Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
7 Posts
Here is the story from KSL. Crazy
http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=148&sid=3025799

A historic bridge on state Route 128 near the Colorado River has burned down.

Grand County police say a boy playing with matches on Sunday caused the fire. They say he started a brush fire at a campground that moved up the riverbank and destroyed Dewey Bridge.

The suspension bridge was listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It was built in 1916 and was the state's longest bridge without supports in the waterway it crossed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This is very sad. I'm from SE Utah. I took a photo of my wife on that bridge two years ago. I'm glad I have a record of being there.

I first drove across Dewey Bridge in 1980, when it was still the only way to cross the river. What a great loss to the local history.

skez, your photos are very dramatic. Thank you for your contribution. You may be the only one to have recorded it for others to see.

·
Rolling
11,119 Posts
I hate to make light of the tragedy, but you could have sold those pix to the news for good money. Those are great photojournalism photos.

It's a bummer.

Gonna be really hard crossing the river now when doing the kokopelli trail..;)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.