Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have experience with this tire? Looking for a good all round race and trail tire and these seem to fit the bill. Also anyone know how they roll compared to a saguaro> Thanks :thumbsup: !

·
Registered
124 Posts
My Rockhopper SL 29 came with this tire. I run it in the back and it is good for semi dry to a damp tacky trail.

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
Nice tire. Rolls fast and steers well.
1 of my favorites.
Had the S-works....but the sidewalls were paper thin....this is holding up better.

·
Rider and Wrench
1,478 Posts
A while back I put a Captain control 2.2 2bliss up front and a 2.0 contrl (not 2 bliss but still converted with stans) out back on my full squish and have really liked the performance overall- Up front it is predictable and rolls fairly well for the traction it offers (I have run Ardent 2.25 & 2.4/Rampage 2.35/Nevegal 2.2...) and not overkill like some other tires for my XC/Trail riding. I recently swapped out the 2.0 Captain for a Fast Track 2.0 2 bliss as my trails are pretty dry and hard right now- For my current trails I can't say the Fast Track is all that much faster but it does break loose a bit easier than the Captain outback in both climbing and braking- I ride mostly XC so it is not a major issue just noticable. I would probably just stick with the 2.0 captain out back for general trail riding - the fast track might be worth considering if you want to gain a bit of speed?

My previous go to on this bike for summer/Fall trail conditionss was an Ardent 2.25 up front and a Crossmark out back, I can't say it is too much better/worse performace wise they both work but the Captain does seem to show wear faster than the Maxxis pair.

·
SSolo, on your left!
2,577 Posts
The 2Bliss 29x2.2 version is on the front of Mary right now and it's a great tire, but wears kinda fast. I'd rather have good steering than a not so good steering tire that lasts forever. :) It's way better especially in loose over hard than my Nevegal 29x2.2 DTC was and Captain is lighter and way faster rolling!

·
Expert Crasher
6,358 Posts
I ran one on a Stan's Flow for a while as a rear tire - I quite enjoyed it.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Ran it as a rear tire. The first one I had lasted 2-3 weeks of riding and was toast. I think it was a bad one. Got the replacement and it worked really well as a rear for the most part. Braking traction in loose gravely sandy stuff is really good, climbing traction is about average (it tended to break away pretty fast in loose stuff), cornering was decent, tended to slide a bit before it dug in. The casing is pretty durable. And I could run it at about 25-26psi without any problems (I'm 205lb). Nice air volume too.

·
Never trust a fart
4,543 Posts
I put a set of these in the 2.2 flavor on my hardtail after a recommendation from knottshore. Been riding them for almost 2 months now. They offer excellent grip on the dry hardpack and loose over hardpack. They are not the fastest tire out there, but the closely spaced center ridge makes these pretty quick. They are a very predictable tire. Grip is one of the best I have felt.

It did rain all day today, so I'm expecting I will find out tomorrow how well it does in the possible mud at a race I have.

·
SSolo, on your left!
2,577 Posts
I've heard good stuff about the Geax Saguaro, but haven't ridden it. Rode the WTB Prowler 29x2.1 around the parking lot yesterday and it seems like a really good tire for hardpack and loose over hardpack, it's on my list of tires to try:

http://www.wtb.com/products/tires/29er/prowlersl29er/

Here's the info on it from WTB's site:

Prowler SL 29er
USAGE:29″ Cross Country
CONDITIONS:Moist to Dry / Hardpack to Loose
MSRP:$50
The Prowler SL 29″ utilizes the distinctive siping, aggressive transitions and side knobs of the 26-inch Prowler family of tires. Yet this 29-inch specific design features shifted center tread and more open spacing. The resulting tread pattern rolls quickly and tracks with precision, especially in sandy, loose conditions.
2.1 52/52 RACE 726g aramid bead | dna rubber | lightweight casing

Captain Control 2Bliss that I'm running is about same weight per Specialized: 730g.

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBCEqProduct.jsp?spid=41811&menuItemId=9304&eid=5098

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
I've tried the various Captain models and like them all. Great all around tires, not necessarily best at any one thing. Just a good tire if you could only pick one tire. It handles most stuff pretty well.

A Saguaro rolls faster, but isn't as versatile, in my opinion.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have the Captain front and the Saguaro rear right now, both in 29 x 2.2 I can't tell you which one is faster but the Captain is quieter on the road and has a little more volume. I like them both but if I changed I'd put the Captain at both ends.

·
change is good
Switchblade with a 38, 29+ rigid WaltWorks
3,589 Posts
've tried the various Captain models and like them all. Great all around tires, not necessarily best at any one thing. Just a good tire if you could only pick one tire. It handles most stuff pretty well.

A Saguaro rolls faster, but isn't as versatile, in my opinion.
Ditto

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Been rocking the 2.2 Cap'n Control for over a year. My favorite front tire in a long time...good jack of all trades.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I think it really depends on where and what you ride. I had the 2.2 for my rear tire last summer/fall and really didn't care for it. I ride in the Pisgah area where we have a lot of real loose conditions and steep ups and downs. I found that it didn't provide adequate braking traction on down hills or good climbing traction on loose climbs. Several local friends also had the same thoughts of the tire. I switched to a 2.25 ardent and am much happier.

·
Did I catch a niner+?
2,957 Posts
Setup:
Flow Rims
Captains 29x2.2
Tubeless

Pros:
Great on slight loom
Really stretches tubeless
Seals well

Cons:
Poor in mud
Kinda breaks on uphills in the rear

This tire needs to be leaned to be used. Most everyone who runs them is going to have the center line and transition knobs touching the dirt (my transitions make full contact all the time), so to get over you really need to rail.

·
West Chester, PA
4,995 Posts
Easiest tubeless setup I've experienced.

The 2.2s have huge volume when mounted on narrow rims like the 355. But, If you mount them on a wider rim like a flow you get a more square profile and you don't have to lay it over as much to get the side knobs to hook up.

Wears a little fast.

Never on sale.

As a rear, great grip on rocks.

·
XC Rider
131 Posts
Love the tire. For tubeless I prefer the controls versus the s-works. The s-works were too squirmy set up tubeless for my 195 lbs. I know a few guys who have had delamination issues with stans and the s-works versions.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok so I went ahead and bought a set, should be here on Thursday. Hope the side walls are a bit thicker on these than the saugaro for the saugaro would get pretty squirmy at any PSI lower than 28. I weight only about 185lbs geared up so hopefully the Captins will be better. Thanks for all the input everyone!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts