Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
www.derbyrims.com
6,766 Posts
Chain probably was too short for the gear it was in when it happened.

When the suspension compresses, the distance from crank to axle grows, but the chain doesn't. When the derailleur cage can't take up any more slack the derailleur cage bends inward... catching a spoke and bang! Derailleur is sucked by the wheel.

·
www.derbyrims.com
6,766 Posts
The short cage with one ring does gives better chain tension for less slap or chain drop.

The real problem is too short of a chain. The forever recommended chain length, big to big gears plus 2 links when travel is bottomed, cage length doesn't matter, is to ensure the posted problem doesn't occur by accidentally being in the wrong gear.

·
Roll on Spring Time!
1,547 Posts
But if the chain was too short it would surely only be an issue if the the OP was in the lowest gear on the cassette? I have made my chain too short before but it was SS. I would think if the chain was too short and you were in the middle of the cassette then no biggy. I am sure the OP was not hitting stuff in the lowest gear?? When climbing it is unlikely to use full travel. Not that I am recommending making the chain shorter than it should be.

·
Registered
147 Posts
i have done this but not for any of the reasons above. I did the same thing with an X0 and DT wheel. Check the L limit screw and see if the black plastic insert is still there. Mine was gone and it allowed the der to drop into the spokes. 10 spokes, 3 pieces of der and broken hanger...no fun, but SRAM replaced mine for free thanks to my lbs

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.