Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
81 - 100 of 821 Posts

·
clunker
248 Posts
Lookin good Scotty, nice front hub and pedals too! Get some canti posts brazed on, that would really do the trick. If my Iggy were not so mint I would be fixin' it up too - need to find me a beater :D

·
Registered
936 Posts
Thanks. I actually have some clamp on cantis but I didn't want to mark up the frame. I put an old schwinn neck on there as well. I really do not like the Nexus system, mainly because you can't replace the shifter, so this is probably destined to become a single speed. I could go the derailleur route I guess.

·
clunker
248 Posts
You can swap with other shifters...as long as they have the Nexus indexing. Looks like a later revo unit on there, they came with the thumb units originally. The roller brake is fun too :D

·
Registered
936 Posts
That is the original shifter. Some came with the thumb and some came with the twist. What I wanted to use was an old friction shifter.

·
Mtn Biker Machinist
1,293 Posts
clamp on canti's

Do you have any pics of the clamp on canti's? I am thinking about machining some clamps for canti bosses for a clunker project I am working on. Thanks

frog

·
Bird watcher
878 Posts
Repack Rider said:
Clamp-on cantilevers would be a bad solution. They make more sense on a flat fork blade than a round one, and they would look strange. Go with one sort or another of brazed on brakes, or a drum for a total klunker look.
I agree 100%

·
Registered
936 Posts
Clamp on cantis

Here is my clunker project with the clamp on cantis. No, I guess they are not era correct, but they do look easy to fabricate and you can remove them and put them on a different bike.

Attachments

·
Old School
1,039 Posts
ScottyMTB said:
Here is my clunker project with the clamp on cantis. No, I guess they are not era correct, but they do look easy to fabricate and you can remove them and put them on a different bike.
That is one cool bike but...

those twist ties are killin' me:D

·
Registered
117 Posts
Interestead in selling your Nexus?

ScottyMTB said:
Thanks. I actually have some clamp on cantis but I didn't want to mark up the frame. I put an old schwinn neck on there as well. I really do not like the Nexus system, mainly because you can't replace the shifter, so this is probably destined to become a single speed. I could go the derailleur route I guess.
Are you interestead in selling your NEXUS? Let me know.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Although late models by comparison, here's our crusiers:

Mine, 2001 Electra Flying Sue with a Brooks leather mud flap, Cat Eye lights, aftermarket saddle with chrome halo, analog speedo, red dice valve caps, and bell.

The Wife's 2007 Manhattan Pink, modded with a Nexus 3spd. w/white cable casing, Brooks leather mud flap, white skull and cross bone valve caps, and bell.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Nike Pics

Is that your antique store? Those are nice pics, they have sort of a country feel. Nice bikes too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
ScottyMTB said:
Is that your antique store? Those are nice pics, they have sort of a country feel. Nice bikes too.

No I'm sorry they're not, we live in the 2nd oldest town in Texas (Bastrop), this is the historic downtown district, occasionally we'll load up the cruisers and haul them out there for a nice little cruise through the historic nieghbourhood and downtown area and along the river walk (Colorado river).

So this time out I figured I take along the camera and see if I could get some semi retro looking pics, and some others along with them, although the others are some love bird kinda pics :p

The 2nd pic is a little antique shop with a 3spd Schwinn parked in the shrubs, and a no name cruiser (green/white one) on the porch, the other shop with the bike hanging, is also a no name bike with steel saddle baskets attached to it.

We love our bikes, and love the old school cruisers, currently I have accumulated a Raleigh 3spd Sport, that's getting ready for restoration, not really what I prefer, but hey, it's nice to keep the history alive :thumbsup:

Jeff

·
Registered
936 Posts
I think you achieved what you were going after. I used to have some "garden art" bikes in my yard, but my neighbor, who restores fat tire bikes, kept taking them.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Here is one of the many incarnations of my Damondback Voyager.

81 - 100 of 821 Posts