Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...and here you are, with such a vague title how could you resist. I'm starting this thread for two reasons; I'm bored at work, and I strongly dislike all current threads on the mtbr dj forum. so this thread will highlight the stuff I parts that I want and like. I'll try not to repeat stuff that has been posted before but I can't promise anything.

so here we go

g-sport front hub 20mm mtb mod:

So I read this on tonicfabs' blog a while back and though it was awesome. there are basically no companies making a brakeless front 20mm hub (except profile), so the
solution, modify your own.

g-sport conversion

NS fork:

while looking on BTI for a rigid fork I stumbled upon the new NS fork, looks pretty awesome/light/strong.

https://gewichtsfetischisten.de/english/index.php/2007/09/01/ns-bikes-rigid-fork-eurobike-2007/

Primo Stricker pedals:

Truth be told, I don't like many of the products that come out of primo. that is, everything besides their pedals and tires. the stricker pedals are just a update to the loved, tried, and true tenderizer pedals made to josh strickers' specs. what updates you might ask, they are lighter (they cut away some unneeded material), and a thinner profile. they still have the great concave shape and other loved design features of the orig tenderizer. the are available in mag or Al and sealed or loose ball.

https://www.albes.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2008

wtb street/dirt tires

Found these tires when checking out the new 08 jamis kromo (26in cromo single speed dj bike). I'm also not a big fan of WTB, I just don't usually see much innovation out of them, but the Graffiti series of tires offered me a pleasant surprise. they have the knobbie DJ tire, the UK, with flat knobs that look like they would grip in the corners nicely but roll great on street and park. while the SF looks to be a straight forward street tire. Id love to rock a sf rear and uk front to see how it works in practice. They look to be made with a nice sticky compound and will also be available in both folding and wire bead versions

WTB Graffiti uk (ultimate combat)
WTB Graffiti sf (street fighter)

solid bars:

solid is a bmx company that offers tons of no compromise products. They also have some unadvertised MTB offerings that can be viewed on here. they're bars are a straight forward cro-mo bar, with a 22.2 clamp dia, and are straight guage for the full length. I looked into these bars when needing a replacement for my awesome, yet, bent gusset open prison bars. on a side note: the gusset bars are great, have a 2 year warranty and are super light, but I took a few hard crashes on them and low and behold the light weight bars bent. back on topic, I couldn't find any info on the solid bars so I emailed solid and got (like everything else they do) a simple and straight forward answer.
"I still have some in black, clear and white. They are
2" rise, 12 degree back, 2 degree up. 7/8" all the
way and full cromoly. They are $40.
Aaron"

https://www.solidbmx.com/

fly cranks:

I've loved these cranks since they came out but there was a problem with the crank arm cracking at the pedal boss. according to fly, there was a problem with the first batch.

"What we were trying to say is that SOME of the cranks of the first batch had a not deep enough welding job on the pedal boss. When I said 1st. batch, I meant the first production. That was more than 1 YEAR AGO (after the shipping time, distributors received them on November 2006). But, once again, it only made broke about 7% of them. The next productions were ok."

I saw a few sets of these break in person but now that I know they are solid and still have a great warranty, maybe they'll be next on my list.

tree light splined sprocket:

Awesome engineering, I want it! thats all I have to say about that.

brake lever:

I only know of one company that makes a v-brake lever that I like, but I haven't gotten it yet. do you know of any lever that meet my requirements?

my requirements:
v-brake pull
two finger length lever or odyssey medium style lever
flat back of lever so that it doesn't cut into my knuckle

here is the only lever that I know of that fits that description
https://www.tektro.com/02products/13313a.php

nicks fork:

so I live in Chicago, and although I don't have any mountains to ride there are some perks. some of which include a bunch of awesome skate parks, DJ's in the city, awesome street, an awesome bmx scene, and Sram being based here. The last fact means that I get to see some awesome concoctions from guys who work there. Nick made this awesome argyle franken-fork.
basically here is a simplified parts list:
Argyle lowers
Pike uppers ( that means they are made of AL instead of steel IE: lighter weight)
Reba air u-turn internals ( that means light weight air plus 85mm-115mm adjustability)

sinister build of the week

so what do you think? discuss !

·
"Carpe Diem"
211 Posts
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: thumbs up for thread!!!
I was also a bit bored with these threads in urban/DJ/park forum but this is interesting. keep it going

p.s. just watch out for your boss, you don't want to get caught posting on mtbr instead of doing your job :madman:

peace,
Teo

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
If you're looking for a v-brake lever to be run with a bb7/bb5, I have run ODY's BMX levers with them, while certain styles made it feel a bit mushy, I never felt like I didnt have enough power. FYI, I've ran all styles ody monolever with a bb7 (short, long, medium, trigger), I have to say, the short felt the best. Trigger coming in last.

