Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A warning for those who purchase from The Death Projects, don't expect any after sale help or responses if something is not right. The short is, I ordered a Manitou Mezzer fork and Mara shock. When I received them, I found out that Manitou makes two models of Mara, a regular and Pro, I received the regular, I wanted the Pro. So there is no confusion here is the correspondence I had with Vince:

January 26:

"Vince,

The good news is everything showed up well. The bad news is it never dawned on me that there was a Mara and a Mara Pro and of course not saying so, I ordered the wrong one (wanted the pro). Is the pro available and what would it cost to exchange (understanding there may be a restocking fee).

Thanks,

Cary
"

Same Day:

"Cary!

Yes. They have a pro LOL. However… They are currently out of stock till, May! Maybe sooner? But… I’m actually looking to pick up one for myself but looks like I’m gonna have to wait. So maybe use that one for now and I’ll get you a good deal on a pro when they come out?
"

January 27:

"I would rather hold off as I have the DPX I can run until then. Ughh, I should know there are two models, but why have the same name for two different products? I can gladly pay a restocking fee as it is my error.

Cary
"

Receiving no response, on February 14th I sent a follow up:

"Vince,

Following up on this.

Cary
"

Still no response. Yesterday (February 19th), I took matters into my own hands and mailed the shock back (which I will note was delivered without a box or any other packaging). This morning (February 20th), I disputed the value of the shock on my credit card and sent Vince the following:

"Vince,

As I have followed up multiple times and not received a response, I have taken my own action. I have mailed the shock back, FedEx tracking No. 7839 1611 XXXX and placed a dispute with my credit card company in the amount of $349.

Cary
"

I received a prompt response from Vince once I sent this email as follows:

"If you look at my website it clearly states that I do not take returns because you should know what you buy. So regardless, if you want to go that route then I will send them a link to my website"

As his statements are not true, I responded:

"Vince,

Thank you for finally responding. A few things:

1) Your website says nothing about returns. Please find attached a printout of the "Terms and Conditions".
2) I did not order from your website, I ordered from you by email. Your invoice states nothing about returns or conditions. Under California law, which is where you made the transaction, you are required to make it abundantly clear if you do not accept returns.
3) I inquired several times about this, this is the first time you have mentioned your "no returns policy".

It is really a shame that this is how you want to do business. Not only are you not responsive, but as you have clearly just demonstrated, you will also lie as convenient to you.

Truly,

Cary
"

As you can see, The Death Projects Terms and Conditions are blank. If you want to do business with Vince, have at it, but be forewarned, if you have an issue, you are on your own.

·
Registered
9,439 Posts
A warning for those who purchase from The Death Projects, don't expect any after sale help or responses if something is not right. The short is, I ordered a Manitou Mezzer fork and Mara shock. When I received them, I found out that Manitou makes two models of Mara, a regular and Pro, I received the regular, I wanted the Pro. So there is no confusion here is the correspondence I had with Vince:

January 26:

"Vince,

The good news is everything showed up well. The bad news is it never dawned on me that there was a Mara and a Mara Pro and of course not saying so, I ordered the wrong one (wanted the pro). Is the pro available and what would it cost to exchange (understanding there may be a restocking fee).

Thanks,

Cary
"

Same Day:

"Cary!

Yes. They have a pro LOL. However… They are currently out of stock till, May! Maybe sooner? But… I’m actually looking to pick up one for myself but looks like I’m gonna have to wait. So maybe use that one for now and I’ll get you a good deal on a pro when they come out?
"

January 27:

"I would rather hold off as I have the DPX I can run until then. Ughh, I should know there are two models, but why have the same name for two different products? I can gladly pay a restocking fee as it is my error.

Cary
"

Receiving no response, on February 14th I sent a follow up:

"Vince,

Following up on this.

Cary
"

Still no response. Yesterday (February 19th), I took matters into my own hands and mailed the shock back (which I will note was delivered without a box or any other packaging). This morning (February 20th), I disputed the value of the shock on my credit card and sent Vince the following:

"Vince,

As I have followed up multiple times and not received a response, I have taken my own action. I have mailed the shock back, FedEx tracking No. 7839 1611 XXXX and placed a dispute with my credit card company in the amount of $349.

Cary
"

I received a prompt response from Vince once I sent this email as follows:

"If you look at my website it clearly states that I do not take returns because you should know what you buy. So regardless, if you want to go that route then I will send them a link to my website"

As his statements are not true, I responded:

"Vince,

Thank you for finally responding. A few things:

1) Your website says nothing about returns. Please find attached a printout of the "Terms and Conditions".
2) I did not order from your website, I ordered from you by email. Your invoice states nothing about returns or conditions. Under California law, which is where you made the transaction, you are required to make it abundantly clear if you do not accept returns.
3) I inquired several times about this, this is the first time you have mentioned your "no returns policy".

It is really a shame that this is how you want to do business. Not only are you not responsive, but as you have clearly just demonstrated, you will also lie as convenient to you.

Truly,

Cary
"

As you can see, The Death Projects Terms and Conditions are blank. If you want to do business with Vince, have at it, but be forewarned, if you have an issue, you are on your own.

View attachment 1917145

Unfortunate - and I was just about to reach out to death projects for a new fork.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,020 Posts
So the name "death project" wasn't enough of a warning?

·
Premium Member
5,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So the name "death project" wasn't enough of a warning?
Yea, but he had a Mezzer and others had had good experiences. At least its not like Larry at Mountain High who was great, the just took off with a bunch of people’s money. I still wonder what happened with him, have to think drugs.

·
Your bike sucks
2,121 Posts
Is that what happened to Larry? Man, that's going back. Sorry to hear that. Best of luck with your fork but at least, well, you have a fork.

·
Registered
9,439 Posts
Yea, but he had a Mezzer and others had had good experiences. At least its not like Larry at Mountain High who was great, the just took off with a bunch of people’s money. I still wonder what happened with him, have to think drugs.
Huh I had a photo of an old Turner of mine that I acquired from Larry and it got me thinking about what happened to him.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts