Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy just got an 04 heckler with 5th element. Compared to my 03, his shock spring seems significantly longer by maybe by about 1 inch. The shock itself seems about the same, its the spring that seems longer. You can easily tell by where the spring sits on the shock. Another difference is his rebound adjustment is a knob that can be turned with your finger vs mine rebound adjuster which requires a allen wrench.

Anyway, his setup seems much more plush than mine with more "usable" travel and a faster rebound. My rebound is pretty slow even with on the lowest position. Anyone know why the difference in shock spring lengths for the 03 and 04? If I put a longer spring on my shock ( Mine spring is currently 300 lbsx 2 inches) will it work better?

Before everyone goes off on my shock settings not being correct, I've followed both SC and Progressives instructions (which differ- progessive says use a heavier spring for my weight) and switched between both a 375 and 300 spring. My friend's spring is also a 300lb but I'm not sure the length.

·
Registered
162 Posts
longer stroke...

sometime in June (?) they changed the shock spec. from:

2.0" stroke / 7.88 eye to eye / 4.85" free length spring / 5" of travel

to:

2.25" stroke / 7.88 eye to eye / 5.25" free length spring / 5.6" of travel

·
Registered
441 Posts
Are you kidding?? :confused: I just ordered the Heckler and that would be nice... :)

EDIT: He was not kidding... :) I recived an answer from SC:

Hello Kristian

The shock did change from a 2.0 to 2.25 stroke.
Your polished Heckler will have the new shock on it.
The frame without shock is 5.66 lbs.
Hope you will enjoy your new ride.

Regards
-----

·
Registered
359 Posts
think they chooched me

got my 04 heckler frame the last week of june and it has the 300 x 2.0 spring, W.T.F. sent SC a e-mail today, hopefully they can justify. my shock doesnt even match the spec sheet included with the frame.

·
err, 27.5+
4,928 Posts
staz said:
got my 04 heckler frame the last week of june and it has the 300 x 2.0 spring, W.T.F. sent SC a e-mail today, hopefully they can justify. my shock doesnt even match the spec sheet included with the frame.
I am not sure if it is across the boards. The 5.75" travel might be an option. I got my Heckler about a month ago and had the option to wait for the 2.25" stroke shocks to get back in stock. I didn't want/need the extra travel, so I stayed with the 2" stroke.

·
gainlessly unemployed
246 Posts
dsb1829 said:
I am not sure if it is across the boards. The 5.75" travel might be an option. I got my Heckler about a month ago and had the option to wait for the 2.25" stroke shocks to get back in stock. I didn't want/need the extra travel, so I stayed with the 2" stroke.
Was there any redesign between the '03 and the '04 other then a longer stroke? Frame? Swing arm?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.