Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
solid gold plated
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was thinking to myself last night, about the varying cost of bikes, and how everyone a different idea of what "expensive" is, which got me onto thinking what is everyones reason for limiting the price of their purchase or infact having no limit.

obviously there is the first point of what people can afford themselves, but im looking more into the justification or reasoning as such, why is it some people feel £600 is enough when others feel the need to spend £6000+

i myself have what i would call a modest bike by the mtbr forum standards lol, and my friends reel when i tell them the cost, which infact is pretty reasonable i think considering the spec. But my justification is that i can afford it, it makes me happy, gives me some minor fitness benefits lol and it just gives me something to do, a healthy hobby :rolleyes:

so how does everyone else justify or reason the need for the cost of their bikes, to friends, family, and yourselves :thumbsup:

·
3 "fiddy" for short
2,739 Posts
Exercise
Fun factor
Quality of components
SANITY!!!!!!

When people ask me what I have into bikes at this point, I just tell them enough to keep me riding.;) When you think of the money that is tied up into your bike, armor, riding clothes, tools, maint. supplies, etc. you have more than a small fortune.

Is is just me, or do you guys get as excited about stuff like fork oil, good grease, good tools, ect as you do about other aspects of biking.:confused:

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Mountain bike riding is the one thing I really enjoy doing just for me. Give me a $600 bike component or bike any day instead of a $600 piece of jewelery. But I guess it's exactly that which brings on the guilt - you are essentially spending all this money just on yourself! When my husband buys stuff for the car it's different - because he has to keep it going and maintained for us all. Plus we all like to go camping & 4wding.

It's just something not mtb people don't understand particularly becasue in the mainstream bikes only cost about $100, and to most people a bike is just a bike. As we all know to us it's much much more than that, it is a bike but it gives us exercise, clears the head, pleasure in maintiaining it and keeping it working flawlessly, socializing if you go on group rides, challenges if you challenge yourself, your ability or go to races. And of course if yiou have a nice bike to you it's a real piece of beauty that you could stare at all day long, but not without your mind ticking over way to improve it or components you could upgrade.

I like to keep it realistic though - keeping in mind that I ride just for fun (excercise being the #1 benefit) and thus I don't need the best. I do get sucked in to the excitement and marketing hype of the lighter better components like everyone else, getting good and reliable components is like anything else - spend more now to not have to spend more later.

It's so easy to want the best in all respects but you know when you have the best bike with all the best bits on it I imagine you would get bored with it pretty quickly too - there's nothing mroe you can really tinker on or change. And there is always "the bike is better than me scenario".

In the end who cares, as long as you have a bike that works and you really enjoy riding it then to me that is all that's really important. For those who have money well my motto is to plan for the future but you have to have some fun now as well, money is only money the more you have the more you spend and if it's being spent on something that gives you alot of good times and pleasure then all the better.

I know what you're saying though - I have hayes soles on my bike at the moment and I would really like to upgrade before the pads wear out (so some time this year) and it's really hard to justify spending so much money on a set of brakes (looking a minimum of $400Au for F & R) namely a quarter of what I paid for my bike. It's not so much justifying it to my husband but I have to convince myself that I really need them first, and as long as the Soles are working well it's really hard to do. I did come from a poor background and we now live pretty comfortably in comparison.

·
solid gold plated
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
wow, quite the reply energetix, had to take 5 to read it hehe

you raise alot of points which i agree on, like how im not racing anyone so needing the best components isnt neccessary (but being a "big" bloke requires ones that last!), and also my bikes well beyond my capabilities, but i figure i use it as "motivation" to improve hehe :thumbsup:

i was also had an idea, and i wondered if it rang true for anyone.

would you say you spend alot of your cash on bikes etc, because you realise that you yourself have a "shelf life" with regards to how long you can continue riding? and because of this, do you justify going for the best you can while you can, a sorta no regrets when you old and increpid :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Personally I hope to be a grey old granny still riding around - even if it's pedalling really slowly on one of those granny bikes like you tend to see!

