Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Retro Grouch
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back in the days before splined Shimano Bottom Brackets square taper was pretty much your best choice for road and MTB. I'm sure many have never heard of a Shimano UN-90. The UN-90 was the Durace/XTR of Square Taper BB. Still the best sealed Bottom Bracket ever made and considered almost a lifetime investments on a road bike. Well my fixie has been creaking and it was getting worse. No, it couldn't be I thought. I repacked the wheel bearings but it only got worse. So finally I pulled it off and no, no; yes, it was trashed. I checked the WEB, but no good; UN-90's have gone the way of Bontrager frames and WTB dirt drops. Okay, okay, I know there are lots of good BB out there and I ended up with a Race Face Taperlock, and it's silly, but it will be missed.

Attachments

·
Retro Grouch
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I hate you!

BikeMojo said:
I found one at my LBS a couple of months ago. I picked it up for $20 because it was old and they wanted to get rid of it.
Okay not really, (as long as it wasn't a 68X107) :rolleyes: .

1G1G, Brad

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Back in the days before Shimano cartridge bottom brackets, loose ball cup and separate spindle BBs ruled the roost. Rebuildable, adjustable, lots of spindle lengths to fine-tune your chainline and they lasted (at least if I "zerked" them).

But the one BB that was considered the best of the best and a lifetime investment was (and still is) Phil Wood. Sealed bearings in a "cartridge."

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
I just checked the Quality Bike Products website (QBP, a group that many bike shops order parts from). They still have bunches of the XT version in various sizes. I know it's not what you had but hey, it's close.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I just installed my first cup and cone BB - an NOS shimano Sante from the mid-80s (?) ...on my fixed gear it's awesome ! Very smooth, adjustable etc. Also picked up a BB-7400 Dura-Ace cup and cone - 112mm.

- Joel

·
Category Winner
6,130 Posts
Cup and cone

My work bike has had the same BB for five years(and I bought the bike used). I only took it apart once and the grease still looked new. This bike sees use more than five days a week and sits in the rain. It has never made a noise.
I never had too much luck with square taper on my MTB. Maybe it was the cranks, but the just didn't seem to like to be removed too many times.
Aesthetically, square taper has a place in my heart.

I forgot to add something. My work bike does have these nifty drain holes in the bottom of the BB shell. Is that the reason for its longevity? I have no idea.

Attachments

·
Less yappin, more Brappin
789 Posts
un-90/91 ruled!

i am sad that I sold mine long ago, before I even considered keeping parts because the New siht was supposed to be so much better. mine always spun smooth, even after being punished singlespeeding and jumping. they just dont make em like this anymore. unless, that is, you get a Phil Wood. I should know, I used to work there long ago.

·
Retro Grouch
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Used at my LBS

the Inbred said:
where'd you find a Taperlock? i was looking for one, couldn't find one, and will instead be going with a Phil.
Someone brought it in to be rebuilt and never came back. Picked it up for $20. There is still a used one on Ebay if you hurry. ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.