in new lines and the trails were still in disrepair. I suspect that is why our course was mostly on NORDIC trails as opposed to going all the way up and around the mountain.
Ces la vie

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.