Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I guess to be acurate, I didnt prepare enough.

Ive rode Centinnel Cone enough to know its a longer ride, so eat enough and carry some food. I thought I would try the mayhem gulch entrance. 2 miles in I bonked, grrr. Eat my only energy bar, Not so bad, right? Just fight through it right? It only 15 more miles.......

I also got there late, I got to the parking lot at 12:00.

Did I mention it started to rain? Right after the stairs, thunder, lightening, rain. I was not having a goood time.

Well, got through it, you couldnt believe the motivation lighting gives you to get back to the car.

Still, riding the Cone is always a great ride. Even if I am an inprepared pansy..... :skep:

·
Bad Andy
877 Posts
canyonrat said:
There's a long ride at the Cone? Dang, I must have missed it...
He said longER (not long), and for some people 16-17 miles is a long ride. That's about the mileage if you do a lollipop from Mayhem.
The part that makes me curious is the bonking 2 miles in.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
andychrysler said:
He said longER (not long), and for some people 16-17 miles is a long ride. That's about the mileage if you do a lollipop from Mayhem.
The part that makes me curious is the bonking 2 miles in.
Didnt eat enough before the ride. Generally I eat breakfast 30 mins before leaving, again alittle at the trail head and whenver I rember during the ride. This time I at breakfast 2 hours before the ride and nothing at the th.

·
Registered
938 Posts
xblazermnx said:
Ive rode Centinnel Cone enough to know its a longer ride, so eat enough and carry some food. I thought I would try the mayhem gulch entrance. 2 miles in I bonked, grrr. Eat my only energy bar, Not so bad, right? Just fight through it right? It only 15 more miles.......
You bonked 2 miles in? How the hell did that happen? Forget to eat for the past 2 days or something?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I guess that brings up a good question, what does everybody do to keep the energy up and even throughout the entire ride? I still consider myself a noob and could stand to learn alot.

·
bacon! bacon! bacon!
12,453 Posts
xblazermnx said:
Didnt eat enough before the ride. Generally I eat breakfast 30 mins before leaving, again alittle at the trail head and whenver I rember during the ride. This time I at breakfast 2 hours before the ride and nothing at the th.
You need to eat a bigger breakfast, man!

Start with:

followed by:

·
Registered
111 Posts
It's not really a question of what you ate at the trail head or on the trail. You should not bonk at 2 miles unless you fasted for a few hours before your ride or just have very bad dietary habits. After an hour or so what you are consuming during the ride starts to matter.

·
bacon! bacon! bacon!
12,453 Posts
will.s said:
It's not really a question of what you ate at the trail head or on the trail. You should not bonk at 2 miles unless you fasted for a few hours before your ride or just have very bad dietary habits. After an hour or so what you are consuming during the ride starts to matter.
Maybe he had 2 cups of coffee with 12 packets of sugar "for breakfast." :D

·
Registered
111 Posts
Maybe what you think of bonking really is just being tired and not 100%, you did after all ride the rest of the trail and where able to push the pace to escape the lightning. When I bonk even the slightest incline has me off the bike and walking.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wait, 2 Dp.Peppers and poptarts arent good enough? Actually a bowl of cereal and two pieces of toast.

Yes I know I eat like crap

Ketchup isnt a vegetable?:eek:

·
enlightened.
1,494 Posts
Bonking 2 miles in could also be a sign of underlying health issues. Some people eat well and still bonk. The only way I can get through a ride is diluted gatorade in my camelbak. And gel packs for anything longer than a short FR ride. By short I mean Chimney/Apex; MW/DR...you get the idea.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I've bonked a little early before because I got the TH later than expected after a meal. Although, that's usually because it's a group ride day and I've been waiting on everyone who forgot their shoes, needs to borrow the only pump (typically mine) to fill their tires, borrow the only bottle of lube (yep usually mine too) for their chain, etc.

But seriously....during a ride you could burn in excess of 1000 calories per hour. IMO for every 5 miles you should eat 1 item of food. Try eating things like fruit or a PB&J. Energy bars and gels are typically the last item in my pack consumed.

My typical ride is somwhere between a 17-25 miles. I'll carry a sandwich (PB&J or Ham/Cheese), banana, apple, peach/Nectarine(In season) and a bar or gel pack. If that seems like a lot, maybe you need a bigger pack.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
i dont eat before riding. if i do i get in trouble. thats in the morning. if i ride aftenoon i dont eat lunch. for some reason i do much much better this way. i then eat during the ride.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.