Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a $1000 offer for my Yo Eddy that has gathered dust for a few years, rode it last night, and now I'm not sure if I can let go. Selling it would still leave two Fats in the stable, so it's not like I'd give up on retro, but low fork travel aside it's as sweet as a bike gets.

·
VRC Illuminati
17,655 Posts
bitflogger said:
I got a $1000 offer for my Yo Eddy that has gathered dust for a few years, rode it last night, and now I'm not sure if I can let go. Selling it would still leave two Fats in the stable, so it's not like I'd give up on retro, but low fork travel aside it's as sweet as a bike gets.
Nothing worse than sellers remorse.

·
Mantis, Paramount, Campy
4,752 Posts
I Sure Couldn't Turn That Down

If I still had either of the Yo's I've had in the past and someone offered me $1000 it would have been out the door fast enough to knock all the dust off of it. They're nice bikes but can be had for half that much.

·
VRC Illuminati
17,655 Posts
Shayne said:
If I still had either of the Yo's I've had in the past and someone offered me $1000 it would have been out the door fast enough to knock all the dust off of it. They're nice bikes but can be had for half that much.
Somehow I knew you'd low ball the value. You know better. ;)

I guess it would depend on how this Yo was set up though. Borring paint, trashed decals, LX or beat up parts, non-correct fork...I'll agree they could be had for cheap.

Grellow with good paint/decals, Big One fork, full M900 XTR or Grafton/Cook/Ringle bits....$1000 easy.

·
Mantis, Paramount, Campy
4,752 Posts
Just Personal Experience

Maybe its the MTB void that is the Midwest that I live in. Nothing with fat tires holds any value around here.
L with neon orange paint and silver decals big one fork and XT/XTR build, clean enough to eat off, for $650.

·
acoustic motorbike
168 Posts
Shayne said:
Maybe its the MTB void that is the Midwest that I live in. Nothing with fat tires holds any value around here.
L with neon orange paint and silver decals big one fork and XT/XTR build, clean enough to eat off, for $650.
Hey Shane, can you line up some of those undervalued Fats for me? I'm always looking for a good flea market deal. ;) I'll take an 18" Yo in Team Violet, if you can get one or two on the cheap. Fats have very strong value compared to other brands from 10-15 years ago.

Nothing I have seen recently, Midwest or otherwise, has been even close to that range for a clean bike. I think the Grello one on eBay recently was an anomaly and isn't a normal Yo Eddy sale price. Wickeds have been selling for $700 and up, and that was never considered the "must-have" Fat Chance frame, even though I would argue that. I have been tracking Fat sale prices closely for a while, they seem to be gaining in value and have a strong following that is also growing. The market overseas for them is VERY eager to get their hands one them, too.

Maybe it's just me, but I'd have a tough time selling a complete Yo Eddy for $1000.

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Shayne said:
Black w Green splatter, Bullseye cranks and mostly XT build. M/L I think.
I'm thinking I mightI know who originally owned that Monster, and for sure if it came from MA via WI.

The Yo really is mint whether I sell or not. We bought it as my wife's bike when she was trying to get pregnant, it happened, and 3 kids later it's a 100% honest story to say gathering dust and in mint condition - except for wiping off the dust yesterday.

·
Registered
374 Posts
bitflogger said:
The Yo really is mint whether I sell or not...
I'm not doing anyone any favors here but you BF'er. If it's got kitchy aftermarket doodadery on it, you'll make more parting it out, otherwise, a pristine straight build of even m900 or XT is probably a better moneymaker complete. I've got a wily and outrageous collection of Fats myself, and this is the biggest factor aside from frameset condition, which it sounds like is pure and virginal as the driven snow. Very nice. You know, a pic is worth a thousand words, (even if they make up mostly useless opinions).

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Master Shake said:
I'm not doing anyone any favors here but you BF'er. If it's got kitchy aftermarket doodadery on it, you'll make more parting it out, otherwise, a pristine straight build of even m900 or XT is probably a better moneymaker complete. I've got a wily and outrageous collection of Fats myself, and this is the biggest factor aside from frameset condition, which it sounds like is pure and virginal as the driven snow. Very nice. You know, a pic is worth a thousand words, (even if they make up mostly useless opinions).
It is the most conservative Yo I've ever seen, and by plan. My wife wanted no trendy colors, and everything to work easily so I got it's solid blue with XT. The Ringle stem and ti bars are gone, but Ringle seat post remains.

Sorry for no closeup pic, but I'm Mr. Mom for year old twins in the AM - busy busy.

A strange thing about this is that it does not seem right to trash a pristine Yo, and I want a bike for riding over and off of things and in playing the neighborhood park. Again the brain is a funny thing where mine will have no problems trashing a new $500 urban/dirt bike, but can't do it to the pristine Yo.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
For a yo with XT and no fancyness 1000 dollars is a fair price imho.
The question is do you or don't you want to sell it.
Don't bet on being able to replace it easily if you change your mind.

·
resident crackpot
483 Posts
Shayne said:
Shayne, I feel your pain fella! Being from Waterloo...IA...there is virtually nothing to find for us out there...except for people who own old Stumpy's that think they are worth >$1K. There are some early Treks, and the obvious, old Schwinns, but that's about it. I have the sentry posted, but it is very quiet on the front. I had seen a very early ParkPre Hammer a coupla years ago, but it disappeared before I could shoot an offer...I've never seen it again. Slim pickin's on this part of the globe.

·
Illuminati
1,730 Posts
Doug, I've seen 1 lavender Yo on ebay in the 3yrs since I bought mine! The more famous FAT colours (lavender, aqua, grellow etc) deffo make more $$ than the plainer colours.

as eric said, sellers remorse.. how would you really feel without it? :)

·
Registered
676 Posts
On FAT value:

My Yo! (see signature link) did $720.02 in May 2003. Incl. shipping, duties and VAT I spent about 1200 euro on the Yo! I think. If I would want (I don't want!) to sell my Yo! overhere in Holland I face that many aren't aware of FAT and that the dedicated community isn't very large. I wouldn't let it go for under 1200, but I would need to have luck in finding a person in need for a FAT!

As far as I know this is the only one offered overhere. Fact is that it is already for sale for many months. There are only few who want one, but there are also very few FATs offered. Maybe with some luck this Yo! would go for a few hundreds less.

In both cases (selling-buying) I could also go the German route. Don't know on current German pricing. Who does?

Guess US buyers should be really lucky!

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
lucifer said:
For a yo with XT and no fancyness 1000 dollars is a fair price imho.
The question is do you or don't you want to sell it.
Don't bet on being able to replace it easily if you change your mind.
Now I have to decide if I can live with my ridig '92 and Chris road frame only. He's asking for the bike. He is a friend and customer and I suppose there's the option to buy it back if he does not use it.

Wife says sell it and another even though I have said is not a new house and pointed out that moving bikes is easy.

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
bitflogger said:
Now I have to decide if I can live with my ridig '92 and Chris road frame only. He's asking for the bike. He is a friend and customer and I suppose there's the option to buy it back if he does not use it.

Wife says sell it and another even though I have said is not a new house and pointed out that moving bikes is easy.
I'd say that $1000 is a good price for that bike. However if you spend $1000 on a new bike you'll have less of a bike in the end IMO. If it were me, I'd ride it. Bikes were meant to be ridden. Ride it, and enjoy it.

You have a Chance road frame too? My roadie is a 98ish Chance road bike. I love the way it rides.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.