Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
SUBLIM8er
Joined
·
2,203 Posts
I rode the 29 crows today for the first time. It was like having a rocket. I was having a blast on my usual trail until I hit a rock garden way too fast for these tires. Long story short: I need to replace TWO ZTR rims.:madmax: :madman: My bad. Note to self: only ride Crows on smothish XC terrain. No rough stuff. This is not meant to be a bag on the Crows. I will definitely use them on my weekly local race course which, meets the above criteria. I can't wait to get my 26er set up with these for Chequamegon in Sept. These things are really fast and I was very pleased with grip, overall. Cornering felt superb.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,770 Posts
Axis II said:
I rode the 29 crows today for the first time. It was like having a rocket. I was having a blast on my usual trail until I hit a rock garden way too fast for these tires. Long story short: I need to replace TWO ZTR rims.:madmax: :madman: My bad. Note to self: only ride Crows on smothish XC terrain. No rough stuff. This is not meant to be a bag on the Crows. I will definitely use them on my weekly local race course which, meets the above criteria. I can't wait to get my 26er set up with these for Chequamegon in Sept. These things are really fast and I was very pleased with grip, overall. Cornering felt superb.
just a short question: did you ever try the Nokian NBX light? that's the fastest MTB tire and has tons of grip as well. Stans tire may be great for smooth hardpack but it's a semislick and won't do good as soon as grip is needed. if you don't have sharp rocks and are looking for speed the Nokian should be on your list!

hey, was that the rims of your new Tune wheelset? ouch!!!
 

·
Cassoulet forever !
Joined
·
2,260 Posts
nino said:
just a short question: did you ever try the Nokian NBX light? that's the fastest MTB tire and has tons of grip as well. Stans tire may be great for smooth hardpack but it's a semislick and won't do good as soon as grip is needed. if you don't have sharp rocks and are looking for speed the Nokian should be on your list!

hey, was that the rims of your new Tune wheelset? ouch!!!
Nokian do not exist in 29", nino....
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,770 Posts
20.100 FR said:
Nokian do not exist in 29", nino....
well - with Nokians mounted you don't need any 29";)
 

·
SUBLIM8er
Joined
·
2,203 Posts
No worries about the new Tune wheelset. It's safely in my garage awaiting it's line in the new Voodoo build. I'm still waiting for some odds and ends to show up for my geared WW build. Nino, you know how I feel about the Nokians. Why are you trying to bait me?:D Ok though, you asked for it: The Crows (26er) are lighter then the Nokians, they prolly have a lower rolling resistance (IMO,) are stronger on the rocks- no ripping out, have a ZTR specific bead that allows you you run VERY low air pressure without burping and they grip really well for me. I was a fool for running them on the course I rode yesterday but hey, live and learn. If I wasn't having so much fun on them and riding faster then I usually do then I would have picked a better line through that rock garden and all would be good. Curiously, the tires are fine after the catastrophy. Only the rims were destroyed. Go figure. It says something for the ZTR's system for avoiding pinch flats, though. That reminds me: I gotta have WaltWorks drop-ship two 29er ZTR rims to my wheel builder.
BTW, Nino: get a 29er already! The Crows in 29er are LIGHT ca. 500g. This is a very fast wheel platform w/a ZTR build and would be perfect for the terrain you ride w/few rocks. You will find yourself railing the corners at speeds you only dreamed of before.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,770 Posts
question...

Axis II said:
No worries about the new Tune wheelset. It's safely in my garage awaiting it's line in the new Voodoo build. I'm still waiting for some odds and ends to show up for my geared WW build. Nino, you know how I feel about the Nokians. Why are you trying to bait me?:D Ok though, you asked for it: The Crows (26er) are lighter then the Nokians, they prolly have a lower rolling resistance (IMO,) are stronger on the rocks- no ripping out, have a ZTR specific bead that allows you you run VERY low air pressure without burping and they grip really well for me. I was a fool for running them on the course I rode yesterday but hey, live and learn. If I wasn't having so much fun on them and riding faster then I usually do then I would have picked a better line through that rock garden and all would be good. Curiously, the tires are fine after the catastrophy. Only the rims were destroyed. Go figure. It says something for the ZTR's system for avoiding pinch flats, though. That reminds me: I gotta have WaltWorks drop-ship two 29er ZTR rims to my wheel builder.
BTW, Nino: get a 29er already! The Crows in 29er are LIGHT ca. 500g. This is a very fast wheel platform w/a ZTR build and would be perfect for the terrain you ride w/few rocks. You will find yourself railing the corners at speeds you only dreamed of before.
i know, i know;)

question - will those tires fit my 28" DT rims? i use regular 28" road rims on my winterbike...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
48,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
nino said:
i know, i know;)

question - will those tires fit my 28" DT rims? i use regular 28" road rims on my winterbike...
"29-inch" tires are just wide 700C tires. Bead diameter of 622mm, i.e. "regular" road rim diameter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,220 Posts
you destroyed

Axis II said:
I rode the 29 crows today for the first time. It was like having a rocket. I was having a blast on my usual trail until I hit a rock garden way too fast for these tires. Long story short: I need to replace TWO ZTR rims.:madmax: :madman: My bad. Note to self: only ride Crows on smothish XC terrain. No rough stuff. This is not meant to be a bag on the Crows. I will definitely use them on my weekly local race course which, meets the above criteria. I can't wait to get my 26er set up with these for Chequamegon in Sept. These things are really fast and I was very pleased with grip, overall. Cornering felt superb.
2 rims from going thru a rock garden? what pressure were you using and what exactly
happened?
 

·
SUBLIM8er
Joined
·
2,203 Posts
peabody said:
2 rims from going thru a rock garden? what pressure were you using and what exactly
happened?
It all happened so fast....I'm still in shock really but, I'll try and gather my strength to answer your question.:D It's simple really: I went way too fast into a rock garden that I know really well and lost my usual line. I was running like 30 lbs, I think. I started off running 20lbs but the tires just felt too squishy at my weight. Anyway, I ricocheted off a rock and into the hinterlands of rim devouring, baby-head sized rocks. Whoever build this particular garden set up a particularly evil-sharp, no, knife-edged rock off to one side. That's the one that my front wheel hit first after bouncing off of another rock and then down onto this one. Then, next came the back tire. I'm sorry, I can't talk about it any more......it's too painfull.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top