Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
PSYCHOLUST
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got back from a 2 hour ride through the RougeValley http://www.rougepark.com/

I'm lucky to have the park bordering my back yard.

Some of you may have heard about an unfortunate incident in Cape Bretton this fall in which a hiker was attacked by Coyotes and later died of her injuries. Coyote attacks are VERY rare. There are coyotes in the Rouge Valley, always have been, and you can see one from time to time while riding at dawn or dusk. Well the Parks Department decided to post warning signs at all the trail heads. Rather than hauling a posthole digger around and cutting and painting new posts...... They simply took down all the "NO BICYCLING" signs.

·
Self-defeatist
965 Posts
Agreed. That attack's the type of incident that gets play in the media. Last time I saw a coyote was at purple dawn in deepest winter under a full, fat moon. It was beautiful, but not at all newsworthy, apparently.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I know we have coyotes behind our house (large swampy area) due to a neighbor catching them on a game camera. But I've never actually seen one. Foxes yes. Coyotes, no.

They're not a threat to my 90-lb dog, but hopefully not a threat to some of the smaller neighborhood kids and/or dogs.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Whereabouts are you guys located at that have coyotes?

Running Big Creek last weekend in Alpharetta, GA was the first sign I've seen in GA warning bikers of coyotes and strictly prohibiting night rides out there.

·
PSYCHOLUST
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

I live just east of toronto, the Rouge River is actually the border between toronto and pickering.............HERE is where I live, drop by and we'll go for a ride

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
16,333 Posts
I live in Western Oregon but ride & camp in Central & Eastern Oregon quite a bit, where I see &/or hear coyote fairly regularly. When a pack of them get to howling / yipping at night, it can make for a very haunting experience.

--Sparty

·
Registered
6,543 Posts
slocaus said:
Central coastal California. I see them often.
I see them here on my local trails in San Jose, Ca. and I see them often, as well.

One time I was riding along and saw a dog and wondered "Who the hell has their dog off-leash?". It wasn't a dog!

I've seen them grab wild turkeys and carry them off while the thing was flapping for dear life and I've also seen pups in the dark when my riding lights went out.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Dion said:
I see them here on my local trails in San Jose, Ca. and I see them often, as well.

One time I was riding along and saw a dog and wondered "Who the hell has their dog off-leash?". It wasn't a dog!
My dogs are always off leash. MTB riding with a leashed dog sounds dangerous and just plain cruel. But then again I am not a crazy city kid I live in the mountains. I have regular coyotes around my house every day. They howl at night and pounce on the rabbits in the morning. Good for keeping the rodent population in check.

·
Registered
6,543 Posts
TahoeSS said:
My dogs are always off leash. MTB riding with a leashed dog sounds dangerous and just plain cruel.
It's the law where I ride. I have three dogs myself and choose not to take them MTB'ing due to the leash law - I run them alongside my beach cruiser with harnesses (well, the little one goes in the wife's cruiser basket).

·
I'm just messing with you
5,423 Posts
scyule said:
Well the Parks Department decided to post warning signs at all the trail heads. Rather than hauling a posthole digger around and cutting and painting new posts...... They simply took down all the "NO BICYCLING" signs.
So do you see that as a gift from the god of laziness, or as a sign the park service wants cyclists to be attacked by coyotes?

·
trail rat
7,825 Posts
fos'l said:
Sightings in socal have been infrequent for me unless I'm riding in an area near a fire station and the sirens sound as a truck rushes to an emergency. Then, the coyotes respond.
Coyote Song
I'm the voice of all the Wildest West, the Patti of the Plains;
I'm a wild Wagnerian opera of diabolic strains;
I'm a roaring, ranting orchestra with lunatics becrammed;
I'm a vocalized tornado - I'm the shrieking of the damned.

by Ernest Thompson - Seton

·
PSYCHOLUST
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So do you see that as a gift from the god of laziness, or as a sign the park service wants cyclists to be attacked by coyotes?

This, my two wheeled brother is a great question.

I'm guessing, but I would think the god of laziness doesn't like singlespeeders or mountainbikers of any kind ( we do not bend to his will)
As for the parks service habouring ill will toward us............... maybe.

I was half expecting someone to bring up the fact that signs being removed doesn't change the by-law they were meant to uphold and I want to say that I understand that. BUT...........
Over the years I came to see the signage as amunition for the FEW who prefer to hate those who differ from them. Most dog walkers and hikers co-exist with cyclists beautifully and exchange a "hello" or a "beautiful day" with us as we yeild the trail of give their dogs a wide birth..... But the odd individual who somehow remains in a foul mood amid such glorious natural splendour, would make an ugly face and remind us
" THE SIGN SAYS NO BIKES!!!
So in my own perverse way I liked to imagine that the SIGNS were the real problem, not bikes.......

·
Registered
346 Posts
why did they put up new signs? coyotes cant read and if they could they are rebels and will still ride bicycles. we have coyotes by me and they are scared when i roll up on them. I have only been attacked by trees, rocks, and canadian geese. there is something very unsettling about this thread.

happy new year

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.