Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Back on the wagon
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the cranks, Louis! And I don't want to hear sh*t about those socks. If the feet are warm, I'm happy :D Man I can't wait to take that thing out tomorrow!!!!

·
Back on the wagon
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah, suresh and I got out there last tuesday night. It was nice. I'm sure after the monsoon we had this weekend it is going to be a mud pit for a while, though. The ground was still pretty damp, if not wet, last week. All this rain will only make it swampy all over again.

·
Black Lion
4,431 Posts
PutAwayWet said:
yeah, suresh and I got out there last tuesday night. It was nice. I'm sure after the monsoon we had this weekend it is going to be a mud pit for a while, though. The ground was still pretty damp, if not wet, last week. All this rain will only make it swampy all over again.
Mud pit, for sure.
Let me know when it will be good (conditions and time wise) to come up and ride Ft. Rock with yall. I gots the itch for some rock!

Greg

·
Back on the wagon
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Took her out on her first real ride

Spent 3+ hours out at Ft. Rock. HOLY SH*T! I might have just fallen in love with mountain biking all over again. Sure, there were spots I couldnt make it up (the immediate first section coming back from the culvert is the only one I can think of right now) but for the most part, I actually rode the tech stuff better than I usually do on the gearie. Don't ask me to explain it, I don't know how. All I know is I was smoking everyone I rode with (some guys I met out there) on the hills, and I never once thought about anything but the trail in front of me. Pure? Hell yeah. Fun? F*ck yeah!

My only complaint is the sore back today. I was cranking so hard on hills that I had to pull down on the handlebars to keep me on the bike. That and the fork is rigid. I need to ride it a couple more times before I decide if I need a fork or not still, but for the most part I loved the rigid until the last 45 min or so of the ride. The feel and tracking of a rigid fork are incredible. I rode that tight section of singletrack (you know the fast one between the housing development and the snowmobile trail that greg always shoulders that tree on?) so fast it was incredible! I also need to widen my bars a bit, and I've got some wider risers coming. I think that will help out a bit with the steering, which was kind of odd since my stem is too long (got a shorter one of those coming too).

Traction...those 2.4's are like having a cog for a wheel and a chain for a trail. Grip like a professional fluffer. Mess like one too, man do they throw mud.

All in all I gotta say I made the right decision getting that SS. Can't wait to ride it with y'all!

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Nice Jason, I still have a lot of parts to collect for the Soma. For now I settle for the rigid Fetish. Did you go with a square taper crank/bottom bracket? I am wishing I had based on the experience with the Fetish, lot's of climbing in the Minks and lots of creaking with the Isis set up.

·
Back on the wagon
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
minkhiller said:
Nice Jason, I still have a lot of parts to collect for the Soma. For now I settle for the rigid Fetish. Did you go with a square taper crank/bottom bracket? I am wishing I had based on the experience with the Fetish, lot's of climbing in the Minks and lots of creaking with the Isis set up.
So far I like the square. I've never owned a BB that didn't creak at some point, which makes me think the problem is more in the chainring bolts or crank bolts than in the BB. Of course, all the ISIS ones I toasted creaked before they started screaming...

·
Back on the wagon
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yogreg said:
Mud pit, for sure.
Let me know when it will be good (conditions and time wise) to come up and ride Ft. Rock with yall. I gots the itch for some rock!

Greg
It looks like it's supposed to be a decent week. I'm thinking of heading out to Ft. Rock either tuesday or wednesday... Can you make it? Everyone's invited!

·
Back on the wagon
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sh*t. I just remembered I have a meeting on wed. afternoon. Can you guys do it at 5:15? That still gives us 2+ hours.... I'll try and move my meeting up a bit, let you know tomorrow for sure.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.