Anyhow, some people also will run the bb7 "road" caliper which was designed with a shorter cable throw (which is coincidentally what U brakes take as well), this allows them to use BMX levers with their bb7's without compromissing much lever feel. I myself have yet to feel one, or know of someone personally who has done this.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
nope I run v-brakes,

in the running for brake levers,

paul $45
that tektro i mentioned earlier $9

Here is something else that I thought might be nice to promote: interMTB

yes I'll come out and say it, " we NEED another social networking site". but this is a little different, interMTB is just for mountain bikers, post up rides, events, news, your bike, your pics. tell me if I'm wrong but It looks like a lot of riders from cali are on interMTB but it doesn't look like its used as much as it could be. I think its a good tool for mountain bikers to connect (time to get all warm and fuzzy)

so tell me what you think:
-do you know it
-do you use it
-do you hate it/love it/ or are you wholly indifferent

oh, and a link might be helpful http://intermtb.com/

·
"Carpe Diem"
211 Posts
interMTB, I don't realy like it but for sure I don't hate it, it's OK

cully your been uploading lately :D :D :D

·
Registered
853 Posts
cool info dude. I'l lcheck that website as soon as I've got the time to. Got tons of homework... The only thing I didnt realise was that the NS rigid fork was for 10mm axles...wtf is that about...But yeah seems pretty awsome for a rigid. 10mm is just not my thing though...

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
I set up a Road BB7 with a BMX lever for a friend. He says it didn't have any power... but he really didn't give it enough time to break in.

Paul levers are sweet, but just grab the Tektro. Cheapie. You won't feel bad when you bust it up.

Pike uppers also let you get the lower A2C height. There's less crown drop at the price of reduced downtube clearance (if that's a problem).

The G-sport mod is cool, I've seen a couple.

I didn't really like the tall profile of the Tenderizer pedals, the Strickers look to be money though.

I've seen the NS fork in the catalog, but haven't heard much else about it.

I'm not a fan of WTB tires... but their saddles work for me. The wheels are light and pretty burly too. Maybe I'll give the tires another go.

·
Don't Buy Nike's
977 Posts
whats everyone talking about with BMX leavers and disc brakes...

when i went singlespeed i chucked on a snafu c-leaver to use with my hayes mechs and i honestly dont feel any difference except one is smaller and nicer.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I was thinking of checking out Paul lever also. I just got a tektro from a pair I bought and it slips from time to time. Not to bad but probably the next thing I will pick up, or the nicer tektro.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have the stricker pedals and they are really nice... They are basically Super Tenderizers with some machining to lighten them up. They also redesigned the pins, these actually have allen heads and can be replaced. I got the unsealed aluminum version. Magnesium wears out too fast for me, and I wear out the cages well before the bearings. (most of the time) That is why I opted for the unsealed.

I was thinking of getting a Oddy Monolever too. I used them all the time on my 20" but haven't tried them with Discs.
I looked at the Paul lever, but I can't bring myslef to spend that on it when I know it is only a matter of time before I destroy it. I already bent my Avid FR-5 lever that came on my Xenia. It's still doing the job though, still can't make up my mind on a replacement...

This a good thread BTW. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
443 Posts
do you have to buy the solid bars directly from them or how else are they avaliable
do they make any other mtb parts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Nice Sinister! Do you not have a chain tensiner? How is that working out on the vert drop outs?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Formerbmx37 said:
do you have to buy the solid bars directly from them or how else are they avaliable do they make any other mtb parts
-The only mountain bike specific component I know they make are these handle bars
- I only know to get them directly from solid but any shop that deals with solid can probably order these from solid for you.
Solid does make some other parts that would be great on you MTB (but were originally designed for BMX)

Their stem is straight forward, light enough and solid (pardon the pun)

Their head set is the stuff of legends, with roller bearings and full cro-mo cups these things are strong, smooth, basically indestructible, and hard to come by due to a lawsuit from dia-comp regarding their " integrated locking upper mechanism ". but these can still be had through dans comp and presumably (as solid's site suggests) through them directly. Truth be told I would not really want to run a solid headset for the top and bottom. I think they make the perfect bottom cup, and another legand in the Headset market makes the perfect top cup, Chris King. so split the price with your friend, buy an extra bottom race for the solid and an extra top race for the king and you'll have the best headset in the world, In my humble opinion. if you haven't been forced to go integrated.

ETBA said:
I was thinking of getting a Oddy Monolever too. I used them all the time on my 20" but haven't tried them with Discs.
I looked at the Paul lever, but I can't bring myslef to spend that on it when I know it is only a matter of time before I destroy it.
bbrz4 said:
whats everyone talking about with BMX leavers and disc brakes...

when i went singlespeed i chucked on a snafu c-leaver to use with my hayes mechs and i honestly dont feel any difference except one is smaller and nicer.
I have the same feeling about the paul lever, too much bling. sadly I haven't gotten myself to try the v-brake bmx lever combo, but from every thing I've heard from years in bike shops and riding, the pull ratio is different for different brakes here is how I understand the split.
-bmx (990 style), canti, road

-mechanical disk, v-brake

there is also an adapter that was originally designed for using canti lever with v-brakes when v-brakes first came out, maybe this is something else that I could try with the bmx levers.

the adapter is called the travel agent, and while searching for it, I just found there is a inline version that may be the best solution for this application.

So there is my update for now, thanks for all the praise regarding this thread, and feel free to add any new products that are truly innovative to this thread.

Thanks,
Cully

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
-.---.- said:
that picture of the bike with the solid bars, does anyone have a clue what frame that is?
That's a Union-street Molly Maguire its 24" specific, 110 spacing, spanish bb, traditional headset, 990 style brakes

here's a link to the thread I saw that bike in

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=299171

I have the 26" version the Working Class Hero everything is the same except for 26" wheels and v brakes

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hey I don't have a lot of time so I just skimmed the reading. I caught on to something about V brakes and mushy brakes, something along those lines. There are two types of brake cables, one has stretch and the other has almost none. I don't remember what they are called, but I do know that they feel very different and are made specifically for V brakes or U brakes.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts