Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Recovering Weight Weenie
8,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my Clydesdale XC class...from what I saw... I was the only guy riding a 29er!
There were more jacked up seatposts and stretched out cockpits than one could possibley know what to do with!
Someone let me know if there were others...
there must have been about 50-60 clydesdales...22 of whom were in my Beg. class....
I summarily demonstrated the prowess of the 29er as my 29er Vulture SS motored past my entire class...
Perhaps we should send the memo out again?

·
Occasionally engaged…
1,774 Posts
Padre said:
In my Clydesdale XC class...from what I saw... I was the only guy riding a 29er!
There were more jacked up seatposts and stretched out cockpits than one could possibley know what to do with!
there must have been about 50-60 clydesdales...22 of whom were in my Beg. class....
I summarily demonstrated the prowess of the 29er as my 29er Vulture SS motored past my entire class...
With your experience, what are you doing in the beginner class? Between your and the 29er's prowess, none of those poor guys stood a chance...

·
Witty McWitterson
5,023 Posts
PeT, are you calling our dear Padre a..a...sandbagger? ;)

Nice job E. Way to represent the Niner movement! For the record, I don't care if you sandbagged it. :)

·
Sofa King We Todd Did
2,262 Posts
Maybe you didn't mean to come across as a dick, but I read that post and hints of it came across. You're commenting on a beginner class race. Relative newbies, perhaps. Maybe guys with a lot of heart (and girth!), but maybe not a lot of money to toss at a proper 29er. Perhaps they don't have the same disposable income (or fortunate sponsorship opportunities) you and wifey might have, and that's why they don't sport proper 29ers that cost upwards of a grand or so.

Maybe. I dunno, I wasn't there. But how much did your Vulture cost? And have a think about how many riders out there - Clyde or not - can feasibly afford a Vulture or something similar?

Just some of my thoughts I figured I'd share.

·
Cold. Blue. Steel.
1,709 Posts
what he said...

PeT said:
With your experience, what are you doing in the beginner class? Between your and the 29er's prowess, none of those poor guys stood a chance...
jeez, Padre. does it feel good to beat up on guys who prolly really do belong in the "beginner" class? racing Clydes should be enough of a whittling down of competition...
plus, your wife goes and races pro/expert... (kudos to Leslie!!)
you need to set a better example as one of the "face-plates" of this forum (and others).
congrats anyway. but i hope this is your last race in that class. ;)

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Padre said:
I think you put your foot in it this time. Good luck. :D

·
Medium?
6,731 Posts
You guys suck

He did good, and is praising the bikes you all love, and you dump on him. WTF?

As far as I'm concerned, unless you've been on the podium a couple times, beginner is the right place for you.

Padre, if you enter beginner again, now that you've won, I'll jump back over the fence, but in the mean time I'm smiling ear-to-ear. Awesome job! "Beginner" at Sea Otter seldom is. It was a tough race, and you have every reason to be proud.

·
Witty McWitterson
5,023 Posts
Who? Me? you think I'm picking on the poor guy? Nope not I. I fully realize what the competition would be like there. I'd prolly race beginner and finish mid pack at best. All you guys have read into this and insert a tad bit 'o sarcasm. jezuz, don't you guys even look at the stupid little smiley's any more?

·
Recovering Weight Weenie
8,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
FYI Soupboy... Ignitor rear Nano front... was going to keep the exi up front..but was expecting a ton of sand...

And for you SpinWheelz, apparently you were born without a sense of humor...at least that's the way it comes across...
It also appears that you've never been to Sea Otter. It in no way resembles a local XC race.
Last year I raced the Singlespeed class, which has Beg/Sport lumped together. The start line had 200 SS riders, the front 100 of which were basically in all matching lycra and heart rate monitors. I finished about 90 out of the 200, I think.
FWIW, in the Vision Quest...I've finished 2 hours behind my wife for the last 2 years...so I feel like a beginner..
This year..I figured I wanted more competition, and I got it.

Out of the all the clydes on the start line, my bike was probably one of the least expensive. Maverick...Santa Cruz, Trek Fuel, etc, etc, etc....you've never seen "beginners" like that. One guy was an expert roadie (cat 3?) who had never raced mtb. I figured since this crew was on gears...and I'm slowish..it was a fair fight...and it was.
2nd place was behind me by 2 minutes...that's not exactly requiring a mercy rule.
All the guys in my group seemed like competent riders...
And FYI, my Vulture frame cost about $700 when I got it almost 2 years ago.

So what have we learned here today boys and girls...
Apparently, I'm moderatly fast, or at least not a beginner when the ride is under 20 miles... but when it's 50 miles and 11,500 feet of climbing...I'm really slow...

Oh yes...I like 29ers and clydes should ride them....

