Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The DeeMax wheels arrived. What color rims and hubs should you get? Yeller!

These guys are in stock at Jenson USA and they price matched down to $600.00 for the set. The look and finish are fabulous (built by French guys (unless they have outsourcing also)). These are 05 DeeMax with 28 straight-pull spokes. My CrossMax XL's have 24 spokes. The front wheel is either a 9mm or 20mm, adapter for both included. The rear has it's own axle and nuts.

The first picture is the wheel set with all the adapters, the bearing adjustment tool and the spoke wrench. The second pict shows detail of the front home, the next of the rear hub, the fourth shows the front hub without any adapters and the fifth shows the rear axle.

So far so good. As per my post on the Conti Diesel 2.5, I have had some issues with tires.

Rick
 

Attachments

·
MTB SOCAL
Joined
·
1,456 Posts
Cool pix

Very nice. Let us know what you think after you have given them a ride or two! Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,284 Posts
Nice wheels! I was at Supreblo yesterday and was eyeing a set of those, you saved $75.00 bucks BTW.

Im very interested in these, I have thought about a set of whatever hubs like Hopes or Hadleys and some 823's, so far I like tubless and I want my FR wheel set to be tubless too. My trailbike wheels are Hope Bulb's laced to 819's.
Keep us posted!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Talk about Pricing Weirdness -

When I was ready to buy I was quoted by my LBS at $1,000.00 for the set. Pricepoint had them for $650 as well as Jenson. Airbomb.com had them for $600. Jenson checked and immediately matched Airbomb. I just checked Airbomb and they are up to $650.

I asked the Jenson guy why the LBS would be charging so much and he stated words to the effect that he could understand the LBS going up to $700 but $1000 was out of line - and that is not a direct quote but close enough.

I purchased from Jenson as they are a bigger dealer I think, and they ship fast at least in my experience. Plus everyone here seems to have had good dealings with them. I like my LBS a lot (Erik's in Eden Prairie and in Maple Grove), but the price differential was just too huge. I worry about warranty, but I can purchase a replacement wheel for the $400 in savings should anything go amis.

Just goes to show ya. What I don't know, but it shows.

Rick
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
badlander said:
When I was ready to buy I was quoted by my LBS at $1,000.00 for the set. Pricepoint had them for $650 as well as Jenson. Airbomb.com had them for $600. Jenson checked and immediately matched Airbomb. I just checked Airbomb and they are up to $650.

I asked the Jenson guy why the LBS would be charging so much and he stated words to the effect that he could understand the LBS going up to $700 but $1000 was out of line - and that is not a direct quote but close enough.

I purchased from Jenson as they are a bigger dealer I think, and they ship fast at least in my experience. Plus everyone here seems to have had good dealings with them. I like my LBS a lot (Erik's in Eden Prairie and in Maple Grove), but the price differential was just too huge. I worry about warranty, but I can purchase a replacement wheel for the $400 in savings should anything go amis.

Just goes to show ya. What I don't know, but it shows.

Rick
Erik's imo is far from an lbs....more of a chain shop. You should check out freewheel on the west bank freewheel . One of the best shops in the city for price and quality of work. Tons of other good shops to check out too, grand performance, county cycles, mendota bike, and penn cycle (I know it's similar to erik's, but I've had better luck there)...and if you're into road riding, world cycle productions is over in midway right on university near McD's.

Anyhow, nice set of wheels and good deal from Jenson. I have had great luck ordering from them. Let us know how they work.
 

·
Old school BMXer
Joined
·
2,695 Posts
Since they are straight pull spokes, how do you tighten the spokes without them turning in the hub?

I just bought a set of slightly used '04 Dee Max wheels with Intense Semislick DH tires, Hayes rotors (6/8") and an LX cassette for $300 through a local shop. Yes, I'm stoked. And I even had to think about it - good thing I didn't think too long!
 

