Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
"Coffee is for closers."
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I'd share my experience today on my new ride. I'm a long-time rider, 15+ years on all sorts of geared bikes. I've been riding singlespeed for over a year and it has completely changed me as rider. You'all know what I mean; faster, stronger, more fun, all the good things that happen from riding a one-speed. I ride in Arizona, primarily on Desert Classic in the South Mountain region, so a SS is perfect. I have one bike, and it fits my needs the vast majority of the time. My only issue is that when I do the occasional race, and the singlespeeders are often put into the pro category, or when I want to ride a real technical trail with brutal climbs, the one-gear is, um, difficult. Soooo, I bought a new frame recently, Vassago Jabberwocky, with the intention of building a 1x9 with an option to do a quick SS conversion when the need arises. I finished the build today, and went out for a hour or so. I like the bike alot, but was actually feeling guilty for spinning in shorter gears. I did the last half of the ride in the tallest gear I could push just to quell the weird uneasiness. Honestly, riding the sweetest build I've ever had and I could hardly enjoy it for the feeling of betrayal to the SS mojo. Am I crazy or what?

·
Freezer
588 Posts
I too have strayed from the SS path, and am building a 1x9 for rides with varied terrain. I do, however, plan to wear a hair shirt as penance...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.