As far as what could happen down the track (drop off the pearch, go blind etc etc) all I can do is just thankful for what I have today and the things I'm able to do. You know like most people I probably don't think of the regrets untill after the fact and don't appreciate everything as much as I should - having a family I would probably be more likely to regret not spending more time with my kids instead of on these forums!
Alot of things in life are simply not in our control and I reckon mine has fallen into place pretty well so far, whatever happens it probably happens for some unkonwn reason.

No use living life in fear, but no one is completely fearless. Funny thing is that feeding the addiction called mtb could be the very thing that reduces your shelf life LOL.
I more so try to forget about the shelf life particularly if it's an unknown & just live life as I nomally would.

Hmm looks like a potential for another long post here, easy to get carried away on life motos!

·
solid gold plated
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
there are other things to consider as well, like at the moment at this time i dont have children, a mortgage, credit card or car loans to pay off, but i imagine when im older and have more responsibilities, i'm gonna struggle to come up with solid reasons as to why i simply must have the new fork, wheels or frame lol

·
Does your dog bite?
142 Posts
Most hobbies are expensive. I have $20K invested in my 85 Toyota 4WD that I take rock crawlin. I have thousands invested in snowboard gear + all the lift tickets I buy. Thousands of dollars of surf equipment. It's all relevant. I look at it as an investment towards my happiness and health. I'm a much better dad / husband after a good ride. I figure I'll spend the money on a bike instead of psychologist :)

·
Registered
108 Posts
Personally, mountain biking is a way of life, it is not a hobby or sport, but it is me. I ride to live and I live to ride. I work at a shop to fund my sled and keep my self alive. My major in college is Outdoor Recreation.

When an individual enjoy's something so much, that item will then become a way of life for the person. For myself and others, this is very true. You live for what you enjoy, seeking gratification from the area of interest.

That is all.

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
12,942 Posts
at 1 point in my life i drove a $300 car with a $6000 bike on the rack. before that i drove a $5000 race car and sold it thinkin id spend less on bikes and not have as much risk in my life. on this point i was very wrong. i figure ive got a easy 20k in bikes, parts and gear, maybe more like 30k, i dunno. ive had 3 substantial surguries and shoulda had 2 more not to mention the countless er/dr visits. theres another 40 or 50k before insurance.

i dont ride as hard or as much as id like and certainly not as much or as hard as most folks here but i do spend quite a chunk on bikes and the bits that go along with them. why? cuz put quite simply, it makes me happy and in the end thats all that matters.

cool thread.

·
Pixie Dust Addict
3,368 Posts
da_eddio said:
so how does everyone else justify or reason the need for the cost of their bikes, to friends, family, and yourselves :thumbsup:
It's one of my 2 vices, and if I have to have a vice (or 2) this seems to be better than most. The SO accepts it, and likes the benefits (e.g. I don't get as fat as I would if I didn't ride), and I get really cranky if I don't ride. I don't spend extra money on much else, and I work part-time at a shop to keep the outlay down.

·
BODYSNATCHER
287 Posts
What a dilemma

I have been researching and shopping for parts for my upgrade to a 5 Spot- gonna pull the trigger after I strip my Burner frame and trade it in to DT.

But I guess it's exactly that which brings on the guilt - you are essentially spending all this money just on yourself! When my husband buys stuff for the car it's different - because he has to keep it going and maintained for us all. Plus we all like to go camping & 4wding.
This is where I struggle as well. Most of the things my wife buys are for the family, although she has discovered golf in the last year, so she could relate on one level.
Riding is my only vice. No drinking, smoking, drugs- I find that riding out the back door and hitting the hills relaxes me and reinvigrates me. I also get cranky if I can't ride. It is a heathy addiction, and I hope I never get over it.
But, man, there is some serious cash going out all year long, and now this build kit for the new ride. I figure all the $ I pissed away over the years on drugs will never outstrip the coin I drop on MTBing.
Not to mention dropping from 245 # to 185# these days. No contest. None.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.