·
I dig trails!
Joined
·
5,608 Posts
WeylessXPRider said:
What kind of lacing for the spokes does this wheelset use?
and what are Straight pull spokes?
My Crosslands have similar (if not the same) hubs and the lacing on mine are 2x (the number of times a spoke crosses over another. The weird part is that the crossing spokes don't actually touch. The spokes are "pulled" toward the rim creating a bowed shape but with no touching of other spokes. Seems spooky.

Straight pull spokes have no "L" where they go into the hub, they are, well, straight.

I haven't done any truing so I don't know about them spinning, but I guess if you can prevent wind up in a conventional spoke, you can keep a straight spoke from spinning.

My concern is finding straight pull spokes locally.

Mr. P
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
They are a 3x, but

WeylessXPRider said:
What kind of lacing for the spokes does this wheelset use?
and what are Straight pull spokes?
Because of the nature of the way the hub has the spoke ends side-by-side, the spokes do not actually tough. Just straight pulls. these are 28 spoke.

Straight pull spokes just have a "mushroom" at their ends that fit directly into a receiver on the hub - visable in the pictures. No "J" and mushroom (flattened end). Different design by FRENCH engineers resulting in a far superior wheel than anything on the market. Ok, maybe I have read too much sales literature. :D

Rick
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
184 Posts
drumstix said:
Nice wheels! I was at Supreblo yesterday and was eyeing a set of those, you saved $75.00 bucks BTW.

Im very interested in these, I have thought about a set of whatever hubs like Hopes or Hadleys and some 823's, so far I like tubless and I want my FR wheel set to be tubless too. My trailbike wheels are Hope Bulb's laced to 819's.
Keep us posted!
Take a look at the Magura UST wheelset. The hubs are relabeled DT Hugi FR's, the rims are relabeled Mavic EX823's and the spokes are DT-Competition. Green Fish has them for $450 including free tires (maybe?) plus a choice of QR or 20mm front hub. My set are scheduled to arrive via UPS tomorrow. I hope the tires are included because they did not show up anywhere on the invoice.

http://www.greenfishsports.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=482
 

·
hands up who wants to die
Joined
·
1,405 Posts
Those don't look like Mavic 823s to me. Magura's site lists 'em as XM321s. Big difference. 823s are the top of the line, 321s the bottom.

-rob in NY
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
184 Posts
rpet said:
Those don't look like Mavic 823s to me. Magura's site lists 'em as XM321s. Big difference. 823s are the top of the line, 321s the bottom.

-rob in NY
The picture on the Green Fish website does not match the description (did you take the time to read the description?). This is likely because Magura did not supply catalog pictures for the UST version of their FR wheelset. My set arrived today and the rims are D3.1's. The D3.1 is last years EX 823.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
184 Posts
WeylessXPRider said:
Why is Magura putting their name on Mavic products?
Magura is also putting there name on the DT/Huigi hubs which they have done for years. The reason is they wanted a wheelset with their name on it without the development cost of designing new rims and hubs. This wheelset is very nice and worth every penny of the $450 I paid. The Huigi FR hubs alone retail around $465 ($175 front, $290 rear at SpeedGoat.com).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
734 Posts
badlander said:
Because of the nature of the way the hub has the spoke ends side-by-side, the spokes do not actually tough. Just straight pulls. these are 28 spoke.

Straight pull spokes just have a "mushroom" at their ends that fit directly into a receiver on the hub - visable in the pictures. No "J" and mushroom (flattened end). Different design by FRENCH engineers resulting in a far superior wheel than anything on the market. Ok, maybe I have read too much sales literature. :D

Rick
Pulstar and Tioga hubs used straight pull spokes a dozen or so years ago so i don't think French engineers actually came up with the idea. But the engineers at Mavic were smart enough to spot a better concept (and improve & refine it) for their hubs.

https://www.bikepro.com/products/hubs/hubs_pulstar.html

https://www.trialsin.com/special/tioga.jpg
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top