SpinWheelz said:
Maybe you didn't mean to come across as a dick, but I read that post and hints of it came across. You're commenting on a beginner class race. Relative newbies, perhaps. Maybe guys with a lot of heart (and girth!), but maybe not a lot of money to toss at a proper 29er. Perhaps they don't have the same disposable income (or fortunate sponsorship opportunities) you and wifey might have, and that's why they don't sport proper 29ers that cost upwards of a grand or so.

Maybe. I dunno, I wasn't there. But how much did your Vulture cost? And have a think about how many riders out there - Clyde or not - can feasibly afford a Vulture or something similar?

Just some of my thoughts I figured I'd share.

·
(was) Big in Japan
1,008 Posts
Congratulations!

Padre said:
That's an awesome result! Well done! I have only ever won one race, but the feeling was unforgettable...hope it is for you too!

Yap, these forums are treacherous indeed. I usually come across as a nice, reasonable and friendly guy, when in fact I'm actually a total prick. :D

·
Sofa King We Todd Did
2,262 Posts
Padre, don't accuse me of having a lack of sense of humor. I tossed in my two cents based on what was written, not based on the info that you subsequently shared. I said it myself, I wasn't there, I've never been to Sea Otter, in fact I'm so new to the whole world of mountain biking that: a) I've only been riding for less than a year, b) I've never been to a race much less participated in one, and c) I don't own a 29er.

Without any of the detail you subsequently shared, the original post just came across as being somewhat elitist, despite the tongue-in-cheek approach to the subject. Take that for what it's worth, mate.

·
(was) Big in Japan
1,008 Posts
Spin, are you an Aussie?

SpinWheelz said:
Padre, don't accuse me of having a lack of sense of humor. I tossed in my two cents based on what was written, not based on the info that you subsequently shared. I said it myself, I wasn't there, I've never been to Sea Otter, in fact I'm so new to the whole world of mountain biking that: a) I've only been riding for less than a year, b) I've never been to a race much less participated in one, and c) I don't own a 29er.

Without any of the detail you subsequently shared, the original post just came across as being somewhat elitist, despite the tongue-in-cheek approach to the subject. Take that for what it's worth, mate.
Just curious, coz I notice you use the word mate a lot, and I thought that was only used by us Aussies. If so, where u at/from?

·
Registered
594 Posts
Padre said:
Oh yes...I like 29ers and clydes should ride them....
Padres, I figured you'd at least race Sport - but oh well. I've never been to S.O. so I don't know what I'm talking about.

As for Clydes needing to ride 29ers, they're not the only ones. I saw a bean pole on a 26er last night. The guy looked like he could have passed as a P/1/2 roadie - that lean - maybe 6'6"-6'8". Probably weighed 160 wet. His knees were about 4-5" taller than his wheels and he had about 14" of seat post. Talking about prime candidate for 29er...

·
Recovering Weight Weenie
8,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Perhaps it was my mistake..for anyone who knows me even a little knows I don't "roll like that." My intent was not to elevate myself but to highlight the 29er issue for big guys....

SpinWheelz said:

·
no fat chicks
774 Posts
classes not based on fitness

i disagree. circle gets the square.
if you have ridden a mountain bike for more than a year, get the hell out of beginner class and let the kids and fat guys sort it out like they should. sandbagging because it's a bigger race is such horse ****.

Fast Eddy said:
He did good, and is praising the bikes you all love, and you dump on him. WTF?

As far as I'm concerned, unless you've been on the podium a couple times, beginner is the right place for you.

Padre, if you enter beginner again, now that you've won, I'll jump back over the fence, but in the mean time I'm smiling ear-to-ear. Awesome job! "Beginner" at Sea Otter seldom is. It was a tough race, and you have every reason to be proud.

·
Recovering Weight Weenie
8,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
There were no "fat" guys in the class...no one under 30 even...
not to mention this was my 2nd "race" ever, last year being my 1st.
I raced beginner last year and got 54th...so I figured this year I'm still game for the class.....so I switched from Beg/Sport SS to Beg/Sport Clydesdale..so I pitted myself against "beginner" and "sport" gearies.
That is some creative sandbagging I guess! :rolleyes:
And, man...the whole class had ridden bikes for more than a year... so with your rule....no class at all?

iliketoridebikes said:
i disagree. circle gets the square.
if you have ridden a mountain bike for more than a year, get the hell out of beginner class and let the kids and fat guys sort it out like they should. sandbagging because it's a bigger race is such horse ****.

·
I like bikes
480 Posts
Ditto

Fast Eddy said:
Riding ain't racing. Beginner is for beginner racers, not beginner riders.
I have to admit when I first read that Padre rode the beginner class I had a little chuckle. :rolleyes: I have ridden with him several times and he is no "beginner" to mountain biking. It kind of reminded me of a Seinfeld episode when Kramer was learning martial arts. He was fighting with children but they were at the same "skill level".

However racing is a whole different story compared to riding with friends. :)

Now that Padre has "popped his cherry" and won is it time for him to move up a notch???

Anyway good job represent'in the 29'ers and congrats on the win!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.